What if Jon went south with Ned?

Irish

Jon is obviously more adept at being able to play with deception than his father (fooling Mance, Tormund and Ygritte to protect the Night's Watch) so what would the outcome have been if Jon had gone south with Ned, like Catelyn told him? The outcome on the events in King's Landing, Robb's war, the Wildlings at the Wall, the Ironborn invading the North?

Well, Jon only started to learn subterfuge later. In aGoT he was kind of an immature kid.

But well, starting with the incident at the Trident, Arya would probably be playing with Jon instead of Mycah, and Joff probably wouldn't hurt Ned's son, so maybe they all get to keep their wolves. That means Nymeria and Ghost tear Joffrey to pieces when he tries to kill Ned :)

So we'd know nothing?

I feel that set up was too easy, and spit on you, sir.

Okay, what do you think would have happened, and what its affect would be?

No, what I mean is...we could guess some things that could have happened if Jon, for example, had decided to be Lord of Winterfell. But Jon going south with Ned...that is early AGOT.

I mean, everything could have happened and still be plausible.

thats a good call with the messy business on the Trident. Jon could have also become Robert's squire. he was the Hand's son and Robert was already known to have two squires. this might have saved Robert's life at least for the time being.

exercises like this are fun and creative. it helps test our ability to construct plausible theories so it is not an exercise in futility

If i must be realistic i can see him do something stupid when Ned was arrested/executed and get killed

If i can count on Jon's plot armor all the above but he will escape, then he will probably go try to join Robb's army.

From here again: realistic he die at red wedding, plot armor he escape and go search whoever/whatever can help him fight his enemies

Jon would either have died with Ned or been taken captive, the real events that would have changed would have been at the wall, where Mance likely would have taken Castle Black before Stannis got there.

If Jon went south with Robb that's another story, because he could have put Jon in charge of the infantry instead of Roose Bolton. That would have changed things, but still the events at the wall are rally what would have changed, without Jon the Thenns and co who scaled the wall would have been able to hit Castle Black by surprise.

If Jon went south with Robb that's another story, because he could have put Jon in charge of the infantry instead of Roose Bolton.

Not likely

Roose was an allie, a Lord with men and an experienced commander

You can't just give his place to your bastard bro for the lulz, it will be a bad move under all point of view (of course assuming you don't know what wil happen at Red Wedding) and will affect Robb's image as leader

He will probably keep him close in battle, claiming to his men that if he die Jon will be theyr new leader

the wall is another interesting area. the Free Folk would have crossed the wall and destroyed the NW unless Mormont brokered a truce with Mance similar to Jon's. if not, the FF cross into the North and pillage it while Robb is gone with the rest of the men

Mormont would still have been killed whether Jon was there or not.

Jon was 14 and too stupid to actually help his "father".

Not sure if he would have died or not though, it's not like if he was some valuable hostage so Joffrey could have killed him since i'm pretty sure Jon would have done something REALLY STUPID after his Ned's execution like trying to kill Joffrey.

Archived