Asian based culture in ASOIAF?

There are a lot of cultures in ASOIAF that are based on actual civilizations in history. Pretty much every ancient culture is accounted for with one major exception. There is no Asian based culture mentioned in any detail yet. The only thing that is briefly mentioned is Yi Ti and that only sounds like it could be based on an Asian culture. There is not much evidence in the text to support it or disprove it, but does anyone else want to see an Asian based culture in ASOIAF and to what degree? IMO, Dany is the closest POV and is most likely to encounter them because of the whole to go west you must go east prophecy. But imagine if she bolstered her army with gunpowder or ninja assassins or samurai warriors!!! GRRM could do so much with that, but i ant to hear thoughts.

Yi Ti is likely some kind of Chinese/east Asian culture.

There is also Bayasabhad, Asabhad and Zabhad which could be somewhat like southern Asia, given that region's use of the "bad" in their city names (Islamabad, Hyderabad).

As to if we'll see them.... I doubt it. Dany's the closest character and I only see her moving West. GRRM says we're unlikely to see Asshai in person, so if we don't see that, we likely won't visit these locations.

Why there should be an Asian based culture in the books? The author (GGRM in this case) should be able to freely use/mix any part of any culture or create his own. It's not like there is a rule written in stone that fantasy books must have X-base culture.

But imagine if she bolstered her army with gunpowder or ninja assassins or samurai warriors!!! GRRM could do so much with that, but i ant to hear thoughts.

Is there any reason for this besides "I think it would be cool" ?

I like this thought. The Free Cities are a mixture of various European liberal cultures with a hint of rich Middle Eastern cities (Baghdad, Tehran, etc). Where Dany is, it's like North African or poorer Middle Eastern regions. I can see Yi Ti as SE Asian. Asshai as Indian.

Wow, just thinking about all this makes me really wish we could learn more about these places. So much mystery and exoticness to them.

And for all intents and purposes Japan = Asia.

there is absolutely no other reason for it other than i think it would be cool. and i agree he is free to and does mix elements from many real cultures into his fictional ones. I'm not saying its a rule, I'm saying it is missing. that is not to say that there are not other cultures missing too, but for some reason that one stands out to me.

The Dothraki definitely constitute the Mongols, which were/are Asian. Dany won't be going farther east than Qarth as per GRRM so there's definitely no chance we will see Yi Ti.

There are many differences between the two - Mongols were united, Dothraki weren't; M had strictly organized army, D don't; M used armor, D don't; M used siege and conquered cities, while D, according to Jorah, couldn't besiege even the weakest fort; M women were in way better position than their Dothraki counterparts...

GRRM said how he based Dorthaki on a number of cultures - Mongols, Huns, Alans, Sioux... Mongols are just one of infleunces among many others.

I found interesting thing when I was exploring for my dragon project. Dragons are seen rather positively in Eastern cultures, unlike in Western... That being said, I might be curious to examine how it may impact Dany's future storyline, being seen as a dragon hero in the East, and dragon villain in the West.

that dichotomy makes it even more interesting to me to see what her reception would be in the East assuming the culture views dragons as a positive. Maybe they could teach her how to work with her dragons and train them for riders and battle. really the possibilities are endless with what could happen with that.

Yeah, in ancient Chinese mythology dragons were viewed as benevolent creatures symbolizing wisdom. This doesn't seem to be the case with Dany's dragons, but e.g. Robin's Hobb Tawny Man triology offers interesting take on fanatsy world with sentient and intelligent dragons. Hobb's work in general is great for many other reasons, and my first choice when people ask What fantasy besides Martin should I read.

Mladen, there's one thing I'm curious about, that you may have researched for dragon project. I found it interesting how dragons appear in various mythologies with no common backgrounds (Greek and Chinese for example). Is there some reason behind this - how people on opposite sides of the globe apparently wrote about similar-looking creatures and put them in their myths and legends?

Archived