Will we see more Dragons?

BlacktownWalrus

Source?

The Ice Dragon is a children's novel by George R. R. Martin first published in 1980. [1] The novel was published again in October 2007 with detailed pencil drawings illustrations from Yvonne Gilbert. It has eight short chapters and it is written in a poetic style. Discussed is whether the story is set in the same world as the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Some remarkable similarities between the worlds are illustrated, but also some differences. However, several publishers say that it is set in the same world. [2][3]

GRRM has also said that is has been set in Planetos but doesn't give a place or time. Look it up in SSM.

I don't think there will be any more dragons in ASoIaF. I don't think any more would diminish Dany's, because she is very lucky she has her 3. The dragons are gone from the world, Dany's are a one off 3 off (oh, you know what I mean).

PS - unless, right at the end of A Dream of Spring. It all depends on how things pan out over Winter :D

The Ice Dragon is a children's novel by George R. R. Martin first published in 1980. [1] The novel was published again in October 2007 with detailed pencil drawings illustrations from Yvonne Gilbert. It has eight short chapters and it is written in a poetic style. Discussed is whether the story is set in the same world as the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Some remarkable similarities between the worlds are illustrated, but also some differences. However, several publishers say that it is set in the same world. [2][3]

GRRM has also said that is has been set in Planetos but doesn't give a place or time. Look it up in SSM.

The publishers say it's the same world because it sells more copies. I have looked it up and couldn't find any such SSM. Please provide the specific link to which you refer.

That's probably where they came from originally, I think Bran was seeing the past - the birthplace of dragons, foreshadowing that 3 more would be bestowed on a random Targ who burns a pretty powerful blood magic sorceress.

Tis is possible. I happen to subscribe to the more literal interpretation. But it's also possible the vision was more symbolic, a foreshadowing of Daenerys's dragons hatching from eggs from Asshai.

Tis is possible. I happen to subscribe to the more literal interpretation. But it's also possible the vision was more symbolic, a foreshadowing of Daenerys's dragons hatching from eggs from Asshai.

It's not impossible, it's just that it was written as they stirred beneath the sunrise, or something and, as the sun rises in the East I thought that stirring had been fulfilled with Dany.

I do take it as a nice reference of where dragons come from though, the fire center of the world, as far from the Land of Always Winter as possible.

I always thought Tyrion saw one in DWD just before he gets thrown in the Rhoyne he describes what sounds like leather wings flapping over head.

I'm convinced there will b an ice dragon I think I got a lot of people on that kick lately. Also Nettles Dragon gotta pop up somewhere.

Bran will Warg a dragon I think he's gonna follow a lost dragon from the past through his dreams like the ice dragon or Nettles Dragon to present day then locate them that way.

Im list on the Greyjoys no clue what they r about but there drowned god comes up a bit in Dance to match a patchface prophecy So I think their part in the series is elsewhere and not with dragons.

The Ice Dragon is a children's novel by George R. R. Martin first published in 1980.

"The Ice Dragon" is not a children's novel. It is not for children, and it is not a novel. It is a short story, written for adults, and containing scenes of rape and gang rape. These elements were edited out of the 2007 publication, but the fact remains that the story was NEVER written for children and is not particularly appropriate for them, even without the rape scenes.

Yes, it has been marketed as a children's novel (and yes, with GRRM's approval), but that is a cynical marketing deception.

And yes, it has been marketed as part of the ASOIAF world (and yes, GRRM has permitted that as well). This too is an attempt to sell books. There may be some truth to the idea that there is a relationship, but the failure to pin down the story in terms of place and time on the ASOIAF world makes the claim essentially meaningless. Basically, when he set out to write ASOIAF, he reused some of his ideas from an earlier short story.

The hints about an ice dragon (if they're a thing) might just refer to Jon Snow. Assuming he's a dragon (Targ) by birth, "ice" might refer to what happens to him when he dies or how he comes back, or just how cold/calculating he becomes. There's enough mentions of that point already...

It would be good to see more regular dragons. It would break the mould of Dany's "specialness" which would make for interesting reading. It would test her mettle as a leader/commander, with her main drawcard not being as strong as she's used to.

I also think it's possible for new dragons to hatch - I get the feeling that hatching eggs involved the fire of adult dragons, which now exist for the first time since just after the Dance. Would be cool if Dany's dragons start laying/hatching eggs. Would be especially cool if two of her dragons get stolen and whoever stole them works out how to hatch eggs. Suddenly, Dany's only got Drogon...

I don't think we'll see any Others dragons...but we may learn there are dragons still alive in the Shadowlands beyond Asshai.

But remembering all the dragons that the Targaryens were able to hatch on Westeros were sickly and most died small...I think it is possible that all the other dragons we may see would be smaller.

It could be that dragons are a type of firewyrm or descendants from firewyrms...therefore we could see them again.

Yeah but when Dragons battle dragons, dragons die. Don't you guys want to see dragon vs dragon.....more than once or twice?

With only three dragons in the story that will be a little difficult. I would stake everything that either one of Danys dragons will be turned into a wight dragon or we will see new dragons

It would be good to see more regular dragons. It would break the mould of Dany's "specialness" which would make for interesting reading.

Personally, I've never found this argument to be particularly persuasive. Do we want more of the POV characters to have warging/Faceless Man training/Red Priest magic as well?

Yeah but when Dragons battle dragons, dragons die. Don't you guys want to see dragon vs dragon.....more than once or twice?

Nah, once or twice will be enough. Gives the dragons more individual sympathy if there are less of them.

And there are plenty of ways the 3 dragons we have can die, or even be turned on each other - skin changing, for a start. Dragon horns.

There will be more emotional impact if the final conflict involves those 3 beasties forced into conflict with each other.

That's a given.....Dany will only have Drogon

It's almost fact...

Here's how I see it going -

Dany has Drogon

Ironborn (Victarion/Euron) Will get Rhaegal

Tyrion and Co. (Sellswords, Jorah, Brown Benn - rem. it was Viserion that took a liking to Brown Benn Plumm)

-Who the dragon rider of Viserion will be is up in the air, I do not see Tyrion riding a dragon. My money's on Brown Benn Plumm being the dragon rider of Viserion to start.

But Viserion will change hands, owners, riders.

In my gut I feel Jon will eventually ride Viserion.

I think Rhaegal might end up with Aegon Targaryen

But more so I really do believe we will see atleast one more dragon. Around the same age and size of Danys. Or perhaps older and larger.

Many prophecies point and hint to it.....

"Waking dragons out of stone......stone beast taking wing from a smoking tower breathing shadow fire......

And yes I know prophecies are not meant to be taken too literally all the time......but sometimes it is what it is.....

Looking at it in terms of the wights.......Even if only 1 dragon is alive by the time the others invade Westeros, All the dragon has to do is breath on them...from the sky even....it seems to be a little one sided....the others have to atleast have something on the level of a dragon

That's a given.....Dany will only have Drogon

It's almost fact...

Otherwise, Vyserion and Rheagal will just be hanging around.. In PtatQ, it was pretty clear that riderless dragons are unreliable at best.

Aegon might not get a dragon. In the Dance of the Dragons 2.0, his claim to legitimacy will be his crazy military victories in Westeros (I like the theory he will save Oldtown from the Ironborn). Dany's claim to legitimacy will be Drogon. There's lots of ways it could play out, Aegon might even die poetically while trying to mount a dragon. If he gets a dragon on top of everything he will have achieved, he will be far too easily the best person to rule. It's poetic to leave him without a dragon, the one assumedly sure sign of Targ legitimacy. Everyone will always question if he's the real Aegon, and the one way he could prove it will (hopefully) be denied him.

Looking at it in terms of the wights.......Even if only 1 dragon is alive by the time the others invade Westeros, All the dragon has to do is breath on them...from the sky even....it seems to be a little one sided....the others have to atleast have something on the level of a dragon

Yeah I reckon that the Others will have a surprising effect on dragons. It would be impossibly unbalanced ("every song must have its balance") if dragonflame and dragonglass can just obliterate the Others without any vulnerability in return. If there is a fabled Ice Dragon, it might "breathe" ice that easily destroys dragons.

Archived