Who will save the Mallisters from Black Walder ?

the storm king returns

With all this recent talk about the prisoners of the RW that were being held at the twins being sent to KL for a trial, what is going to happen to the second biggest house in the Riverlands ?? I doubt they would send two Partys of men to transport the prisoners one party from the twins and one from Seaguard.

So are LORD Mallister and his son freed or are they not important enough for the Brotherhood to bother freeing at this time ?

I only ask because I am a big fan of house Mallister, especially Jason who killed Balon Greyjoys son and sent the iron born back into the Sea, which btw is his familys primary duty and he did it with a very small navy and by small I mean very small.

With Ryman dead, Black Walder is one Frey from being heir. He can't keep Seaguard and murder his brother both. Maybe his brother murders him first. I see Frey on Frey violence soon.

I do see Black Walder leaving to stake his claim on the twins. However, that doesn't mean Jason Mallister will be free.

I see that too. If Lord Walder dies, he will go back to the Twins and leave behind a garrison. It would be small enough for someone to retake Seagard whether it be the Blackfish/BwB or others.

I see Seagard as being a pivotal stronghold for the Riverland resistance to launch attacks against the Freys and Crown. It's still relatively intact as the only Riverlands settlement not to be struck by the War of the Five Kings.

As for the Mallisters, it's only a matter of time before Lord Jason is able to take advantage of the Frey garrison left behind at Seagard, or Black Walder if he remains there. Patrek is still alive and even if they're prisoners in their own castle, Lord Jason has his heir with him compared to similar crappier situations with Tytos Blackwood and Clement Piper, both of whom have heirs acting as squires/hostages for the Lannisters, or prisoners at the Twins (Marq Piper).

As for who helps them, it could be the Brotherhood Without Banners, the Blackfish, or even the trapped guardsmen of the house itself striking when it's best. The best time looks to be soon if Black Walder leaves for the Twins to finish off the last family member in front of him as heir to the Twins.

I do see Black Walder leaving to stake his claim on the twins. However, that doesn't mean Jason Mallister will be free.

I've recently been thinking about the possibility of the BwB and Lady Stoneheart exchanging Jaime for some of the RW hostages.

What would make BW believe he had any type of claim to the Twins?

i thought the Greatjon was at the Twins not Seaguard?

He probably is at the Twins, though both the Lord and Heir remain at Seaguard in cells according to the appendixes. Just to note though, the appendixes seem to list information for people and events as they stand at the start of the books.

I see Seagard as being a pivotal stronghold for the Riverland resistance to launch attacks against the Freys and Crown. It's still relatively intact as the only Riverlands settlement not to be struck by the War of the Five Kings.

There are probably settlements that have been left alone in the Riverlands, as we see some that Meribald pointed out, but Seaguard probably isn't one of them. The two Mallisters might still be alive, but their garrison probably is not. The majority of their fighting strength has probably been forcibly dispersed (though likely a good number remains alive). Considering that the area/region is now under the heel control of the Freys we don't know the current state of affairs of those that live there. Rather there appears to be several settlements that Frey control, small hovel sites and villages, that were not afflicted by raiders all that much.

so he kills off his brother ahead of him and takes the Twins and Riverrun? does his older brother have any children? i forget

Edwyn is the current heir. He has a daughter Walda who is next in line behind Edwyn although I think it's a forgone conclusion that a woman isn't inheriting the twins.

He won't get Riverrun though. Riverrun was granted to Emmon Frey, Walder's second son, who was given Riverun mostly as a result of his marriage to Tywin's sister.

so wouldn't that put Emmon and Edywn ahead of Black Walder? is Walda betrothed/married? is she Fat Walda mayhaps?

She isn't Fat Walda and she isn't married or betrothed as far as I know.

Stevron was Walder's first son and heir when de died his first son, Ryman, became heir. Therefore any of Ryman's children come before Emmon. For Emmon to inherit the Twins all of Stevron's descendants would need to die. Edwyn is currently the heir and his daughter would technically become heir if he died. However, if Black Walder can kill Edwyn then Walda isn't a serious threat to taking the Twins from him.

so Edwyn is Ryman's son who is Stevron's son (who is dead) and Walda is unmarried. if she were to marry would that make her husband a legit contender? and they all have to die for Emmon to to inherit? Does Emmon have any children? if so, he and all of his children would need to die for Black Walder to inherit correct? Christ the Freys are confusing

so Edwyn is Ryman's son who is Stevron's son (who is dead) and Walda is unmarried. if she were to marry would that make her husband a legit contender? and they all have to die for Emmon to to inherit? Does Emmon have any children? if so, he and all of his children would need to die for Black Walder to inherit correct? Christ the Freys are confusing

They are definitely confusing but I will do my best to clear this up.

Stevron Frey is Walders first son and heir. He died at Oxcross making Stevron's first son, Ryman, heir.

Ryman was hanged by the Brotherhood without Banners. Ryman's sons are Edwyn, Black Walder and Petyr Pimple (deceased).

Ryman's death makes Edwyn heir to the twins. Edwyn's daughter Walda is his heir and second in line.

Black Walder is currently third in line but Walda won't have the influence needed to take over should Edwyn die. A husband could solve that problem for her depending on who he is.

In order for Emmon or his children to inherit the Twins Edwyn, Black Walder, and Walda all need to be out of the way. In addition to them Stevron's other descendants need to die before Emmon can inherit.

Stevron had three wives. The names above are the descendants of his first son. The children of his second wife, Jinglebells and Maegelle, are both dead. Maegella has two sons Walder and Patrek Vance and a daughter. His third wife gave Stevron Walton Frey. Walton Frey also has two sons. So all of them need to be gone before Emmon is the heir.

Archived