Photos of Dany and Tyrion together

JonSnowed

Oh god... what are they doing? *sigh* I guess we just have to wait and see. I do hope this isn't the point where the show goes totally downhill like the Sopranos and Dexter.

Not sure what you're talking about wrt The Sopranos, it in no way went "downhill" at any point.

On topic; Where the hell is Barristan?

Not sure what you're talking about wrt The Sopranos, it in no way went "downhill" at any point.

Million dollar question. They seem to have swapped his presence with that of Missandei. I don't think she's supposed to be there.

Barristan's actor is currently directing a play. My guess would be that Barristan is on a mission or something, since he can't be present because he would know Tyrion.

BTW I also think that The Sopranos never truly went downhill, even though I think it peaked at season 4.

Barristan's actor is currently directing a play. My guess would be that Barristan is on a mission or something, since he can't be present because he would know Tyrion.

BTW I also think that The Sopranos never truly went downhill, even though I think it peaked at season 4.

I think season 3 was the best, followed by season 1, but I don't think The Sopranos ever went downhill either.

I think the forum is certainly way too harsh on the show too, you guys simply focus on everything poor while blocking out the stuff they improved/added or did well on. For every bad thing D&D have done ( Karl Tanner, House of undying change, Tywin's death) they have done something good or improved on from the books even ( Arya & Tywin, Ceresi & Robert talking about Lyanna, Oberyn in the cells with Tyrion). GOT is fantastic television and the unsullied can't get enough, D&D only have 10 eps to work with each season too. While S4 had the most stupid shit in it the later half of it was great and redeemed it. We simply have to accept that the show is radically different and judge it differently.

By the way GRRM LOVES the show and thinks it's done good so far.

Also anyone who thinks GOT is as bad as late era dexter I simply don't know what to say lol.

Quoting @Ser Gregor Clegane

I think the forum is certainly way too harsh on the show too, you guys simply focus on everything poor while blocking out the stuff they improved/added or did well on. For every bad thing D&D have done ( Karl Tanner, House of undying change, Tywin's death) they have done something good or improved on from the books even ( Arya & Tywin, Ceresi & Robert talking about Lyanna, Oberyn in the cells with Tyrion). GOT is fantastic television and the unsullied can't get enough, D&D only have 10 eps to work with each season too. While S4 had the most stupid shit in it the later half of it was great and redeemed it. We simply have to accept that the show is radically different and judge it differently.

Also anyone who thinks GOT is as bad as late era dexter I simply don't know what to say lol.

We actually don't know that GRRM loves, or still loves the show, to be honest. He's said some interesting things of late, in print and in person, that could be taken many ways. I really don't have a problem with someone liking the show or being a okay with every point, it's just sometimes the over abundance of excuses some always seem to have for D&D and the show. By the way, I don't mean you, this is just sort of a disclaimer in general before I make the one point I want to make in relation to your post. I can't continue to give D&D and the show the excuse of only having 10 episodes a season to tell the/their story. The 10 episode excuse just doesn't fly with me, not much now anyway........as this past season it was glaringly obvious that the show left more and more minutes on the cutting room floor most every episode. It's been awhile since many of us gotten into all the exact details, an exact minute count, but the lack of one hour shows each week, missing minutes, was one of the biggest complaints of the year. The more the season went on, the more noticeable it became. They probably left about one whole hour out, give or take, off of the screen. Those missing minutes could have made a world of difference on the final product's continuity. They had the time to make many things intelligently understandable, they just didn't use them. As I said before, this isn't all about your post, your comments about the 10 episodes just reminded me of the missing minute complaint, LOL As I said, I don't really have an issue with those who enjoy the show, etc. It's just those who over excuse and pre-emptorily are already deciding.........anything the show does is perfect, any mistake the show has made is minuscule and not worth dwelling on, and it's all GRRM's fault. Nothing is perfect, not the books, not the show, certainly not me, LOL

ETA: Not sure how I lost the regular quote box and all, it's happened more than once today. Sorry.

In my experience, people that pick issues with tiny details and moan about changes to the text without understanding the multiple mitigating circumstances that go behind that change, far far far outweigh the people that make excuses for any poor decisions and pronounce the show as perfect. The latter barely even happens at all. The problem isn't people having issues with things; for me it is the fact that people want too many things to translate too faithfully to the text, which is understandably held with such high regard.

I don't believe there has ever been a single decision that was made lightly - certainly not one that was made on either showrunner's whim in order to relegate some character they don't like or just fuck with the book readers. The show has to be made as a coherent hour of television every single week. This is the main point for me. There has to be a unified theme every episode so that the incredibly complex, sprawling text can be expressed in tolerable chunks. The amount of planning that must go into every single second of this show is staggering to me, and the fact that it has translated into one of the best, if not the best, adaptations I've ever seen should be rightly lauded.

It isn't perfect - not many people think it is - but it is a damn-sight better than anyone could have ever hoped for an epic such as this. People who insult the integrity or effort of D&D from the comfort of their armchair, or use the classic disparaging tone alongside many invocations of their names, I don't have much time for.

I'm not sure how this turned into such a long rant. Apologies.

In any case...I have the strong feeling that it's going to be so soap opera-esque, it will be embarrassing to watch. Then again, I am a drama king. Big reveals sell, but shock is cheap. And doing things for the sake of shocking people is just dumb.

I feel like the books go for shockers much more than the show does. The books revel in death fake-outs, cliffhangers, surprise resurrections, sneaky prophecies with huge implications, ect. The show has much less of a tendency to do any of those things, at least so far.

The most shocking moments in the show have mostly (all?) been straight from the books. The show really doesn't have the track record of throwing in shocking plot twists that you're insinuating.

The excitement of the R+L=J reveal in both media will probably be the circumstances surrounding the reveal more than the reveal itself. We want to know who tells Jon, why, what he does with the knowledge, (and in the books, additional R & L backstory).

I can't continue to give D&D and the show the excuse of only having 10 episodes a season to tell the/their story. The 10 episode excuse just doesn't fly with me, not much now anyway........as this past season it was glaringly obvious that the show left more and more minutes on the cutting room floor most every episode. It's been awhile since many of us gotten into all the exact details, an exact minute count, but the lack of one hour shows each week, missing minutes, was one of the biggest complaints of the year. The more the season went on, the more noticeable it became. They probably left about one whole hour out, give or take, off of the screen. Those missing minutes could have made a world of difference on the final product's continuity. They had the time to make many things intelligently understandable, they just didn't use them.

I agree with you that a little more connective material and fleshing out could have been really helpful and enjoyable. Yara's raid on the Dreadfort is the most obvious example where there just wasn't enough flesh there for the sequence to work.

I don't think the issue has ever been allotted airtime. The issue is the many man-hours and expense that go into each minute of screen time - the GoT crew seem to be at the limit of the number of minutes they can physically make each year. I doubt they have another 60 minutes of usable material that they just decided not to put in for the heck of it.

Everybody in the box is probably there for a reason. Dany and Hizdahr have to be there, obviously. Dario is probably there to make the scene super awkward. Tyrion is probably there so he can meet Dany before she leaves the city. Missandei is probably there to eat poison. Tyrion and Missandei are also good at awkward.

That's already a lot of people in the scene. It just might not make sense to crowd Grey Worm and Barristan into that scene if they don't have much of a role to play. Grey Worm and Barristan could simply be standing somewhere else in the arena. Jaime didn't stand near Joffrey during the purple wedding.

Quoting @Ser Gregor Clegane

We actually don't know that GRRM loves, or still loves the show, to be honest. He's said some interesting things of late, in print and in person, that could be taken many ways. I really don't have a problem with someone liking the show or being a okay with every point, it's just sometimes the over abundance of excuses some always seem to have for D&D and the show. By the way, I don't mean you, this is just sort of a disclaimer in general before I make the one point I want to make in relation to your post. I can't continue to give D&D and the show the excuse of only having 10 episodes a season to tell the/their story. The 10 episode excuse just doesn't fly with me, not much now anyway........as this past season it was glaringly obvious that the show left more and more minutes on the cutting room floor most every episode. It's been awhile since many of us gotten into all the exact details, an exact minute count, but the lack of one hour shows each week, missing minutes, was one of the biggest complaints of the year. The more the season went on, the more noticeable it became. They probably left about one whole hour out, give or take, off of the screen. Those missing minutes could have made a world of difference on the final product's continuity. They had the time to make many things intelligently understandable, they just didn't use them. As I said before, this isn't all about your post, your comments about the 10 episodes just reminded me of the missing minute complaint, LOL As I said, I don't really have an issue with those who enjoy the show, etc. It's just those who over excuse and pre-emptorily are already deciding.........anything the show does is perfect, any mistake the show has made is minuscule and not worth dwelling on, and it's all GRRM's fault. Nothing is perfect, not the books, not the show, certainly not me, LOL

ETA: Not sure how I lost the regular quote box and all, it's happened more than once today. Sorry.

I certainly agree this show needs more than 10 eps but we don't know if D&D refuse to go above it for some reason or if HBO are putting restrictions down, GRRM really wants more eps too, plus more than 7 seasons.

A lot of people are saying Barristan is not here because he is dead or he had a falling out withe D&D, but could it be his actor's age, physical appearance and capability? I know they can always use stuntmen, but show Barristan truly doesn't look like he'd be anything approaching a capable fighter, so if he suddenly started picking dudes apart it might not come off as believable.

Well, Konradsmith answered that question for you:

Where is Barristan? Well, Ian McElhinney's in N.I. directing a play his wife wrote. He said in an interview that he's finished shooting.

And I agree with what another user said here before: We don't know what the context of this picture is. We don't know:

- if Dany is sitting there all nice and calm while Jorah is in the fighting pit

- why Jorah is in the fighting pit

- if Dany and Tyrion have met at this point

- if Dany and Tyrion will meet at this point

- if Tyrion is Hizdahr's servant/slave at this point

- if Tyrion is Dany's servant/slave at this point

- if Barristan is not there because he was poisoned

- if Barristan is not there because he's a hostage

- if Barristan is not there, because his actor has other obligations

- if Missandei will eat the poisoned locusts

- if there will be poisoned locusts at all.

And while I usually appreciate healthy speculation, the amount of conclusion-jumping, butt-hurting, scape-goating and all around negativity on this forum is simply baffling and disgusting to me.

So how about we all just take a breath, accept that the show is not the books and chill, ffs?

People are mad Tyrion actually meets Dany? Is it going to be like this when Dany goes to Westeros, Sansa kills Littlefinger, and the Others finally come to the Wall? This is a small piece of wish fulfillment for me. I welcome the changes to Feast and Dance; they did far too much expansion with far too little pay off.

People are mad Tyrion actually meets Dany? Is it going to be like this when Dany goes to Westeros, Sansa kills Littlefinger, and the Others finally come to the Wall? This is a small piece of wish fulfillment for me. I welcome the changes to Feast and Dance; they did far too much expansion with far too little pay off.

Agreed, there's enough bloat and travelogue in those books to choke a dragon.

Agreed, there's enough bloat and travelogue in those books to choke a dragon.

Not that it's a problem in the books imo, I loved learning about the world. But in TV show things like that just don't work. "Lets focus on the travels of this tertiary character who has no impact at all on the story for 3 episodes to show a new city" -type of things would drive away the show watchers.

Not that it's a problem in the books imo, I loved learning about the world. But in TV show things like that just don't work. "Lets focus on the travels of this tertiary character who has no impact at all on the story for 3 episodes to show a new city" -type of things would drive away the show watchers.

Eh, I don't think it always works in the books, either. People get bored and put the book down or skip ahead. I skipped after I couldn't take anymore of Brienne's misadventures.

Eh, I don't think it always works in the books, either. People get bored and put the book down or skip ahead. I skipped after I couldn't take anymore of Brienne's misadventures.

In truth I thought the Brienne chapters were by far the weakest in the books also, so there is no disagreement here. I'm glad I didn't skip over them though because there were some interesting things embedded in them too, especially near the end. So yeah of course it doesn't always work in the books but in general it does work far better than it would on TV... I can't even imagine how many show-only people would give it up next season if it was full of Brienne's side-quests.

In truth I thought the Brienne chapters were by far the weakest in the books also, so there is no disagreement here. I'm glad I didn't skip over them though because there were some interesting things embedded in them too, especially near the end. So yeah of course it doesn't always work in the books but in general it does work far better than it would on TV... I can't even imagine how many show-only people would give it up next season if it was full of Brienne's side-quests.

I really like the character of Brienne and in the books I was willing to forgive the moments where her story dragged along forthose gems like Septon Merbald in exchange.

And the interaction of Brienne and Pod is great since both actors, Christie especially, are wonderful. But I admit: If the show has to make room for other plotlines it could be done here.

Archived