Some of the house sigils are foreshadowing devices

Brynden Blackfish Jr.

House Umber's sigil is a giant breaking out of its chains, which I am almost convinced is foreshadowing the Greatjon's escape from the Twins. The Greatjon is a giant of a man in his own right and is currently locked up in chains at the Twins. Another sigil I noticed has a lot of significance, at least for its historical parallel to heraldy used in the Wars of Roses, is the Tyrell rose. I think it is also a foreshadowing device- roses don't survive the winter, but direwolves sure as hell do, and winter is about to arrive in Westeros. I think the Tyrells have reached the peak of their power and they won't survive winter. I look at Margaery Tyrell and see close parallels to Anne Boleyn, who experienced a meteoric rise to power and dramatic downfall and execution. I think Margaery and her family, like the Boleyns, have amassed too much power and will suffer for it. Stannis's sigil is a burning stag, which I believe might also be foreshadowing his fate, but I am not sure yet. The title of the seventh book is supposed to be A Dream of Spring, which sounds pretty ominous to me.

Can you think of any sigils whose foreshadowing already came to pass?

Right now the Tully sigil is the one that comes to mind, with Catelyn's body being thrown into the river after the Red Wedding, but others have already mentioned that. The show adds some pretty clever foreshadowing not seen in the books, such as when Tywin skins the stag and fishes for trout before Renly's death and the Red Wedding, respectively.

I like the idea that the sigil and the words of the houses show that their greatest strength it's actually their downfall. So far the Tyrells are growing strong in their hunger for power, something that I think will backfire soon. The proud Lannisters that want to maintain their power but just dig their graves thinking they are so much better than everyone else and despises good counsel. The Arryns that forgot honor when it was needed the most. The Starks who should be worried about Winter (capital W)...

I'm digressing, but maybe their symbolism is just what it is, plain and simple. The Stag is eaten by the Lion. The Eagle just fly around. The Kraken is extinct. The Sun is just there, shining at day time. The Rose is delicate and a southland thing. The Direwolf is a strong winter beast. The Trout swims oblivious. The Freys are a double cross. The three-headed Dragon is the ultimate creature that subjects all of them.

Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe, but I do think they reflect not only their personality but also the end game.

Stannis' sigil is the stag being practically devoured by the fiery heart, echoing his vision of a king burning with crown of fire

But in sigils that most definitely don't represent a House: the Florent fox, cause none of them is smart in any way

Archived