Why didn´t Rhaegar married Ashara ?

shardofNarsil

She was Arthur Dayne´s sister , who was close to Rhaegar , daughter to a lord and very beautiful. If Aerys was gonna marry Rhaegar to some Volantene lord´s daughter then why not a westerosi lord´ daughter as House Dayne is an ancient house and Dayne´s also have valyrian features .

Prestige. Old house, but not particularly powerful one. Dynastic marriages are to either preserve bloodline (Targs) or secure powerful support by having them have a vested interest in supporting continuation of dynasty.

Politically speaking, it might not be the best match. The Daynes are a very old family but they aren't one of the "big" ones--they are sworn to another house (Martell). His other choice was a Lannister, and he ends up marrying a Martell so Aerys was obviously going to for the more important houses.

I also think there is a question of mutual attraction. Rhaegar never seemed to pay Ashara any attention and Valyrian looks don't seem to have been a priority for him either--neither Elia nor Lyanna had them.

She was Arthur Dayne´s sister , who was close to Rhaegar , daughter to a lord and very beautiful. If Aerys was gonna marry Rhaegar to some Volantene lord´s daughter then why not a westerosi lord´ daughter as House Dayne is an ancient house and Dayne´s also have valyrian features .

I'm guessing that it's because the Daynes are neither as powerful nor as prestigious as the Martells. Plus, the Martells have Targaryen blood, which might've been important for Aerys.

Speaking of which, do we know what kind of bride Steffon was searching for in Essos? Did the Targaryens of the time suspect the existence of female Blackfyres?

Politically speaking, it might not be the best match. The Daynes are a very old family but they aren't one of the "big" ones--they are sworn to another house (Martell). His other choice was a Lannister, and he ends up marrying a Martell so Aerys was obviously going to for the more important houses.

I also think there is a question of mutual attraction. Rhaegar never seemed to pay Ashara any attention and Valyrian looks don't seem to have been a priority for him either--neither Elia nor Lyanna had them.

I don't think attraction has much to do with it, so long as it's not preclusive. I doubt Rhaegar was consulted much, or at all. Certainly Aerys hadn't been.

I don't think attraction has much to do with it, so long as it's not preclusive. I doubt Rhaegar was consulted much, or at all. Certainly Aerys hadn't been.

True, but the OP mentioned Ashara's beauty as part of the "why" Rhaegar should have married Ashara. I don't think looks played into who Rhaegar's future bride was at all: Elia was lovely but not regarded as a "great beauty." She just came from the right family and it was another way to stick it to Tywin.

Wouldn't that make the martell's mad? they have this perfectly good match elia for rhaegar and he choses a girl from one of their bannermen.

Targaryens also married to Hightowers, so it is not like they only married to Great Houses.

Daynes have Valyrian features but not Valyrian blood (they are First Men) which was a condition for Aerys.

Targaryens also married to Hightowers, so it is not like they only married to Great Houses.

Daynes have Valyrian features but not Valyrian blood (they are First Men) which was a condition for Aerys.

Hghtowers are essentially Great in all but name, and probably greater (small g) than a few GHs.

Hghtowers are essentially Great in all but name, and probably greater (small g) than a few GHs.

True, but we also have Westerling that married with Targaryens...

But did the tyrells of the time have a perfectlly good match for the targareyens?

We don't know that, but it is not that Martells would be infuriated with not marrying with Elia. That being said, everyone would be infuriated with everyone if we would look at it that way.

Why should he? Politically, they are third tier at best. Valyrian ancestors they haven't. True love? That's the only remaining reason..

Nor Ashara. She was dark-haired.

True, but we also have Westerling that married with Targaryens...

That's 270 years in the past, Maegor had 16 wives and executed some of them. Top tier brides were a bit scarce...

Archived