Eye colour

Arkhangel

My family are having a debate. What colour is this eye?

Edited to add: same eyes not in direct sunlight.

There's no word for hazel in Croatian, or Serbian, so we might say brown, green-brown, but I think correct description would be hazel.

Why are you having this debate in your family? Is there need to DNA testing (hahaha)?

Interesting, thank you for your opinions. It's my eye, of course - I used to have very dark brown eyes as a little girl, but they seem to be getting a lot lighter and also greeny-ish-er as I get older. My Dad has dark brown eyes, my Mum has sort of greyish greenish blueish. Apparently the genetics of eye colour is way more complicated and interested than the boring Punnett squares we all learned in high school.

I was born with blue eyes, then they turned green by the time I was 7 or a bit more , now they're clearly light brown/golden . Eyes are weird stuff :dunno:

I would call the colour in the second pic light brown though the lower half does appear a bit greenish.

There's no word for hazel in Croatian, or Serbian, so we might say brown, green-brown, but I think correct description would be hazel.

The closest thing to "hazel" would be "kestenjasto" (for non-Serbian/Croatian speakers - it's the colour of chestnut) but it's used to describe hair colour more often than eye color.

The closest thing to "hazel" would be "kestenjasto" (for non-Serbian/Croatian speakers - it's the colour of chestnut) but it's used to describe hair colour more often than eye color.

I have to say the term doesn't apply here. Or we're talking about some really weird chestnuts.

I have to say the term doesn't apply here. Or we're talking about some really weird chestnuts.

That's why I said "the closest thing to "hazel"", not "hazel" ;)

EDIT:

I meant to say we don't really have many words for specific shades of brown and "kestenjasto" is the only one I can think of at the moment.

I was born with blue eyes, then they turned green by the time I was 7 or a bit more , now they're clearly light brown/golden . Eyes are weird stuff :dunno:

Caucasian babies are born with dark blue eyes. They change colour and then your colour is pretty much set by about a year. Although there are exceptions.

Caucasian babies are born with dark blue eyes. They change colour and then your colour is pretty much set by about a year. Although there are exceptions.

I know.

I usually get the short end of the stick with exceptions , this was just weird so that's nice .

Why are you having this debate in your family? Is there need to DNA testing (hahaha)?

Thankfully not! My family hasn't seen me for over a year and a few of them think there has been a change in my eye colour in that short time. There has definitely been a big change since I was young, they used to be really a very dark brown.

My eyes seemed to vacillate between hazel and green for a lot of my childhood. They've settled on green-with-a-yellow-band now, though.

Archived