Video Game Culture VI Justice for all... social or not

Darzin

I am not a supporter of gamergate at all, but in fairness the anti-gamergaters have been just as guilty of harassment and blatant insults in this whole affair. Both sides have their fair share of extremists, trolls and jerks, and horrible Twitter posts. Both sides have a plenty of people who couldn't care less about games but joined so they can bash and insult or even harass their ideological enemies.

Oh really?

Do show. I'd love to see the death threats directed at people's families, where they live.

I don't want to speculate about whether threats like that are real -- as we've seen, it's real shitty when you're threatened and people don't believe you. So I'll just say that if you're being threatened, you should report it to the police, and anyone making threats like that belongs in prison. The police not taking threats seriously remains an issue we don't know how to solve.

TotalBiscuit has some great advice on what do if you receive death threats online.

Which makes some sense providing one lives in a functioning country where weapons are rare, belong to a class of people being taken seriously by the police, belong to a class of people that hasn't been threatened into silence for a long time.

One thing this set of advice, which I've seen repeated more often, misses is that making these threats public is partly a political move. It is getting the level of harassment and danger out in the open, putting oneself in some more danger in an attempt to improve quality of life for future generations.

Harassment and threats are unacceptable from anyone to anyone. If people's addresses are being published the police should take the threats seriously and go after the person making the threats.

But Scot you've used the harassment and threats directed at SJWs to condemn the entire gamergate movement.

Daskool,

Yes, because many, if not most, among the Gamergate supporters deflect, diminish, or deny the seriousness of those threats. It is telling, in my opinon, that the person in David's example of a Gamergate supporter getting threats was female.

Threats with addresses attached are serious even if made against your favorite charactures, Social Justice Warriors!

Yes. It is literally a hate group at this point. The word group is important -- you wouldn't call some random white supremacist a hate group. Even if there's several, acting independently, they aren't related. Compare to the Klan, an organized group that makes plans together.

This is a repeat of earlier events, wherein someone attempts to co-opt the language of social justice, but because they regard it as meaningless, do a shit job at it and babble incoherently instead.

Daskool,

Yes, because many, if not most, among the Gamergate supporters deflect, diminish, or deny the seriousness of those threats. It is telling, in my opinoon, that the person in David's example of a Gamergate supporter getting threats was female.

Can you point to the stories, articles, blogs, tweets from the anti gamergate crowd condemning the doxxing, harassment and death threats made against gamergate supporters purportedly for their cause? And would you say the lack of such condemnation diminishes, deflects or denies the seriousness of the threats? Btw I would have absolutely no problem providing examples of the opposite.

Yes. It is literally a hate group at this point. The word group is important -- you wouldn't call some random white supremacist a hate group. Even if there's several, acting independently, they aren't related. Compare to the Klan, an organized group that makes plans together.

This is a repeat of earlier events, wherein someone attempts to co-opt the language of social justice, but because they regard it as meaningless, do a shit job at it and babble incoherently instead.

Many, maybe even a majority, of the gamergate movement are left wing progressives. Comparing #gamergate to ISIS or the KKK simply proves how far removed from reality you are.

Many, maybe even a majority, of the gamergate movement are left wing progressives. Comparing #gamergate to ISIS or the KKK simply proves how far removed from reality you are.

I didn't compare #gibberdorf to ISIS. I mentioned the Klan as another example of a hate group, which is 100% appropriate.

I didn't compare #gibberdorf to ISIS. I mentioned the Klan as another example of a hate group, which is 100% appropriate.

And apparently that can be supported by an academical style analysis, as pointed out in an opinion piece on Jezebel.

<snip to concluding remarks>

It's my theory that #Gamergate as a movement is now acting out of fear. After the release of the IRC logs revealing the movement for what it is, the damning mainstream opinion pieces, and a brutal series of PR losses, the movement is now scared, and lashing out at everything that stands to fit the narrative of their perceived aggressors. At this point, there is no dialogue, even though they still say they are trying to promote one. You simply can't have a sane and productive conversation with someone who would be happier if you killed yourself.

#Gamergate, as they have treated myself and peers in our industry, is a hate group. This word, again, should not lend them any mystique or credence. Rather it should illuminate the fact that even the most nebulous and inconsistent ideas can proliferate wildly if strung onto the organizational framework of the hate group, which additionally gains a startling amount of power online. #Gamergate is a hate group, and they are all the more dismissible for it. And the longer we treat them otherwise, the longer I fear for our industry's growth.

http://jezebel.com/gamergate-trolls-arent-ethics-crusaders-theyre-a-hate-1644984010

And apparently that can be supported by an academical style analysis, as pointed out in an opinion piece on Jezebel.

http://jezebel.com/gamergate-trolls-arent-ethics-crusaders-theyre-a-hate-1644984010

A SJW sociology student concludes that gamergate is a hate group, case closed your honor, bring in the next defendant.

Anyway lets not overlook this guy

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228600-dells-george-reese-compares-gamergate-supporters-to-isis/

daskool,

If the threats against female Gamergaters continue, I'm sure those articles will come. If I had a blog I'd write one. Harassment and threats are wrong, whoever is being targeted.

So only threats against females are worth commenting on?

Archived