Watch, Watched, Watching: The Horrible New Fall Television Edition

RedEyedGhost

Needing more of a Chris O'Dowd fix after the extremely enjoyable Cuban Fury (and I somehow forgot to mention that Ian Mcshane plays Nick Frost's embittered old salsa instructor - how can you not want to watch this movie?), I watched another movie of his on netflix called The Sapphires. It's about a uninspired entertainment director at a club in Australia who discovers a group of Aboriginal girls and ends up taking them on tour through the Vietnam War. Surprisingly, I think I ended up enjoying this more than Cuban Fury, it's just as funny and has even more heart (and an amazing training sequence as he turns them from Country Western singers into Soul singers).

Per the thread title, so far I'm really enjoying The Flash, the one episode of Marry Me, and The Affair and Gotham are pretty meh. I might be blanking on something else good, but if I am it can't be that good. Everything else has been crap. I'm hopeful for Constantine, but the review make it sound like the first 5-6 episodes are not good, so... we'll see how that goes.

I recently started watching New Girl. Yeah, four seasons in. I'm slow like that. Also skeptical like that. I never rated twee Zooey in anything else so what else would this show be aside from an irritatingly twee vehicle for her tweeness?

It's funny is what it is. And it's barely even twee.

Just watched The Flash. I had to use subtitles, so I have no idea how the acting actually was but from a visual standpoint it was enjoyable. I know little about the backstory of this one, so it will be interesting to see how the various characters play out and who is hiding what from whom.

Also finally saw Winter Soldier. Enjoyed it a lot - gave a lot of color to Agents of SHIELD that rounds out the series a good deal. I know there is speculation Evans doesn't want to do more than one more movie but I really do like him as Cap.

The second episode of the Affair was as good as the first one imo. It's really awesome to see how strong that show is shaping up to be.

We have really been spoiled this year. The Knick, The Affair, True Detective, Fargo, Outlander, Legend of Korra book three, Hannibal season 2, Vikings season 2, Archer season 5, Black Sails, etc. I'm certainly forgetting stuff, but the point is, we are spoiled! :D

Just got of John Wick.

Fantastic time at the movies this movie is.

Been tempted to see this. I like Kwanu, he is good in certain roles, and the trailer is just awesome. It feels like its worth seeing it just for the "yeah im thinking im back" line.

How would you rate it compared to the last few years action movies?

Been tempted to see this. I like Kwanu, he is good in certain roles, and the trailer is just awesome. It feels like its worth seeing it just for the "yeah im thinking im back" line.

How would you rate it compared to the last few years action movies?

I really really liked it. I'd say it was the movie all the Crank and Transporter movies tried to be.

Will it win any Oscars? No. But it's definitely got some of the best action you'll see all year. And nary a bit of shaky-cam in sight.

I'm watching as it's airing 5 shows right now. Three on sundays (Boardwalk Empire, Homeland and The Walking Dead) and two on wednesdays (American Horror Story and South Park). I want to watch The Affair, I'm hearing very good things about it. Also The Knick that just had it's finale, I'm probably going to binge watch it.

I've really been enjoying season 2 of Plebs. It's kind of a low end version of The Office set in 26BC Rome. Do not watch if a silly thing like "historical accuracy" matters to you; do watch if you want to laugh your ass off.

I've seen the first two episodes of Our Zoo. It's about the family who started the Chester Zoo. It's quite sentimental, but I find it hard to not smile while watching it, so I won't hold the sentimentality against it. And it has Sophia Myles in it, and that's always a good thing in my opinion.

I've also been rewatching season 1 of Peaky Blinders while I work out in the mornings.

Last night I watched Snowpiercer... it's definitely well made, and well acted, but its premise is so fucking stupid that I could never get immersed in the movie.

The night before last I saw Neighbors which was pretty fun, but not anything I would ever consider purchasing.

I've really been enjoying season 2 of Plebs. It's kind of a low end version of The Office set in 26BC Rome. Do not watch if a silly thing like "historical accuracy" matters to you; do watch if you want to laugh your ass off.

You what? I've never heard of it but that sounds right up my alley. I love The Office and I love 26BC Rome and I fart in the general direction of "historical accuracy". AND I do want to laugh my ass off.

I feel like I should return the favour. Have you ever watched Bluestone 42?

You what? I've never heard of it but that sounds right up my alley. I love The Office and I love 26BC Rome and I fart in the general direction of "historical accuracy". AND I do want to laugh my ass off.

I feel like I should return the favour. Have you ever watched Bluestone 42?

I have not heard of that, I'll check it out. Thanks :thumbsup:

I saw John Wick yesterday in IMAX. It was a bloody and obnoxious shoot'em up hitman movie that is pretty entertaining for what it is. It reminded me of a video game world. I also enjoyed some of the guest appearences in the movie.

O'Reilly from Oz. Daniels and Freamon from The Wire. Kevin Nash former wrestler. Keith Jardine former MMA fighter.

I've seen the first two episodes of Our Zoo. It's about the family who started the Chester Zoo. It's quite sentimental, but I find it hard to not smile while watching it, so I won't hold the sentimentality against it. And it has Sophia Myles in it, and that's always a good thing in my opinion.

For that kind of series, Our Zoo is pretty good. It never pretends to be something it's not. I was disappointed with the the conclusion of the series, but the rest was solid :)

I'm an Ancient History student and DO care about historical accuracy but plebs isn't pretending to be historically accurate; it's a comedy and a pretty funny one.

Oh I know. There's just enough people out there that freak out over little inaccuracies that I thought I should put in the caveat. I had thought the season was over, but imdb says there's at least one more. My favorite episode this season was when Water-boy and "Shredder" were replaced by a table and "burner" that was fantastic...but the one with the baby and the one with the stag party were hilarious too. Grumio is absolute comedy gold.

Archived