What would you have done?

Crow's eye in the sky

Its easy to give a character flack, especially when you're in a comfortable swivel chair, raging at the keyboard. But what would you have done in their shoes, seeing with everything that they know in mind?

Rules of the game, what happened before the scenario does not apply, and neither does modern western morality, Only westeros morality, and essos morality in the case of Dany apply.

1. Catelyn Stark: Tyrion Lannister, a man that may have a role in the attempt on Bran's life catches you trying to blend in with the locals. From the angle you see things through, the Lannister family is actively trying to silence you, what do you do upon being called.

2. Ned Stark: You are currently rotting in the Black cells, and have the option to falsely confess, or die.

If you confess, you may be allowed to join the Nights Watch, and be with your um ... bastard.

If you refuse, death is certain and unpleasant, this could have dangerous consequences for your daughter.

3. Stanns Baratheon: You have the option to kill your brother, before he attacks you. Would you accept the option?

4. Tyrion Lannister: Your father demands that you marry a girl about half your age. She is without doubt the best match you could possibly stand to get, and she brings you a claim. Will you agree to it?

5. Brienne of Tarth: You have to bring Jaime to the brotherhood without Banners. If you refuse, you will die, and so will Podrick Payne.

6. Jon Snow: You have the option of swearing fealty to Stannis and fighting the Boltons as well as getting a marriage to Val, do you accept

7. Daenerys Targaryen: Daario, your lover boy proposes a red wedding scenario.

As always, I often kick things off with my personal answers

1. I would seize him, but I would prefer to have him tried on Northern soil.

2. Confess, because my daughter is most likely on the line

3. I would, because Renly is fair game at this point.

4. Yes I would. The marriage would bring me quite a bit and only a fool would refuse. besides, refusing would be a pointless gesture since she would just get married to another Lannister, and the idea of having a place to get away from a sister and a nephew that want me dead and a father who would be content to see it happen, alone just might seal the deal for me. I can't truthfully answer however, if I would consumate the marriage or not.

5. I would, because my own life is on the line not to mention Podrick's.

6. I would most certainly accept, maybe just for the chance to marry Val not to mention bathe in Bolton blood. I admit this is kind of selfish (and therefore out of character with Jon) considering what this would leave the watch in.

7. This one is pretty hard for me, on one hand it would heighten tensions outside of Mereen and make even more enemies, but on the other hand, the culture of Mereen is such that I feel the Mereenese nobles need to be extinguished root and stem. I would refuse this one, but I don't think I would be horrified by the idea.

Feel free to add you own scenario to the game.

Edit: Some of you have, so here are a few that i'll answer as they are posted.

8. Cersei: You are terrified of the frogs prophecy being fulfilled. You have been told a younger queen will take your place and the volonqar will take your life. What measures would you take to insure this won't happen?

9. Robb Stark: You have promised to marry a girl you have never seen for political reasons. Your country's future my depend on the alliance. But there is this other girl, who has sacrificed her virginity to comfort you in great distress. You know what it means to her in the society where you live. Who would you marry?

10. Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully: You are defending the last important fortress of a lost cause. You know you cannot hold the castle forever. Your nephew and liege lord has been captured by the enemy. You may or may not be able to save his life if you give up the castle, but he is certainly doomed when the castle is taken by force. What would you do?

11. Samwell Tarly: Your best friend is mourning the death of several of his loved ones. You know that one of his brothers he believes to be dead is in fact alive, but you have promised not to tell anyone. Would you keep your promise?

12. Sansa Stark: You know who has killed your Aunt Lysa. You also know this murder saved your life. Another man is framed by the real murderer, a man you have no reason to love. The actual murderer is hiding and protecting you in a life-threatening situation. Would you lie for him?

13. Arianne Martell: You have every good reason to believe that your father plans to disinherit you and set you up in a marriage wherein you're guaranteed to be miserable for the rest of your life. You have complete control over the most useful political football in Dorne, Myrcella, and more than your fair share of insecurities.

Its easy to give a character flack, especially when your in a comfortable swivel chair, raging at the keyboard. But what would you have done in their shoes, seeing with everything that they know in mind?

Rules of the game, what happened before the scenario does not apply, and neither does modern western morality, Only westeros morality, and essos morality in the case of Dany apply.

1. Catelyn Stark: Tyrion Lannister, a man that may have a role in the attempt on Bran's life catches you trying to blend in with the locals. From the angle you see things through, the Lannister family is actively trying to silence you, what do you do upon being called.

2. Ned Stark: You are currently rotting in the Black cells, and have the option to falsely confess, or die.

3. Stanns Baratheon: You have the option to kill your brother, before he attacks you. Would you accept the option?

4. Tyrion Lannister: Your father demands that you marry a girl about half your age. She is without doubt the best match you could possibly stand to get, and she brings you a claim. Will you agree to it?

5. Brienne of Tarth: You have to bring Jaime to the brotherhood without Banners. If you refuse, you will die, and so will Podrick Payne.

6. Jon Snow: You have the option of swearing fealty to Stannis and fighting the Boltons as well as getting a marriage to Val, do you accept

1 - I would probably lie that I'm travelling to see family in the Riverlands, and then move on. If there were enough evidence to actually condemn him, then that is another matter, but clearly there is not.

That being said, If I did arrest him, going to the Vale might have been a clever dodge, but I think then going to Gulltown and by ship to Dragonstone might have made more sense. Only King Robert can really settle a dispute of this magnitude - Robert alone without the Lannisters tagging along, so Stannis might be the only safe party to contact (King's Landing would not be safe). The issue here was that Catelyn gave off the impression this was a hostage taking, not an arrest for attempted murder. Had Tyrion died in the Eyrie, none would have named it justice, even if the trial was admistered correctly.

2 - Clearly Eddard was not concerned for his own life, only Sansa's (which was definitely on the line). Then again, knowing the Lannisters' natures, a confession might be all for nothing.

3 - Yes, I think it was fair game at that point. Kinslaying is bad, but Renly was equally willing to take the crown over your dead body; he just didn't think he would be the one to die. Be it by the sword or by the shadow, it still has consequences. I'd rather the situation never happened at all, but Stannis chose to go there and confront him, and Renly chose to reject that last (quite generous) offer. At that point, one of them was bound to die at the other's hands.

4 - So, I am Tyrion: My father is an evil dictator who has ruined every aspect of my life, since my birth. He is very good at ruining lives. Since I am not even fully aware yet of just how much that is true, I am still trying to prove myself loyal to my family heritage. Monstrous as it all is. (Monstrous as I am. Everyone says so.) Speaking of monsters, if I refuse, the girl is likely to be turned over to a weakling like Lancel who can't or won't protect her, or even the likes of Gregor Clegane, because it would be just like my father to do something like that. On the other hand, if I accept, I can fantasize about running away with this girl and Shae too; maybe she might one day not loathe me, and I can be a man instead of a twisted monkey demon. Of course who am I kidding? The reality of this is that my father is basically demanding that I be a monster and rape her. I do not want to be a monster (and yet, I am destined to be one - everyone says so, especially my family). So... is this even a real choice ? Like everything my father arranges for people, no. I'm as trapped as she is, and once again secretly ashamed to be a Lannister. FML.

5 - I am not a Brienne of Tarth. I cannot answer what it would be like to be a woman who has lived what she has, and then fall in love with some more-or-less-evil knight who has many terrible things to answer for.

6 - No, because then I'd be betraying my Stark honour. And the Watch. And quite possibly the world.

7 - Daario is my what?! Fuck this shit, I'm out. *flips table*

1. I play it cool then have tyrions movements watched by one of my companions. Leave without making a scenario so as to not raise suspicion, then do a runner.

2. Die. Because I'm a Noble Nedd.

3. No. Kinslaying is a heinous crime.

4. Yes because being a young, innocent tyrion, I'm a hopeless virgin. And why would my big brother lie to me?

Damn, I read the question wrong. I thought it was about marrying Tysha not Sansa :drool:

5. Yes. This will buy me some time to come up with a plan.

6. Yes, I'm fed up with everyone calling me a bastard.

7. I have no idea.

I also add:

8. Cersei: You are terrified of the frogs prophecy being fulfilled. You have been told a younger queen will take your place and the volonqar will take your life. What measures would you take to insure this won't happen?

I would become a silent sister. The realm would be so much happier.

1. Same as Pod. No evidence, nothing at all really other than the word of Littlefinger and a suspicion. Realize this will not end well. Let Tyrion go.

2. Confess. Much as I hate it, I have to protect my daughter.

3. Kill him. All is fair in love and war, and if I don't, I die tomorrow. Not at Renly's hand, but by his command is no better.

4. This is a choice? Of course I will, I can't say no to my dad, no matter how much I hate him. If he commanded me to marry Lollys Stokeworth I wouldn't have a choice either. He is emperor of Westeros essentially.

5. Yes. Jaime may only have one hand, but he has a chance. Besides, I believe him to be innocent, so he might have a choice. The alternative is having the Tripod hang.

6. No. I have sworn an oath to the Watch, and this goes against the spirit and letter of the oath. Also, Winter is Coming. The WW are the real threat, and I am the only one besides Stannis who knows it.

7. Sure. Except have Daario plan it, then expose him just before he murders the Mereenese. Gets Daario out of my hair. (Man, I hate that guy.)

Its easy to give a character flack, especially when your in a comfortable swivel chair, raging at the keyboard. But what would you have done in their shoes, seeing with everything that they know in mind?

If you confess, you may be allowed to join the Nights Watch, and be with your um ... bastard.

If you refuse, death is certain and unpleasant, this could have dangerous consequences for your daughter.

1. I play it cool, say I'm on my way to Riverrun to visit my family, then I rush to Riverrun, tell Edmure everything, get some Tully men, dress them in plain clothes (no sigils, no banners) and then I command them to ambush Tyrion's meager group and bring him to Riverrun blindfolded. Then I held him hostage while I question him, and later he'll be joined in the dungeons by his big brother

2. I don't confess. I realize Varys is bluffing, since I know Cersei wouldn't hurt Sansa. So I just sit tight and wait for Renly and Stannis to make their move.

3. I kill him, that's the only choice

4. Yeah, I marry her

5. Yeah, Pod is worth a hundred Jaimes

6. Hell yeah, I marry Val and accept Winterfell

7. I tell Daario: "Do whatever you like" and then I hop on Drogon and fly to Westeros

1. Same as Pod. No evidence, nothing at all really other than the word of Littlefinger and a suspicion. Realize this will not end well. Let Tyrion go.

2. Confess. Much as I hate it, I have to protect my daughter.

3. Kill him. All is fair in love and war, and if I don't, I die tomorrow. Not at Renly's hand, but by his command is no better.

4. This is a choice? Of course I will, I can't say no to my dad, no matter how much I hate him. If he commanded me to marry Lollys Stokeworth I wouldn't have a choice either. He is emperor of Westeros essentially.

5. Yes. Jaime may only have one hand, but he has a chance. Besides, I believe him to be innocent, so he might have a choice. The alternative is having the Tripod hang.

6. No. I have sworn an oath to the Watch, and this goes against the spirit and letter of the oath. Also, Winter is Coming. The WW are the real threat, and I am the only one besides Stannis who knows it.

7. Sure. Except have Daario plan it, then expose him just before he murders the Mereenese. Gets Daario out of my hair. (Man, I hate that guy.)

In regards to four, it is commonly argued that Tyrion technically could have refused (i'm not saying that it would have been a good idea though). I added this one because any thread that has Tyrion and Sansa both in the OP title is rediculously delicate. Some posters actually vilify Tyrion for agreeing to the aforementioned choice, though it would not have mattered to Sansa at all except for a different face and first name. Lollys Stokeworth, was an alternative option with no conceiveble benefits to marrying, (besides fertility) which is why Bronn got to marry her later on.

As far as seven, that's pretty funny.

1. I play it cool then have tyrions movements watched by one of my companions. Leave without making a scenario so as to not raise suspicion, then do a runner.

2. Die. Because I'm a Noble Nedd.

3. No. Kinslaying is a heinous crime.

4. Yes because being a young, innocent tyrion, I'm a hopeless virgin. And why would my big brother lie to me?

5. Yes. This will buy me some time to come up with a plan.

6. Yes, I'm fed up with everyone calling me a bastard.

7. I have no idea.

I also add:

I would become a silent sister. The realm would be so much happier.

Cersei: I would probably try not to antagonize my brother, but I would still be looking for discreet ways for him to go. Wait if Tyrion dies and it pisses off Jaime (oh damn, this one's good).

Its easy to give a character flack, especially when you're in a comfortable swivel chair, raging at the keyboard. But what would you have done in their shoes, seeing with everything that they know in mind?

I love the idea of this game, but the questions are difficult to answer (which is a good thing). :)

1. I don't think I'd be as brave as Catelyn, so I don't think it would occur to me that I could capture Tyrion. (I remember being completely taken by surprise when Catelyn did it.) However, I would make sure to remind him that I'm surrounded by the men of my father's bannermen (as Catelyn did), just in case. Then I would want to get in touch with Ned urgently, so I would reach for my mobile phone hire a couple of men to take a (coded) message to him.

2. Confess. For my children.

3. I never had a brother or a sister and I always wanted one, so I can't imagine killing him, not even for a crown.

4. With that kind of father, I'd probably have little choice. But I would try a bit harder to reassure Sansa and I' d try to be even more understanding. (If I were a man... hm.)

5. I would fetch Jaime, but I would also tell him what to expect so he can be prepared and I would hope he will behave like a true knight.

6. I'm pretty sure Jon did the right thing for a number of reasons, so I hope I would have the strength to do the same... but would I? :dunno: And how would it be different if I were really, really, in love with the girl?

7. No. And Daario would never be my lover boy :eek: to start with.

8. Cersei: I'd try to forget the prophecy or convince myself that it's rubbish... but it wouldn't be easy. My relationship with my little brother(s) would probably be poisoned.

Added scenarios:

9. Robb: You have promised to marry a girl you have never seen for political reasons. Your country's future my depend on the alliance. But there is this other girl, who has sacrificed her virginity to comfort you in great distress. You know what it means to her in the society where you live. Who would you marry?

10. The Blackfish: You are defending the last important fortress of a lost cause. You know you cannot hold the castle forever. Your nephew and liege lord has been captured by the enemy. You may or may not be able to save his life if you give up the castle, but he is certainly doomed when the castle is taken by force. What would you do?

11. Sam: Your best friend is mourning the death of several of his loved ones. You know that one of his brothers he believes to be dead is in fact alive, but you have promised not to tell anyone. Would you keep your promise?

12. Sansa: You know who has killed your Aunt Lysa. You also know this murder saved your life. Another man is framed by the real murderer, a man you have no reason to love. The actual murderer is hiding and protecting you in a life-threatening situation. Would you lie for him?

Added scenarios:

9. Robb: You have promised to marry a girl you have never seen for political reasons. Your country's future my depend on the alliance. But there is this other girl, who has sacrificed her virginity to comfort you in great distress. You know what it means to her in the society where you live. Who would you marry?

10. The Blackfish: You are defending the last important fortress of a lost cause. You know you cannot hold the castle forever. Your nephew and liege lord has been captured by the enemy. You may or may not be able to save his life if you give up the castle, but he is certainly doomed when the castle is taken by force. What would you do?

11. Sam: Your best friend is mourning the death of several of his loved ones. You know that one of his brothers he believes to be dead is in fact alive, but you have promised not to tell anyone. Would you keep your promise?

12. Sansa: You know who has killed your Aunt Lysa. You also know this murder saved your life. Another man is framed by the real murderer, a man you have no reason to love. The actual murderer is hiding and protecting you in a life-threatening situation. Would you lie for him?

9. I would find a good bannerman to marry her, hell maybe Olyvar Frey (wouldn't that be funny).

10. I would yield the Castle (cause I love Edmure), right after sneaking everyone important out the river gate.

11. I would tell him, Jon is a brother to Bran and deserves to know that Bran is still alive.

12. I hate to say it, but yes because I would currently be wanted for regicide and am still dependant on the real murderer.

good questions.

1. I would have tried to hide or escape before Tyrion saw me, failing that I would have eaten with him the whole time watching him carefully and trying to trick him into a confession

2. Confess.

3. Since we were at war, killing Renly when I had a chance was the logical choice

4. If I don't marry her my father and sister will make my miserable life more miserable so I would do it and try to treat her kindly in hopes that she may come around willingly

5. Bringing Jaime to Stoneheart to save mine & Pod's life seems reasonable. My attraction to him is likely not going to be reciprocated and in fact he will likely humiliate me if he knew how I felt

6. No, I am trying to live up to my 'dad's standard of honor and oath keeping. Unless the Niggt's Watch is disbanded entirely, in which case all vows are voided. Then , yeah I'd support Stannis & marry Val

7. Deep down I know Daario has his own ambitions that may clash with my own. Despite my inability to resisted the three pronged blue beard of Mystery, the pick up artist, this sounds like such an obviously bad idea that I will pass

8. The best option as Cersei would be for me to join a celibate order or remain cloister and I married at the Rock

9. I would marry the Frey girl, as I would be determined to prove im not the greenboy king everyone thinks I am. Kings have done worse.

10.I would yield the castle to save my people, but wouldnt bend the knee.

11. I would tell him. I can't keep a secret.

12. Yes I would. He is the only person on my side and I need him. (I actually kind of like littlefinger aside from his creepy advances on Sansa. )

Added scenarios:

9. Not marry her! apologize, give her some money , offer her the hand of some hedge knight, keep her as a mistress but marriage to Jeyne was stupid. Marry the Frey girl

10. Remember that fate has a way of turning lost causes into winners and hold on to the bitter end. Never let it be said that the Tully's yielded. Unless I knew of a backup plan, like say a certain singer clued me into my reserve troops, lead by my resurrected niece, then I might do something a bit different, like claim I swam out by actually hide in a secret room and then ...

11. As Sam I am very afraid if many living and certain undead things. After making a promise to one of the creepiest characters, I'd keep that promise

12. He actually saved my life because Lysa would have killed me. So I would lie for him but I'd sleep with one eye open

Knowing how things went as a result of these decisions?

1. I would have taken the imp prisoner, but taken him to Harrenhal where i have kinship with lady whent (i think cats mother was a whent) and then escorted from harrenhal to riverrun with a large guard party

2. I would do what my father did and request a trial by combat. with gregor clegane miles away in the riverlands (i think?) the kings champion would most likely be the hound, right? So i would name either andor or robar royce as my champion, they're both good fighters and i think robar did well in the tourney in my name

3. No, no one is so accursed as the Kinslayer. I wouldn't have any interest on sitting on the throne, honour and duty be damned, I would dip my banners to Renly, demand to be named lord of storms end and the stormlands.

4. Yes I would marry Sansa, resign from the council and take her to highgarden as olenna redwyne suggested, and from there petition the high septon for a divorce, the wedding was forced, and allow sansa to marry willas tyrell :)

5. Yes, i would deliver Jaime to lady stoneheart. neither Podrick or Brienne wronged house stark, but jaime has. screw his redemption arc he crippled bran and slayed the karstark boys.

6. YES!! Jon stark lord of winterfell!!!

7. Yes, I would have listened to Daario at almost every turn. Kill the masters.

9. The Frey girl. Absolutely.

10. If edmure dies then the castle by rights belongs to me, right? Let him hang. and weather the storm.

11. I would keep it a secret, Jon would try and range north to look for Bran.

12. I would totally lie for him.

9. Hell no, I don't marry Jeyne. As someone mentioned upthread, I get a good marriage for her, but I marry the Frey girl

10. I take the black...and then I scheme with Jon and Stannis

11. I tell Jon. I tell him Bran is too far North to be found, but Rickon could be somewhere closer

12. I stick with LF for the time being

I'm digging this thread, btw!

Added scenarios:

1. God, I have no idea what I would have done. The whole scenario of aristocrats randomly arresting each other is just so bizarre to me. I probably would have been, like, "huh, Lady Stark? I'm no Lady Stark. Who the hell are you?"

2. I can't imagine any halfway decent parent not doing what Ned did.

3. Again, no real idea. You can argue he saved thousands of lives but then, killing your own little brother? There no non-asshole way out of this one.

4. Her having a claim shouldn't enter into it. I probably would have married her and never touched her. Like Tyrion did. Huh.

5. Yeah, Jaime can take care of himself.

6. No. Jon did the right thing. You don't want to hitch your wagon to such an uncertain star.

7. I'd just fuck him again to shut him up. This is not the Dany moral dilemma I would have chosen.

8. I would make sure to surround myself with competent and strong minded, yet loyal advisors. And I would try to find a psychiatrist or other Westrosi equivalent to talk out some of my issues.

9. Marry the Mole! I mean, the Frey. If your so worried about her future prospects, you're the King, set her up with Marq Piper or something. He won't say no to you because she's hymenly challenged.

10. I get being stubborn beyond the point of reason. I probably only would have done it if my nephew asked me to. Which is what happened. Huh.

11. Yup. Sam did the right thing.

12. Considering I would have no place else to go and no life skills except those that would be of use in this exact situation, yeah I would lie for him.

Here's my contribution:

13. Arianne: You have every good reason to believe that your father plans to disinherit you and set you up in a marriage wherein you're guaranteed to be miserable for the rest of your life. You have complete control over the most useful political football in Dorne, Myrcella, and more than your fair share of insecurities.

1. Seizing Tyrion was a good call. Taking him to the Vale was not. The trial should have been held in the North.

2. I'd pretend like I was going to confess, then reveal the truth to the audience at Baelor's Sept. Might as well make use of the spotlight, ya know?

3. Well, I can't envision a scenario that would prompt me to kill my real-life brothers. I would seek out compromise and understanding at all costs. But seeing as Stannis and Renly were prepared to sacrifice countless lives over their dispute, Stannis made the right decision. Strategically, he wins over the majority of Renly's forces without weakening them. Ethically, he kills one man (albeit, his brother) to prevent a battle that might have killed thousands.

4. Yes. Tyrion knew he would not mistreat Sansa, and Tywin would raise hell if he refused. The apparent cruelty of the arrangement results from the Lannister name, something Tyrion could overcome with time. If his appearance was the issue, Sansa needs another reality check. Yes, she is MUCH younger, but (1) this was more acceptable during the reign of feudalism and (2) preserving her innocence is a worthy option he chose to fulfill.

5. I would go to Jaime and explain the circumstances. My gut tells me Jaime would oblige without the need to trick him into doing so.

6. If saving "Arya" was part of the agreement, yes. I prioritize the ones I love over the sanctity of law and order. For example, I wouldn't think twice about stealing food if honest means were exhausted and my family was starving.

7. I couldn't justify anything close to the RW outside of complete necessity. The targets would have to be truly despicable. I don't like the Mereenese, nor do I trust them, but my dislike/mistrust doesn't warrant that level of brutality. It wouldn't do Dany's reputation any favors, either.

Archived