Video Game Culture VI Justice for all... social or not

Darzin

Oh for crying out loud (re Aoife's link).

What the fuck is wrong with these people.

Oh wait, I'm sure that guy wasn't part of GamerGate either.

I agree it's terrible, but minds will have to be made up. Is posting publicly available personal info to encourage harassment doxxing? I would say definitely yes, however some folks on here say no.

I agree it's terrible, but minds will have to be made up. Is posting publicly available personal info to encourage harassment doxxing? I would say definitely yes, however some folks on here say no.

*golf clap*

You clever man, you.

Or perhaps a spoofed/burner email address isn't quite on the same order as home address in terms of personal information? I'm only going off the link you gave which had the info blacked out, there may have been a real name as well, but I assume someone sending harassment is smarter than that.

Let me rephrase and avoid your sidestep.

Felicia Day's personal information was shared on a post where she said she was afraid of speaking out because her personal information might get shared. Not just because that's on the creepy spectrum anyway, but because she's had serious incidents before based on people finding out her personal information.

She was even careful to say that it was only a handful of people who made her afraid, thus not saying that it was all GamerGaters. She said nothing about the True Start or True Cause of the movement, and simply mentioned that it was a sadness that these few horrible people are driving a wedge between groups of people who all love games. In response, the one thing she mentioned as a real fear came true.

There. No mention of the word "dox" in any of its forms. Now, since it's simply "posting personal information to encourage harassment", can we get past that?

:lol: I love that they've received threats from people who are seemingly so outraged by Gamergate yet simultaneously don't even know enough to get the name right. "We read a Verge article and now we're ready to take down this misogynist group of terrorist nerds!" What a farce this has become.

It seems, to me, to have been a farce from the start with the harassment of Zoe Quinn and Anna Saarkesian.

:lol: When did harassment of Anita Sarkeesian get tacked on to this narrative? At least the whole 'Gamergate started with harassment of Zoe Quinn' line is somewhat plausible considering that whole debacle with ZQ eventually did lead to Gamergate. Although to be fair I'm not sure anyone else is actually making this claim, considering you don't even know enough about her to get either of her names right...I'm also confused as to why you're trying to categorise harassment of women as a farce, seems like something the 'other side' would be more likely to do (those bastards, always trying to "deflect" and "diminish") - harassment is generally a serious matter.

Trying to redefine a movement that started with the harassment of Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian as legitimate is somewhat farcical in my opinion.

Ok, I'll bite. I know how harassment harassment of ZQ has been connected to the start of Gamergate but I'm still mystified as to how you're asserting that it started with harassment of Anita because as far as I know there isn't even a correlation there let alone anything substantive beyond that.

Ok, I'll bite. I know how harassment harassment of ZQ has been connected to the start of Gamergate but I'm still mystified as to how you're asserting that it started with harassment of Anita because as far as I know there isn't even a correlation there let alone anything substantive beyond that.

A lot of them are, quite literally, the same people. We hunted the Mammoth had a bunch of examples.

A lot of them are, quite literally, the same people. We hunted the Mammoth had a bunch of examples.

Isolated bad actors, not representative of True #Arglebarglers, and probably false-flaggers sent by SJW operatives to discredit the operation, I am sure. Also, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian lied about stuff and just want attention so I wouldn't say they asked for the treatment they got, but... well... they lied and want attention...

I get that about right, daskool?

That doesn't surprise me, I don't think these trolls make much of a distinction between the two. Regardless, that does nothing for the claim that Gamergate began with harassment of Anita. Unless the claim is now Gamergate was started by people who harassed ZQ and Anita, which to be less tenuous would probably be altered to 'some of the people involved in Gamergate harassed Anita and ZQ'. Either way if you have evidence I'd like to see it, that Mammoth website probably has 600 articles about Gamergate in the last week so I might need some assistance tracking it down.

Given Anita is one of the Literally Who's it's pretty fucking disingenuous to claim the harassment of her is utterly unrelated gears. The Quinn harassment started it off, a week later a bunch of the fury switched to Anita after her latest video with the death threats forcing her from her home. That was the climate in which LA wrote her 'Gamers are Over' piece, so at absolutely minimum she's involved by being part of the situation that triggered the article that launched a thousand GamerGaters.

Given Anita is one of the Literally Who's it's pretty fucking disingenuous to claim the harassment of her is utterly unrelated gears. The Quinn harassment started it off, a week later a bunch of the fury switched to Anita after her latest video with the death threats forcing her from her home. That was the climate in which LA wrote her 'Gamers are Over' piece, so at absolutely minimum she's involved by being part of the situation that triggered the article that launched a thousand GamerGaters.

I hate to expose my ignorance but I don't know what this bold part means.

I do not doubt that LA's article was (misguidedly) influenced by harassment of ZQ and Anita and I also do not doubt that her's was the article that -as you say- launched a thousand Gamergaters.

I hate to expose my ignorance but I don't know what this bold part means.

ETA: Note that the author seems to be conflating "Gamergaters" with "KIA subredditors" in this paragraph:

ETA2: The first "ETA" label, plus this: KIA here means "KotakuInAction".

"Keep in mind that merely mentioning Wu or Sarkeesian or Quinn to many Gamergaters lights a white-hot fury in them — This is not about them, they will insist, ad nauseam, to the point that the more clever of their lot have started referring to them not by name but by the label "Literally Who" (or LW) 1, 2, and 3 (as in "I literally have no idea who that is")."

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html

ETA: Note that the author seems to be conflating "Gamergaters" with "KIA subredditors" in this paragraph:

ETA2: The first "ETA" label, plus this: KIA here means "KotakuInAction".

"Keep in mind that merely mentioning Wu or Sarkeesian or Quinn to many Gamergaters lights a white-hot fury in them — This is not about them, they will insist, ad nauseam, to the point that the more clever of their lot have started referring to them not by name but by the label "Literally Who" (or LW) 1, 2, and 3 (as in "I literally have no idea who that is")."

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html

Ok, I'm not sure how them assigning her a name in order to say it is not about her is indicative of them harassing her.

That doesn't surprise me, I don't think these trolls make much of a distinction between the two.

They are not trolls. Some sure, but not in general. Trolls do not have the capacity to sustain movements.

Regardless, that does nothing for the claim that Gamergate began with harassment of Anita. Unless the claim is now Gamergate was started by people who harassed ZQ and Anita, which to be less tenuous would probably be altered to 'some of the people involved in Gamergate harassed Anita and ZQ'. Either way if you have evidence I'd like to see it, that Mammoth website probably has 600 articles about Gamergate in the last week so I might need some assistance tracking it down.

Since their actions are often criminal, they are of course anonymous. It can be assumed from simple probability, like everything else. The spread of hatred, the posting of personal info, and even direct calls of harassment has happened in Gater communities, and only there. Who else would it be? Not to mention that these people have been doing this sort of things since the internet became mainstream.

As for starts, there is no objective answer. There never is. Everything has a cause, which in turn has a cause and so on. As every other word and concept used in discourse, they're social construct. And there is still no agreement on when one should say it started. Apparently, it has been politicised in an attempt to keep certain events from being mentioned, by several groups.

Archived