Reading books & Watching G.O.T

Woofless

Talking to my son yesterday he said that when the TV show catches up to the books he is going to stop watching it until he has read the final books. As he wants to read GRRM's version of the story first.

I'm wondering if there are any other people who are of like mind.

Personally, I have never minded spoilers so I will be watching the show, reading the books, whichever comes first and is available to me.

Personally, I was a show fan first, but I've grown to love the books more.

This is the reason why I've decided to stop watching the show if the books can't catch up.

I'm sure that the show will do a fantastic job as it usually does, but let's say a major character dies and they don't capture the moment very well? I think that this could then potentially cheapen the experience of reading the final books.

You could watch the show all the way to the end and be completely (I doubt I would be) unsatisfied, and by the time the books come out you'll know exactly what happens.

Personally, I was a show fan first, but I've grown to love the books more.

This is the reason why I've decided to stop watching the show if the books can't catch up.

I'm sure that the show will do a fantastic job as it usually does, but let's say a major character dies and they don't capture the moment very well? I think that this could then potentially cheapen the experience of reading the final books.

You could watch the show all the way to the end and be completely (I doubt I would be) unsatisfied, and by the time the books come out you'll know exactly what happens.

True. But I wouldn't have the willpower to hold off from watching the shows to find out what eventually happens. And am hoping that when I get my hands on the books that it wouldn't change the experience of reading them TOO much, even though at that point I would know the basic story and endgame.

I'm with you on whichever comes first. And the show will probably gloss over some details which will be explored deeper in the books and make minor changes like they have been doing, so some things will be "fresh"

I don't think its easy to avoid spoilers in this twitter age.

I'd rather be spoiled by an emmy nominated primetime show than by a hashtag.

True. But I wouldn't have the willpower to hold off from watching the shows to find out what eventually happens. And am hoping that when I get my hands on the books that it wouldn't change the experience of reading them TOO much, even though at that point I would know the basic story and endgame.

Hmmm, that's true. I don't know if I will have the willpower either, I hope that I do.

Worst comes to worst, I could always look online to look for book fan episode reviews? :dunno:

I feel like in an ideal world I'd choose to avoid the show and wait until I've read the books (or, at least, until I know more books aren't coming). But it isn't ideal, and I spend too much time on the internet and too much time with people that like to blab about popular things on tv, so I'm practically guaranteed to be spoiled even if I never watch a minute more of GoT.

With that in mind: I'd rather be spoiled by a decent show than some asshole on a bus who can't keep his voice down.

In my son's case I don't think he's too worried about hearing of any spoilers. He just doesn't want to see it visualized until he has visualized it for himself from the books.

I feel like in an ideal world I'd choose to avoid the show and wait until I've read the books (or, at least, until I know more books aren't coming). But it isn't ideal, and I spend too much time on the internet and too much time with people that like to blab about popular things on tv, so I'm practically guaranteed to be spoiled even if I never watch a minute more of GoT.

With that in mind: I'd rather be spoiled by a decent show than some asshole on a bus who can't keep his voice down.

LOL.

In my own case I just don't have the willpower to not watch.

I've already stopped watching the show and won't watch any more of it. Mainly because I wish to remain relatively spoiler-free.

Yes, this is my son's thinking. As I said above, personally I couldn't do it.

i actually like spoilers so I'm in the whatever is out first crew. i actually watched all of the series 4 times and read 100's of pages on the wiki before i even picked up the first book. i like to know what is going on beforehand because it helps me visualize events and characters better. they are not exactly the same as the show or the wiki, but the little details are easily missed and that helped me out. so go spoilers!!!

May as well just watch the show. It will be a near impossibility to avoid being spoiled, with future events. With the success of the show and the wall to wall coverage it gets on the Internet, social media, water cooler talk....hell, even national news media will cover future "shockers" and the ending. Therefore, I would at least rather see it myself; rather than to be told in passing that this character did this, or this one ended up on the throne.

I've already stopped watching the show and won't watch any more of it. Mainly because I wish to remain relatively spoiler-free.

I applaud you for this. You, DeathYon (who feels the same) and my son are to be commended. I just wish I could do it - but I'm weak. :laugh:

Before season four I didn't mind. After, I sometimes just straight up deny the show's existence. I've not been spoiled by popular shows and books before, so I think it will be rather easy if and when the show catches up.

Also, I'm with JonCon on HBO so yeah.... ;)

Before season four I didn't mind. After, I sometimes just straight up deny the show's existence. I've not been spoiled by popular shows and books before, so I think it will be rather easy if and when the show catches up.

Also, I'm with JonCon on HBO so yeah.... ;)

http://i.imgur.com/4E7vlL1.gif

Archived