Author stalked blogger who gave bad review on Goodreads

Isis

I don't think gullibility is the issue -- we just have different values. I don't see going to someone's house to discuss something they said about one's work as something terrible. Sure, it's slightly weird with the weirdness proportional to distance traveled (i.e. talking to someone who lives down the street is not worth a mention while flying to another continent is very weird), but it's harmless. As I said, actually attacking or threatening someone is a completely different story, but simply showing up at the house of a stranger is not wrong in and of itself.

This is so weird to me. Can I go to an author's house to discuss their work? A TV personality to point out a difference in opinion? My favorite singer's house because I swear that last song was about me and I have to see if I was right?

The whole thing has me so disgusted with the world.

Edit: People on other sites have pointed out that this is going to be baaaad for the self published book industry. Already seen a lot of people saying that they will now no longer even accept free copies of self published books let alone review them.

I don't think gullibility is the issue -- we just have different values. I don't see going to someone's house to discuss something they said about one's work as something terrible.

You need to break that down a little, though. I mean, in order to go to someone's house, you need to know where they live. How did the author find that out? By subterfuge and deception. That's surely not just a question of 'different values' - that's wrong.

If the one star had to be delivered in person, with like the author at a desk you had to place the one star on, would it be mind boggling if, when you present the one star, the author dares to actually speak and say "Why did you give me one star?"

I'm not really sure what your point is here. The author can, if they really want to, ask 'why did you give me one star' to a review on the internet although that's a bit of a silly question because most reviews, including from all appearances the one in question, will tell you why- in fact that's the whole bloody point. This is the thing, really - on sites like that (and this), usernames and things really isn't about hiding behind an internet identity because at the end of the day you're still known by that internet identity and any concerns can be addressed to you. If someone has concerns about something I say or the way I behave, I'm not gonna brush it off because they know me as 'polishgenius' rather than 'Lukasz', and if I was the sort of person to do that it wouldn't make much difference whether or not my name was real. I'm not anonymous, I'm just known by a rather self-aggrandizing nickname.

Whereas the two incidents being discussed in this topic demonstrate exactly why keeping your real name separate from your internet name can be a good idea.

There was a guy in the comments section of the original Guardian piece that kept on stating that 'people turn up at my house all the time, it's totally cool!' (loosely paraphrased) - expressely because he wouldn't be frightened (physically) of most people.

Well, bully for him. I do not like unsolicted callers (complete strangers) turning up at my door for a chat.

I don't think gullibility is the issue -- we just have different values. I don't see going to someone's house to discuss something they said about one's work as something terrible. Sure, it's slightly weird with the weirdness proportional to distance traveled (i.e. talking to someone who lives down the street is not worth a mention while flying to another continent is very weird), but it's harmless. As I said, actually attacking or threatening someone is a completely different story, but simply showing up at the house of a stranger is not wrong in and of itself.

it's not just innocently travelling to someone's house; she lied and obtained the address of this STRANGER to her, paid for a background check on her, hired (paid) for a damn rental car to go there. It's all sorts of wrong; it's all sorts of creepy.

The wine bottle attacker has a blog and now claims to be suffering mental health issues:

http://richardbrittain.wordpress.com

I'd strongly suggest that anyone who travels the entire length of Britain to hit someone over the head with a wine bottle and then leave is pretty obviously suffering from mental health issues. That doesn't exactly justify his actions.

He had a chastening experience?!!!!

He wrote a blog post about it- jesus christ, this isn't the same guy who wrote that terrifying thing about stalking someone is it?

ETA: WAIT A MINUTE

The blog you linked to, Scot, seems to be written by that guy who wrote the massively creepy thing about stalking a girl who was obsessed with - starting with an attempt to get her to be in his University Challenge team when they were at uni together. Does everyone know the thing I am talking about? It was all over twitter last week or the week before. That blog post called 'The Benevolent Stalker' on this guy's blog has now been deleted.

Is THIS definitely the same guy who hit someone with a bottle for giving him a bad review? Because if it is... that guy is a danger to the public.

It is the same person. In the previous "benevolent" stalking post he explained how he thought they could fake kudnapping and "let the nation look for them" and become famous. He is crazy and probabky should be put somewhere he would not have potential to put his insane ideas in practice.

But guys, it's OK for strangers to just show up where you are because you said something about their book/movie/steak fries on the Internet. They just want to talk about it.

Can you imagine if MC tracked down someone who gave him a poor review on Yelp? And then showed up at their home? Really?

Good criticism should create discourse. That is all it should create. And if it's bad or inflammatory there are ways to deal with it that do not involve crazy. Really.

I find it absolutely baffling that ANYONE would consider it acceptable to track down someone from the internet so that you can confront them in person. Even without doing anything else, that is already way across the line.

For the people who say this isn't a big deal, how's this for a hypothetical. Someone PM's you on this board and says "I strongly disagree with your post on topic X. I notice from your profile that you live only five hours away by car, I was planning to drive over and talk with you about it in person. Could you provide your address?"

Would ANYONE give out their address in that situation? OF COURSE NOT!

And even that scenario is much less crazy that what the author in the OP did, because she didn't provide any warning at all, she just went over there to have her confrontation. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Archived