MMA & Boxing 15 - Cain Velasquez spends so much time injured he should play for Arsenal

Davrum

The Super Samoan will get a shot at UFC gold when he steps in at short notice against Fabricio Werdum for the injured champ. The only question now - how much does an "off-camp" Hunto have to cut to make 265?

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/10/cain-velasquez-out-mark-hunt-fabricio-werdum-set-for-interim-title-at-ufc-180

Fuck YES! War hunt!

I think the chances of Hunt actually beating Werdum are very low to be honest but if he actually KOs Werdum I will completely lose my shit. An Aussie (Kiwi) heavyweight (interim) champion!

The injuries have been insane this year. But I'm not all that fussed about this one because I think Cain would have murdered Werdum, I think the only one with a chance against Cain at HW is JDS and look what Cain did to him in their last two fights. But overall the injuries have been devastating this year, think about all the awesome fights that have been cancelled. At least we get a legit mainevent this time instead of a Joe Soto or whoever just fought Mighty Mouse (can't even remember his name and I paid for it lol). The rest of the card is alright: Jake Ellenberger vs. Kelvin Gastelum, Ricardo Lamas vs. Dennis Bermudez and Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon.

On Hunt's weight, he was trying really hard to get onto the Sydney card which is a week before UFC 180 so hopefully he'll be fine - he claims those rumours about him being absurdly overweight the week before his last fight were false.

edit Hah, I just realised this was the big Mexico event, they're all gonna be so bummed now. This event was so popular in Mexico, it sold out in hours but they all wanted Cain.

I think Mark's weight will be fine but this is also way the hell up in Mexico City at 7K and while Mark has a better gas tank that he's given credit for he struggled when he fought (and, yes, beat) Rothwell at 5K in Denver. And Werdum has already been living up there acclimatising.

It's an intriguing match-up though. Werdum's known for BJJ but his muay thai under Cordeiro has become an impressive part of his game and he's a wiley character.

Aaaaand Joe Lauzon is out of UFC 180 too. That would probably have been an awesome fight.

UFC has had a serious problem with injuries this year and I don't think it's enough for them to simply say "welp look how unlucky we got, what are you gonna do?" They need to cut back on the amount of cards as a whole, their roster is being stretched so thin that we've actually had Joe Soto and Chris Cariaso headline PPVs this year, not to mention a whole PPV being cancelled - not so fun when you can't scapegoat Jon Jones and Greg Jackson is it Dana?

Aaaaand Joe Lauzon is out of UFC 180 too. That would probably have been an awesome fight.

UFC has had a serious problem with injuries this year and I don't think it's enough for them to simply say "welp look how unlucky we got, what are you gonna do?" They need to cut back on the amount of cards as a whole, their roster is being stretched so thin that we've actually had Joe Soto and Chris Cariaso headline PPVs this year, not to mention a whole PPV being cancelled - not so fun when you can't scapegoat Jon Jones and Greg Jackson is it Dana?

What's ironic is that this is the biggest thing that he used to criticize boxing for was the watering down of cards. In the end a promoter is a promoter and Dana's no different in going after our wallets. It's about trying to get more bucks for less bang and he'll push that envelope as long as he thinks he can get a return. Dana's always been one to go after or support whatever he thought would make money for himself and his investors. I always knew that the supercards could never last forever. The bigger name fighters were always going to eventually demand more than the pittance of guaranteed purses that they got and once ppv money started going around the only way to ensure that they could keep them all all happy with their percentages was to split them all off into separate cards. Not to mention they haven't really been able to build that next superstar.

Here's one good article that I read awhile back...

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/12/ufc_on_fox_a_huge_tv_deal_was_supposed_to_secure_its_future_so_why_is_the.html

Basically what's happening to the UFC is the same thing DW said was happening to Strikeforce and EliteXC at the hands of Showtime before them,... they're getting run into the ground and what's good for the network isn't necessarily good for MMA promoters. Especially a single promoter with a finite roster of talent. Fox doesn't care if they've stalled the UFC's growth, they just want content. There's alot of issues at play here. But this did get DW to start promoting women and lighter weight classes so fighters win as there is now a wider marketplace for fighters to ply their trade.

I also think they need to start thinking about The Ultimate Fighter, two of their most injury prone champions (Pettis and Cain) have been stuck on the sideline for months coaching fucking TUF when they could be fighting. Pettis' inaction has seriously stunted the whole division - it's a mess. There might have been a time when TUF was useful in terms of promoting the fight between the coaches but TUF has become increasingly more irrelevant. This season is a bit of different because it's actually awesome but it's really a one-time thing. I don't see why they need 'coaches' to take so much time out. I think if they want to continue TUF they should give each team an actual coaching staff and have some fighters drop in every now and then (which they do already).

Pettis has fought 3 fights in the last 3 years. Since beating Cerrone, Pettis has fought once while Cerrone has fought 7 fucking times! Cain has only fought 2 different people in the last 4 years! Here's an idea: when they're ready to fight how about you not put them on fucking TUF for months of inaction, this isn't fucking rocket science.

Speaking of Cerrone, he just had a fight booked with Myles Jury which is awesome. Jury has earned the step up in competition and honestly it would make this division less fucked up if Jury was able to beat Cerrone.

Back to UFC 180, Sanchez is now out too so there's no hope of a replacement which is a shame for the Mexicans. My advice is get McGregor on the card because he's been incessantly asking to be on it - scrap his fight with Dennis Siver (which is a joke of a match up anyway) and put him against Bermudez and find an easy opponent for Lamas (who the Mexicans will want to see win).

Jury's an odd one. He's looked so great at times and aside from losing a split in TUF to Al Iaquinta he's yet to be beaten in 17 fights and yet he doesn't seem to set imaginations on fire.

And I'm with you on the 180 fix. Do you have Joe Silva's number?

Godamn that was an awesome fight, they both took some crazy shots - Mendes took an amazing amount of damage. Aldo 1,2,3,5 on my scorecard, he's such a beautiful fighter. The title is still in BRASIL!!!!!! :D

:agree: :D

That fight was sick.

There were moments when I thought there were technical issues with the feed and I was seeing the fight in fast motion. If you didn't see Aldo-Mendes II, do your self a favour and change that situation. Truly great fight!

Godamn that was an awesome fight, they both took some crazy shots - Mendes took an amazing amount of damage. Aldo 1,2,3,5 on my scorecard, he's such a beautiful fighter. The title is still in BRASIL!!!!!! :D

Aldo is a beast. Purely Brazilian style of fighter. Wonderful to watch. Happy to see him display all the skill of the lighter weight fighters. Mendes is a really game fighter. Made it all the more exciting.

Archived