party rules?

killacali

So my friends having a halloween party and she doesnt want everyone staying the Night at her house, and I said thats part of having a party and ppl drinking. She thinks everyone should be responsable and not drink too much. Shes kind of moving up on the World and is working on her masters, and all her friends(me too) are just getting by. So does her having a party imply ppl can stay the Night or is she right and ppl should not drink too much. I know theres alot of differnt types of ppl on this fourm so just want a differnt perspective. All the ppl that would be staying the Night would be close friends too, not just ramdom ppl

Unless its teenagers, its not the party host's responsibility to make sure guests don't drink too much (so long as they don't get disruptive) or have a place to spend the night. If someone drinks too much and can't get home, they should call a cab or another friend to come pick them up.

Expecting people to either drink in moderation, find a DD, or call a cab is pretty standard at every party I've been to post-college. I have been to a few parties where people have explicitly said that you could crash on a couch or something, but that is not the norm, and in my experience people rarely take you up on that.

Assuming all guests are of legal drinking age then they are old enough to either plan for an alternate route home or appropriately moderate their drinking. It isn't the hosts job to babysit. I don't go out drinking unless I know where I'm sleeping and how I am going to get there.

I agree with the above posts. It's really hard for me to see how someone over age 30 thinks that it would be a host's responsibility to put up party guests overnight without that being an explicit part of the original invitation. So I wonder if perhaps you are from another culture I am not familiar with and really shouldn't be asking people on an international board for advice. :)

I definitely would not assume that a party invitation includes crashing on the couch. Even when I was in university I'd only expect a host who was a close friend to offer a couch and fried breakfast. Besides, the whole point of Halloween parties is to leave with a girl in a slutty costume, not crash on the couch.

Uber. Be prepared for surge pricing.

I guess it depends on what kind of party it is. If the host has at any time during the run-up to the party has said "LET'S GET FUCKING WASTED!!!!", or words to that effect, some falling asleep in situ is to be expected. If it's a more moderate affair, sleep elsewhere. After you've helped with the clearing up.

All adults, 25 and up. Does it matter that their all close frineds that wanna stay the night? And we in the u.s. if it matters(pretty sure partys are the same everywhere, at least what I'm asking about) and I stay the night at her house every party she has but she doesn't have a problem with that cause I'm one person, its when everyone wants to stay the night.and looks like from most of the posts she right :'(

people should be respectful of her wishes and drink responsibly. not every party needs to be a drunken debacle. if the host does not want everyone staying the night that is his/er right. however, being the host if someone is not capable of getting home safe it is her duty to find a place for them to sleep. the host is liable for any accidents that occurred after drinking at their home

One party rule is that if someone passes out from to much drinking and they took their shoes off you can't mess with them. They took their shoes off to sleep.

Now if they left their shoes on and passed out then they are fair game for magic marker penises and shaving cream.

Lmao, some of my friends I used to party with had the same rules, u from nothern cali by chance?

Your friend is wise to exercise caution with the invitations. It's a slippery slope. Vampires need to be invited inside, I assume similar rules apply to beligerent drunks and garden variety malfeasors

On the flipside, maybe her concerns should be a red flag for you. Ask for bread and salt and wear armor in case she decides to clear out the party by any means necessary when the night closes in.

She should just tell people ahead of time. "I won't be able to provide sleeping arrangements, so please plan ahead."

At the very least, I would be highly amused to get an invitation that stated something like that. She should do that.

When I throw parties I am always prepared to entertain my guests until morning. But there's a catch - anyone, who ends up staying past a certain point (varies, depending on when the majority of other guests leaves) gets swept up in the cleaning process.

I can usually guess which guests will stay late - closer friends stay later, sometimes until morning. I would even offer those a couch/bed if they truly need it, but it has only happened on occasion.

NB: My parties are not of the type you see on Hollywood college movies - a house full of random people, everyone wandering about and drinking standing up, often in the hallway. I make sure to be able to fit all my guests in the living room (thus I never invite more than 15-20 people) and although the party is fluid and people can move to other rooms, the living room remains the heart of the party.

Along the same theme, I've been invited to a halloween party by a work colleague. So what exactly is a Halloween party? Like how does it differ from other regular parties (clearly I don't live in north america, though I have some basic understanding of halloween from american movies/tv). And what should one bring to a halloween party?

Archived