"They killed him long ago"

Winter Blues

We don't know if "they" means the others. It could mean the humans, the night's watch, the wildlings, anything. Who brought him back is another matter. If he was killed by others and raised by others, then he would probably have stayed with the others, he wouldn't be with BR. It is possible that BR made him a follower afterwards, but it is not the only possibility.

One thing I find interesting in regards to Coldhands is the term Monster.

I know Monster can be used to describe unknown things that you fear...but GRRM's choice of using that term makes me think Old Nan knows who Coldhands is or what he is.

He could be Lady Blizzardborn's live wight.

Also...is Coldhands saying that he is Bran's monster? or is he introducing himself...as in my name is Brandon Stark and I am your monster. I just find it odd that Coldhands uses Bran's full name since Bran doesn't go by Brandon.

Old Nan did state that she thought the Night's King was the brother to the King of the North and his name was Brandon. Could be that the Night's King was killed long ago and Bloodraven has found a way to make him is wight.

But regarding the OP...time is a disputed thing. It reminds me of this quote by Samwell Tarly to Jon Snow in AFfC, Chapter 5.

CH says the three eyed crow is Bran's monster.---"Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?"

Old Nan was saying Bran was the night's king... a storyteller telling a child a scary story... not giving a history lesson.

Still convinced that he's the Nights King. As to what he's been doing all this time, perhaps his living corpse was frozen in a block of ice (79 sentinel style). That would be a cruel punishment right. Kill someone, curse him to wonder the earth and then freeze him like a popsicle.

CH says the three eyed crow is Bran's monster.---"Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?"

Old Nan was saying Bran was the night's king... a storyteller telling a child a scary story... not giving a history lesson.

:agree: If you go back and read the scene it's the three-eyed crow they are talking about being a monster, not Coldhands.

<snip

He could be Lady Blizzardborn's live wight.

<snip

Thanks for the shout out. But I'm afraid it's more complicated than that, and he's dead so he's not a live wight by any means. According to my Wighting Theory, Coldhands is/was a member of the Night's Watch upon whom an attempted wighting backfired (vows, heart trees, stuff like that). I have designated Coldhands, and any others like him, as Wight Watchers. :)

The fact that he died a long time ago does not necessarily entail that he was reanimated a long time ago.

Look at what happened to Cat after only a few days of being dead. Beric wasn't in that bad of shape even after his fifth resurrection. I think the odds of successful raising decrease the longer the person is dead.

Rereading what I've just typed, I have to say this is exactly the kind of conversation I would not be having in everyday life. :D

Cat was rotting in warm water.

I do agree that if you assume his original personality and memories etc. are preserved it's kind of hard to believe he was a frozen corpse for a thousand years.

Just throwing the idea out there.

Entirely fair argument. And it's a different kind of wighting. Fire vs ice and all that.

I am pretty sure I am in the minority but I think that cold hands is probably just some dude.

I don't think his identity is of import but I think we will get some up close and personal info on what it means to be a wight from him. Maybe he will be revealed to be from some northern house and born 500 years ago or something but I don't think it will be anyone we have heard of.

The info he can share and his characteristics are going to be more important than his previous identity.

I am pretty sure I am in the minority but I think that cold hands is probably just some dude.

I don't think his identity is of import but I think we will get some up close and personal info on what it means to be a wight from him. Maybe he will be revealed to be from some northern house and born 500 years ago or something but I don't think it will be anyone we have heard of.

The info he can share and his characteristics are going to be more important than his previous identity.

I agree

You're right...just re-read the scenario and placed it in context.

But as for Old Nan...I still think there are more to her stories than just scary stories. Several things she mentioned has already happened such as riding dead horses and leading hosts of the slain (wights).

theoretically, using the varamyr sixskins "second life" logic, could Others be channeling lost wargs into corpses, to make wights?

logic: in brans chapters, it's stated the longer you become part of the animal, the more you become like it, and the more of yourself you lose.

imagine that in a corpse? mindless, primal intent.

just trying to brainstorm ideas, not going on anything here

Archived