Your thoughts for Penny?

Duckfield

What do you think is going to happen with Penny?

Personally I like her and all.. as a character I think she's very well written, has an interesting background story, and she seems to be one of the few people that we know in the free cities/slaver's bay story lines that is actually a decent person with a good heart. Yet, something about her being involved with THAT part of the story really bothers me, it feels like she (as a character) is just too much of a contrast with everything that is happening. To me Slaver's Bay seems to be the most horrible place in the story, and now with the battle that's about to start, the outbreak of the pale mare, and the dragons unconstrained it's even worse yet that's where she ends up.

We just met Penny now, in the second half of ADWD, and by the end of the book she's already going through so much hell... She lost the only family she had, she lost her beloved trained pets Pretty Pig and Crunch, she's sold into slavery, she has the physical disadvantage because she's a dwarf and all, she's very depended on Tyrion but even he doesn't think that he can keep her (or even himself) safe, he also doesn't see her as very bright and thinks that she lacks the ingenuity needed to survive. It seems like she loves Tyrion, but he doesn't love her back, at least not in the same way. She just doesn't get a break... and on top of all that it feels to me that out of all the characters in Meereen right now, she's the least likely to survive...

Is it only me or is this just too unnecessarily frustrating..? :(

Do you think there's any hope for her to last through the series?

I'd be very surprised if she does

*sorry if there are mistakes, English is not my first language

I personally don't like her she seams to be in there just as an example of the type of people and why there are slaves. Tryion said she was looking for a master ever since her brother die and that is why she was somewhat happy as a slave. Tryion doesn't seam to have any romantic feelings toward her and only pity for her. I don't see her last much longer in the books, either she dies in the battle or if I remember correctly there was some hint she was riding the Pale Mare in one of the sample chapters for Winds of Winter and that almost always ends in death.

What's with all the Penny hate I'm reading on ASOIAF sites? I like her. I empathize with her. The most important part of Penny's inclusion in the novels is how Tyrion interacts with her. I think her character exists to convey to the reader how much Tyrion has changed, both in the middle of ADWD, and how he's changed (and become more of his former self) in his TWOW chapter. The way he treats her in ADWD and in his released TWOW chapter are very different. Why? Tyrion in ADWD is a depressed drunkard (more so than he was) who didn't give a damn if he died. Tyrion in TWOW now cares more for his life. Perhaps it's because he has control over his life again, not sure.

Kind of went on a tangent by accident, but you get what I'm saying. I think she's a tragic, enjoyable character to read about, and she's important because the reader needs to study how Tyrion interacts with her.

EDIT: As for the second part of your question, I honestly see Penny making it out of the battle. Not sure how long she'll survive after that, but something tells me Tyrion will protect her for as long as he can.

I actually don't hate her character, unlike most people, but I don't think she has a chance in hell of getting out of Slaver's Bay alive

Pretty much this. I feel bad for her, but I think she was important to Tyrion's story and now that he's focused once more, then I think her time is up, sadly. She's not getting out of SB alive.

I find her boring except where she makes me sad.

I actually don't hate her character, unlike most people, but I don't think she has a chance in hell of getting out of Slaver's Bay alive

Agree on both accounts.

She might have been slightly less boring if something interesting was actually happening in Tyrion's storyline during the time he is with her.

I think Penny is also in the book to show how much Tyrion has changed from the Tysha Time. Here is Penny, who loves Tyrion for himself, yet is not very sophisticated, proud or noble, and instead is good hearted. He is not interested in her Romantically, and finds her naive, unambitious and annoying. He does try to protect her, but the Tysha days are now a fantasy of memory.

I think Penny is also in the book to show how much Tyrion has changed from the Tysha Time. Here is Penny, who loves Tyrion for himself, yet is not very sophisticated, proud or noble, and instead is good hearted. He is not interested in her Romantically, and finds her naive, unambitious and annoying. He does try to protect her, but the Tysha days are now a fantasy of memory.

If Tysha didn't manage to convince him that he doesn't deserve love and therefore not to trust it's appearance, Shae in his dad's bed probably put paid to the idea forever. (Not Tysha or Shae's faults, just his personal experience). I think from this point going forward he'll buy 'love' with eyes open, and leave the rest to people who deserve it.

I think she is okay. I subscribe to theory that she is Tyrion's daughter by Tysha (she remarried sometime when Penny was an infant).

If that is the case, I don't see her surviving the second Dance with the Sand Snakes wanting to kill Lannisters, and Arianne probably along the same bent (or if she wants to bond a dragon needs someone to blow the horn).

She could symbolize the "killing of a mockingbird" by the Martells/Aegon's side, and show their descent into darkness. I go with Arianne having her blow the horn given it would be a reversal of her father's policy of putting innocent life before ambitions when Arianne sacrifices an innocent to further her own ambitions.

I think she is okay. I subscribe to theory that she is Tyrion's daughter by Tysha (she remarried sometime when Penny was an infant).

If that is the case, I don't see her surviving the second Dance with the Sand Snakes wanting to kill Lannisters, and Arianne probably along the same bent (or if she wants to bond a dragon needs someone to blow the horn).

She could symbolize the "killing of a mockingbird" by the Martells, and show how much darker they have become. I go with Arianne having her blow the horn given it would be a reversal of her father's policy of putting innocent life before ambitions when Arianne sacrifices an innocent to further her own ambitions.

Penny is 18. There is no way the timelines match up.

What's with all the Penny hate I'm reading on ASOIAF sites? I like her. I empathize with her. The most important part of Penny's inclusion in the novels is how Tyrion interacts with her. I think her character exists to convey to the reader how much Tyrion has changed, both in the middle of ADWD, and how he's changed (and become more of his former self) in his TWOW chapter. The way he treats her in ADWD and in his released TWOW chapter are very different. Why? Tyrion in ADWD is a depressed drunkard (more so than he was) who didn't give a damn if he died. Tyrion in TWOW now cares more for his life. Perhaps it's because he has control over his life again, not sure.

Kind of went on a tangent by accident, but you get what I'm saying. I think she's a tragic, enjoyable character to read about, and she's important because the reader needs to study how Tyrion interacts with her.

EDIT: As for the second part of your question, I honestly see Penny making it out of the battle. Not sure how long she'll survive after that, but something tells me Tyrion will protect her for as long as he can.

:agree: I also like Penny.

Archived