Fantasy series with multiple viewpoints and toned-down magical elements - recommendations ?

Syhle

Thanks again for your answers !

The Gemmell troy series might be a good suggestion. Not too grimdark (author always was cloned harsher and edgier than he really was), better writing late on the career, low magic (i know it might seem funny to say the Iliad is 'low magic' what with the apple of discord, Cassandra and Laocoon and the snakes, but the series is different ofc), multiple PoV. Not medieval, but ...

The story is famous of course, but retold well enough as such things tend to be retold by the authors that feel like they can attempt it.

Seems interesting (thanks to the others who mentioned it as well), I will put it in my list ! I'm not that set on a medieval-ish world (it's just that I like it less when it's too "modern"), greek mythology suits me fine.

Apart from anything else, the shadow babies didn't solve anything. They're the beginning of a plot, not the resolution to one. You can accuse them of being contrived - I wouldn't agree but it's a possible criticism, I guess- but they don't fit the definition of DEM in the slightest.

That's exactly what I think. I hate DEM and nothing in ASOIAF came close to it, in my opinion. That's what I like : light touches of magical stuff here and there but not all over the place and resolving every plot...

As for the OP, you gonna have to expand your range a bit. If you are looking for "Something really like ASOIAF but that isn't ASOIAF", it don't exist.

That's literally the answer to every thread of this sort we get.

Yeah sorry I tried to compile criteria that together sound a lot like "I want another ASOIAF" but they don't have to be all filled, of course. The main points are multiple POV and low magic, the rest can be different.

I don't know... I usually would point to The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes as something that is really like ASOIAF, but not. I don't think it's as good, but as far as a fantasy series in the same vein of ASOIAF, I think it's as close as you get.

I did read the first book this weekend ! I enjoyed it but it was a bit simple and the characters too bland. The writing style irked me a bit (but I read it in french so it might not be only the author's fault). I read reviews on the rest of the quartet and it seemed the quality went downhill so I read spoilers about the following books and the ending (I did not find a lot of detail though so if anyone wants to explain it to me you're welcome !)

Half a King fits most of the requirements of the OP, minus the multiple POV's

Thanks, as many others recommended Abercrombie I will definitely read some of his works.

Why not read out-and-out historical fiction? Unless, your bottom line for qualification is multiple pov, as much of the best historical fiction has a limited third person or omniscient narrator, or even a first person narrator.

But you might like the Plantagenet series by Sharon Kay Penman. She didn't publish them necessarily in chronological order, but by now you can read them that way. As she's got a French publisher you might even be able to get the books / or order them in France.

Bernard Cornwell is another author you could very much like, but these are almost all in first person, including his very popular series, The Saxon Stories.

As well, France has many very fine historical novelists herself, including Maurice Druon, on whose works GRRM has drawn a great deal.

Why not read out-and-out historical fiction? Unless, your bottom line for qualification is multiple pov, as much of the best historical fiction has a limited third person or omniscient narrator, or even a first person narrator.

But you might like the Plantagenet series by Sharon Kay Penman. She didn't publish them necessarily in chronological order, but by now you can read them that way. As she's got a French publisher you might even be able to get the books / or order them in France.

Bernard Cornwell is another author you could very much like, but these are almost all in first person, including his very popular series, The Saxon Stories.

As well, France has many very fine historical novelists herself, including Maurice Druon, on whose works GRRM has drawn a great deal.

Sharon Kay Penman can be amazing, sometimes. The 'Sunne In Splendor' is my favorite historical fiction novel, and 'When Christ and his Saints Slept' and 'The Devil's Brood' are also amazing. However, she has a tendency to turn her novels into bad romance novels. The Welsh trilogy is essentially a romance series, and the Lionheart novels are worse. If you want something like Ice and Fire, read the novels I listed before.

Reading the op for me it comes down to what you classify as low magic. I'm the same and really enjoy "low magic" books. One of my all time favs is the Monachies of God by Paul Kearney. Epic battles and from my point of view limited magic. Just finished the 4th book in Daniel Abrahams The dagger and the coin series and I would consider it the same. Taking into account what you've already read and enjoyed (Hobb and Le Quin which I've read) go with Monarchies of God.

That's indeed a possibility, I will add these books to my list, thanks to all posters who suggested historical fiction books !

The only thing missing for me in historical fiction (due to the genre itself) is the description of another, different world, because I like reading new maps and names ! But apart from this it does fit most of the requirements.

Reading the op for me it comes down to what you classify as low magic. I'm the same and really enjoy "low magic" books. One of my all time favs is the Monachies of God by Paul Kearney. Epic battles and from my point of view limited magic. Just finished the 4th book in Daniel Abrahams The dagger and the coin series and I would consider it the same. Taking into account what you've already read and enjoyed (Hobb and Le Quin which I've read) go with Monarchies of God.

I've just started the first book of Monarchies of God and I really like it so far ! Thanks for the suggestion !

Reading the op for me it comes down to what you classify as low magic. I'm the same and really enjoy "low magic" books. One of my all time favs is the Monachies of God by Paul Kearney.

You know, except for the sodomizing werewolves, and magical wooden legs.

I do love me some Kearney though.

Thank you, Thread, for giving me a good laugh or two today.

OP, just buy Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet series or the (as yet unfinished, but never mind, DA is very prompt in releasing the next "installment") The Dagger and the Coin series. Neither of these gems will disappoint, whether there's magic in them or not.

In The Dagger and the Coin you will get all the multiple POVs your heart desires - maybe not as clear-cut as in aSoIaF, but there nonetheless.

You'll thank us later. :)

Thank you, Thread, for giving me a good laugh or two today.

OP, just buy Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet series or the (as yet unfinished, but never mind, DA is very prompt in releasing the next "installment") The Dagger and the Coin series. Neither of these gems will disappoint, whether there's magic in them or not.

In The Dagger and the Coin you will get all the multiple POVs your heart desires - maybe not as clear-cut as in aSoIaF, but there nonetheless.

You'll thank us later. :)

Agreed.

Start there, and then give up the silly 'low magic' requirement for your reading. You're missing out on a lot.

I've said numerous times in this thread (glad to see it is laughable) that I'm pretty much open to anything (and Abraham is already on my list anyway, I do plan to read it), I've just listed preferences like "low magic", I do apologize for having "silly" tastes.

Thanks for the advice anyway

Is there a specific reason you have requested "low magic"? I think most SFF fans appreciate a lot of high magic too and so to me it just seems an odd desirable.

I stand be my earlier recs based on your original requirements though and its entirely up to you what you prefer to read. :)

Archived