Something that has always bothered me..

Tysha's New Man

What I could never understand was how Ned knew where the ToJ was and when he found that out.

I assume he didn't learn of it before the Battle of the Trident because he would've rode straight there instead of King's Landing.

I assume he didn't learn of it in King's Landing because, again, he would've rode straight there instead of Storm's End and he was with Robert. If Robert truly loved her, wouldn't he have rode there himself to save her?

I don't understand how the Tyrells could've known about the ToJ since their forces have remained at Storm's End for the duration of the war.

I don't know if I'm missing something so obvious or it still remains a mystery. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

I would also imagine he learned in King's Landing, but went to Storm's End first because it was his duty and not really out of the way.

Wether Lyanna was there out of love is debatable, but as Rhaegar was dead, she was likely as safe there as anywhere, considering who was guarding her. It is not like those men would have been hurting or raping her.

Howland Reed's greendreams is my guess

Either this, or Ashara told him where they were.

Or perhaps someone else (like Varys).

That was my assumption.

After the deaths of Elia, Rhaenys, and (supposedly) Aegon, Eddard Stark blew up at Robert and they almost shed each others blood over it. Then Eddard rides off the finish the war and get his sister back - without Robert. Ned may have considered that it would be a bad idea to tell Robert where she was, even if he knew. Or perhaps whoever told him wanted to make sure it was Eddard, and not Robert, who found her. (And that's why I consider Varys to be one potential source, because there would need to be a lot of descretion to keep it from the new king.)

Mind you, perhaps three members of the Kingsguard are somewhat conspicuous, and it required only a bit of asking around to find out where they were.

I often wondered if Ned had gotten some intel (or confirmation of previous intel) on Lyanna's whereabouts from Donal Noye.

Even after losing his arm at the Siege of Storm's End he was clearly a very capable man and even if he felt he couldn't serve House Baratheon anymore, I'm sure there would be plenty of opportunities for work in other Houses....but he sends himself to The Wall instead and becomes Castle Black's armorer and smith....not to mention his heroic stance in the tunnel against Mag the Mighty.

Anyway, the thing that always made me go "hmmmm...." on my rereads was how Donal worded the following after giving Jon the talk about being a brat in the practice yard

"Words won't make your mother a whore. She was what she was, and nothing Toad says can change that. You know, we have men on the Wall whose mothers were whores."

AGOT Jon III

That last sentence makes me wonder if he in fact knew a lot more about what was going on 15 or so years ago.....and taking himself to the Wall was a good way to...well.....hide or whatever.

I don't know how he would have gotten any info to pass on to Ned :dunno: ....just a hunch I've had for a while

According to Meera, Howland isn't a green dreamer so he's unlikely to have been the one to provide the info on where Lyanna was.

Otherwise, it's just one of those unanswered questions. There isn't enough information right now to do more than just speculate who specifically told Ned. Though I'm not sure it is something super important or mysterious in the long run. Their location was likely just known by at least a couple of people other than the ones in the group. Hightower didn't seem to have any troubles finding them when Aerys sent him to get Rhaegar to return to KL. A couple of KG, a prince, and highborn lady, and whatever entourage they had with them is almost impossible to keep completely hidden. Someone's going to see them, someone's going to talk. And that's not even considering whether or not Rhaegar had some sort of plan in case things went to shit. Maybe he mentioned it to his squire or something, or his squire was one who had been with him at the TOJ.

Hmmmmmmmm, it is said that GRRM has intimated that the last word on Rhaegar's dying lips was the name Lyanna. I have to wonder, who heard him say that (Ned? possibly) and did he disclose a location to someone before he died? All the ideas above are possible, I just wonder if a dying Rhaegar, or a Rhaegar before the battle with Robert.......could be one of the possibilities?

AGOT Jon III

That last sentence makes me wonder if he in fact knew a lot more about what was going on 15 or so years ago.....and taking himself to the Wall was a good way to...well.....hide or whatever.

I don't know how he would have gotten any info to pass on to Ned :dunno: ....just a hunch I've had for a while

Nice catch. I'm with you - seems a little suspicious. Too bad Donal left us too soon.

I also love the Howland theory. And the Ashara one, too.

And as long as I'm saying I love stuff, the OP is great, too. I've always assumed that Ned heard where the rest of the Kingsguard was and went there. The presence of the Kingsguard suggest the king or prince was there, and if the prince had Lyanna, that's where she'd be.

I agree about Varys but wouldn't Varys have told Robert as well? Wouldn't he have taken off for the ToJ?

I'm not clear about greendreams so I'm not an expert about what Howland Reed could or could not have done but anything is possible in GRRMs world.

I'm foggy on Ashara, didn't he see her only at Harrenhal? Wasn't that a year before Rhaegar and Lyanna disappeared? How could she have known and told Ned?

Archived