Sympathy for Cersei?

morticia

Well Robert did hit her in front of Ned and knowing Robert it's quite within his personality to abuse Cersei sexually.

Well, Robert almost never had an actual intercourse with her according to Cersei herself so his sexual abuse was not that bad, I think.

I was asking if Robert hitting Cersei in front of Ned happened in the books as well as in the show.

He hit her in the book as well. That actually led to the funniest Ned's joke when she hit Ned, lol. That being said, Cersei herself told to Ned that Robert wasn't really beating her that much or else Jaime would have killed her. Still doesn't excuse Robert at all.

I was asking if Robert hitting Cersei in front of Ned happened in the books as well as in the show.

Like I mentioned before it happened in the books as well. Here's the actual account of the action.

"Purple with rage, the king lashed out, a vicious backhand blow to the side of the head. She stumbled against the table and fell hard, yet Cersei Lannister did not cry out. Her slender fingers brushed her cheek, where the pale smooth skin was already reddening. On the morrow the bruise would cover half her face."

-aGoT Eddard X

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Chapter_39

He hit her in the book as well. That actually led to the funniest Ned's joke when she hit Ned, lol. That being said, Cersei herself told to Ned that Robert wasn't really beating her that much or else Jaime would have killed her. Still doesn't excuse Robert at all.

Little did we know that Ned possessed a dry sense of humor. He and Stannis would have gotten along fantastically.

I said claimed, we have seen that he hit her. How is in his personality to rape Cersei? Everyone who slaps someone is a rapist? Or those who like sex means that they are rapists? :ack:

He was a coward and hid behind alcohol to justify his behavior according to Cersei which I agree with seeing how his behavior with difficult situations was "fuck it, bring the wine". I'm not saying that people who like sex are rapists, I'm saying that how Robert's a sex addict (having sixteen children is not normal) and a drunk I could see him abusing his "rights" as Cersei's husband.

Still it was a quite horrible abuse to Cersei.

Well, considering that he didn't really have sex with her, I imagine all his abuse consisted of him being drunk, getting on top of Cersei and falling asleep. Obviously not a pleasant experience for any woman when a drunk pig gets on top of you but considering that he almost never actually penetrated her, I guess all those moments were short and not really painful. Just disgusting. At that time many women were in a much worse situation.

He was a coward and hid behind alcohol to justify his behavior according to Cersei which I agree with seeing how his behavior with difficult situations was "fuck it, bring the wine". I'm not saying that people who like sex are rapists, I'm saying that how Robert's a sex addict (having sixteen children is not normal) and a drunk I could see him abusing his "rights" as Cersei's husband.

According to Cersei are the magic words. What she says doesn't make it right. Sex addicts are not rapists.

Seeing how he was then it was most into his character to "hire" someone.

I don't see why Robert raping her wouldn't be true though? Who is there for her to lie to? These were her personal reflections on her marriage. I highly doubt she'd lie to herself to make herself feel better for killing him.

I don't see why Robert raping her wouldn't be true though? Who is there for her to lie to? These were her personal reflections on her marriage. I highly doubt she'd lie to herself to make herself feel better for killing him.

She is a pathological liar and a complete sociopath, not a far stretch for her to believe her own lies...

She did lied to herself about killing Melara. She is a sociopath and I hate this word, but she is, She lies about everything.

Well, considering that he didn't really have sex with her, I imagine all his abuse consisted of him being drunk, getting on top of Cersei and falling asleep. Obviously not a pleasant experience for any woman when a drunk pig gets on top of you but considering that he almost never actually penetrated her, I guess all those moments were short and not really painful. Just disgusting. At that time many women were in a much worse situation.

"Usually he rolled off and went to sleep as soon as it was done, and was snoring before his seed could dry upon her thighs. She was always sore afterwards, raw between the legs, her breasts painful from the mauling he would give them...In the first few years, when he mounted her more often, she would close her eyes and pretend he was Rhaegar."

-aFfC Cersei VII

Since Cersei remembers her being "raw between the legs" I do think that it involved penetration.

Later on Cersei uh, "finished" him in other ways, though.

EDIT: Minor typo

But she told herself to Ned, that she has never let him touch her for a long time:

"If truth be told, I can scarcely bear for him to touch me, and I have not let him inside me for years. I know other ways to pleasure him, when he leaves his whores long enough to stagger up to my bedchamber. Whatever we do, the king is usually so drunk that he's forgotten it all by the next morning."

Archived