Reading books & Watching G.O.T

Woofless

I don't actually find spoilers that annoying. You're only likely to hear a brief "this character dies" or "this character becomes king", when to me it's the whole process that's enjoyable, the political scheming and the dialogue between characters. Plus I think there will be enough characters and storylines left out of the show to make it sufficiently different.

I only started reading the books after season 1 so I don't mind spoilers. That being said the show has really fallen apart since then and I probably wouldn't watch it if there was a chance it could spoil the books. That being said, do you think Season 5 will have spoilers from TWOW and beyond?

I only started reading the books after season 1 so I don't mind spoilers. That being said the show has really fallen apart since then and I probably wouldn't watch it if there was a chance it could spoil the books. That being said, do you think Season 5 will have spoilers from TWOW and beyond?

Hard to say. They should have enough content to get them through the season without going further ahead. But really, who knows?

ETA

They ARE filming Jaime in Dorne though. So unless they've gone off the rails completely that is definitely a spoiler to future books.

I wish I could give up the show. More and more, the show seems to be a bit of seriously skewed fan fiction. Many of the actors are perfect for their roles, and I feel bad for them not getting to play a lot of the material that most would make shine. The actors and the beautiful locations will make me tune in, regardless of books being completed, but I'm not taking the show's interpretation of George's ending to be more than a sketch of the details. I'll watch but I won't bank on them getting a lot of the details correct in the end, not to mention, they will totally ignore the journey.

JonCon and The Red Beard have it right.

http://i.imgur.com/4E7vlL1.gif

I wish I could give up the show. More and more, the show seems to be a bit of seriously skewed fan fiction. Many of the actors are perfect for their roles, and I feel bad for them not getting to play a lot of the material that most would make shine. The actors and the beautiful locations will make me tune in, regardless of books being completed, but I'm not taking the show's interpretation of George's ending to be more than a sketch of the details. I'll watch but I won't bank on them getting a lot of the details correct in the end, not to mention, they will totally ignore the journey.

The ending is most likely the same based on what was said and their own scripts so far. Yet, the journey is so different the ending might not make any sense.

If I stop watching it will be because I am not enjoying watching anymore (which has admittedly become more of an issue, but not because of possible spoilers). I am not worried about the show spoiling things. And we won't know what the show spoiled and what the show made up until the books come out anyway.

The ending is most likely the same based on what was said and their own scripts so far. Yet, the journey is so different the ending might not make any sense.

I expect the show to have the same ending as the books in regard to Winter and how and when and why it ends, and how the realms wind up being governed, but I expect the journey and most things inbetween that and the ending to be each their own thing. Having the same resolution to seasons and governance does not equate to it really being the same story, not for me, anyway. Then again, the Jaime Lannister I know isn't one to kill a fellow soldier in arms, much less one that is a cousin, along with raping his own sister/lover after not getting sex from her for weeks on end after his return 'home' to her. That's just one example of story differences already, I can only imagine what comes next on my screen, and yeah........'come' might be the operative word, LOL

It depends. If GRRM steps up his PR game and finally gives us an approximate date for the release of WoW, that is if I know WoW will be a reality and is not something I dreamed once, then I could stay off the show for a while

But at the current pace it seems WoW is never going to be released, so my only choice is the show

I'm weak and therefore I will watch the show. Mainly because I just know people will spoil the ending for me eventually (that's the downside from lording my power as a bookreader over my unsullied friends for al these years :P ). Seriously though, the ending is indeed not the most important thing of the story. Journey is important but I would prefer it if I didn't know the ending. It's just more fun to guess where everything is going.

I've never cared about spoilers but even so, we know the show and books don't align, yet are likely to end similarly. While some show changes have made me facepalm, I'm deeply invested in both canons and how they get to the end. So neither could make me boycott the other.

This may be because I've stopped seeing the show as a typical adaptation; I see it more like how Marvel has Ultimates, 616, the MCU, and the Fox X-Men universes. ASOIAF Westeros and GoT Westeros are separate verses to me. Makes both more fun. :)

There's no way id be able to connect with the outside world about Game of Thrones, if it wasnt on television. NO ONE i know, has read ANY of the books. The show is a common medium for us both, and for that im grateful.

THough, they should get into ancestry and blood more, on the show. Not enough past, is present. I dont know if im explaining that right. do show-goers even know who rhaegar is? other than that 5 second explanation oberyn gave to tyrion last season? do they even know lyanna? the concept of wylla?

I LOVE spoilers, but I just don't think I can bring myself to watch another season of that show. Right from the start of season four, I found myself wondering "who are these people?" constantly, especially during scenes featuring my erstwhile favourite characters. Nope, no more show for me.

I don't care which comes first. I want to know the ending and since the show is practically guaranteed to give us one by 2017, I have absolutely no problem watching it first.

It depends. If GRRM steps up his PR game and finally gives us an approximate date for the release of WoW, that is if I know WoW will be a reality and is not something I dreamed once, then I could stay off the show for a while

But at the current pace it seems WoW is never going to be released, so my only choice is the show

I agree with you there. I could probably hold out for a reasonable amount of time. Two or three years though? I don't think so.

Archived