Lady Stoneheart's claim?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Does Lady Stoneheart want to do anything besides killing Lannisters/Freys?

Since she technically did survive the Red Wedding, isn't she still Lady Stark, queen mother of the North?

Don't the Northern Lords owe her fealty rather than to slimy Roose Bolton?

What if she went North and tried to press her claim? The Northern Lords would have little choice but to bend the knee right?

She could be regent for Bran, Rickon, Sansa or Arya, but not inherit herself. On the other hand, she does have a claim to Riverrun herself.

Nevertheless, she's dead. And legalities don't matter one whiff. Swords do.

By the way, she does protect the smallfolk of the Riverlands and searches desperately for Arya. She's protecting Robb's legacy. That's her top priority. Hanging Freys is just a bonus.

She has Robb's crown and I believe she was named as his heir so she's the queen in the north and rivers.

I think she keeps this crown for any of the girls she can find.She knows both of them are alive but missing.I don't think she wants to claim anything.The fact that she keeps her identity a secret for anyone outside BWB leads to this.

Robb named Jon his heir.

It certainly seems that way, but it is never stated.

First we see Robb saying he wants to name Jon heir, then later we are told that Cat fell for Robb's trap, and had to accept his decision, even though she didn't like it.

Some people have speculated he actually wanted to name her heir, but knew she wouldn't accept. Therefore he trapped her by making sure the only alternative was for Jon to be heir which she would like even less.

I hadn't read that theory before. Crackpot or text supported? IIRC they discussed the subject for the last time at Tumblestones just before the RW.

To be honest, I haven't looked that much into it. Just something I saw a while back, and thought sounded somewhat interesting. At the very least it explains why Robb had to "trap" Cat. If he wanted to name Jon, he just had to name Jon and that would be the end of it.

First we see Robb saying he wants to name Jon heir, then later we are told that Cat fell for Robb's trap, and had to accept his decision, even though she didn't like it.

Some people have speculated he actually wanted to name her heir, but knew she wouldn't accept. Therefore he trapped her by making sure the only alternative was for Jon to be heir which she would like even less.

Yeah, Robb actually says that Sansa can't get WF because she's married to Tyrion, and that Bran and Rickon are dead, but if I remember correctly, he doesn't say anything about Arya

And then we get Stoneheart combing the Riverlands for orphan children, looking for Arya, all while holding Robb's crown. Hmmmm

To be honest, I haven't looked that much into it. Just something I saw a while back, and thought sounded somewhat interesting. At the very least it explains why Robb had to "trap" Cat. If he wanted to name Jon, he just had to name Jon and that would be the end of it.

Interesting. I assumed his "trap" was getting her to accept Jon as his heir knowing how much she despises and mistrusts him. I'll definitely need to pay close attention on my re-read (starting number 3 now, goodbye social life).

Yeah, Robb actually says that Sansa can't get WF because she's married to Tyrion, and that Bran and Rickon are dead, but if I remember correctly, he doesn't say anything about Arya

And then we get Stoneheart combing the Riverlands for orphan children, looking for Arya, all while holding Robb's crown. Hmmmm

You remember incorrectly. Cat mentions Arya as an alternative to Jon, but Robb says she is dead too.

I know this, because I just now re-read the chapter. Something else to add, Cat does feel she is being punished (by being sent away) for opposing Robb on the matter of Jon, which is probably a hit against the theory that she was named heir, BUT the fact she is being sent away (and specifically somewhere other than where his potentially pregnant wife is) could be seen as him being cautious wih his heir.

Don't the Northern Lords owe her fealty rather than to slimy Roose Bolton?

No. She is/was a Consort, consorts have no claims on their husband's castle and lands, their children have.

You remember incorrectly. Cat mentions Arya as an alternative to Jon, but Robb says she is dead too.

I know this, because I just now re-read the chapter. Something else to add, Cat does feel she is being punished (by being sent away) for opposing Robb on the matter of Jon, which is probably a hit against the theory that she was named heir, BUT the fact she is being sent away (and specifically somewhere other than where his potentially pregnant wife is) could be seen as him being cautious wih his heir.

Not this again. It makes less logic than the ants theory.

http://asoiaf.wester...-awoiaf-app-v2/

Jon was named as Robb's heir

I have a question, since Robb actually legitimized Jon and named him his heir for Winterfell and the North before the Red Wedding (granted no one knows about this and is still alive or free, the Greatjon knows as does Edmure, but Idont see them getting out of the Twins any time soon and Catelyn would probably die before telling anyone) does this make Jon's rejection of Stannis' offer moot?

Edmure and the Greatjon are prisoners, true... but you are forgetting the envoys that Robb sent to Howland Reed... Galbart Glover, Maege Mormont, Jason Mallister... they are all alive and free.

As to what is and is not moot... the key point is, only a =king= can legitimize a bastard......

Steofdissipation and Rhaenys stated the two traps better than i could.

The "trap" was that Catelyn was send to Seaguard, not being allowed to go with Robb. Cat was send to another castle, away from her last child, away from every home she's known, alone. She had not expected it, and given the situation, she could not refuse it.

Robb had Cat present when he called his lords to fix their seals... she could neither oppose him openly nor deny the finality of the decision... a trap.

Cat said she would not support Robb in his folly of naming Jon as heir... and he made her do exactly that.

Another huge thing to consider is that Robb wanted an heir with Stark blood''cough''Jon and no lord would support Catelyn after she freed Jaime.The best comment she got''was women no nothing better''.

It's in the TEXT

Robb-I want Jon to succeed me

Catelyn-I cannot support you

Robb-I can do whatever i wish,i am a king

Robb I want you to fix your seals to my decree naming my heir..

a king indeed thought Cat defeated..

http://asoiaf.wester...-awoiaf-app-v2/

Jon was named as Robb's heir

I have a question, since Robb actually legitimized Jon and named him his heir for Winterfell and the North before the Red Wedding (granted no one knows about this and is still alive or free, the Greatjon knows as does Edmure, but Idont see them getting out of the Twins any time soon and Catelyn would probably die before telling anyone) does this make Jon's rejection of Stannis' offer moot?

Edmure and the Greatjon are prisoners, true... but you are forgetting the envoys that Robb sent to Howland Reed... Galbart Glover, Maege Mormont, Jason Mallister... they are all alive and free.

As to what is and is not moot... the key point is, only a =king= can legitimize a bastard......

Steofdissipation and Rhaenys stated the two traps better than i could.

The "trap" was that Catelyn was send to Seaguard, not being allowed to go with Robb. Cat was send to another castle, away from her last child, away from every home she's known, alone. She had not expected it, and given the situation, she could not refuse it.

Robb had Cat present when he called his lords to fix their seals... she could neither oppose him openly nor deny the finality of the decision... a trap.

Cat said she would not support Robb in his folly of naming Jon as heir... and he made her do exactly that.

Another huge thing to consider is that Robb wanted an heir with Stark blood''cough''Jon and no lord would support Catelyn after she freed Jaime.The best comment she got''was women no nothing better''.

It's in the TEXT

Robb-I want Jon to succed me

Catelyn-I cannot support you

Robb-I can do whatever i wish,i am a king

Robb I want you to fix your seals to my decree naming my heir..

a king indeed thought Cat defeated..

That's what I was thinking. She still might be trying to find Arya to crown her instead of Jon, but I think her main goal is to exact vengeance and find her missing child.

And it's an idiotic theory.

A middle-aged woman without children? Disaster waiting to happen at best. Not having a claim herself? Worse.

Archived