Just a random thought...

Vespa

I strongly believe in L+R=J theory, but this just stroke me suddenly while I was re-posting in another thread: what would Ned do if babe Jon had typical Targ traits, like silvery hair plus purple eyes and there would be no way to pretend he was his own?

With obvious Targ look?

The Targs aren't the only ones with the "targ look", so to speak. Ashara and Edric have purple eyes, and Edric is blonde, and they aren't Valyrian (although they probably share a common ancestor).

Remember too that people often see and find what they are looking for. If Jon had been born looking pretty much like Rhaegar, many people still would assume he's son of Ashara Dayne, as the blonde hair and the purple eyes run in her family, because him being bastard of Ashara and Ned is more likely than Jon being the secret son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Just look at all the times Arya has seen Robert and how he's unable to realise Gendry is his son. It's because she doesn't have a clue that he could be a bastard. Yet, Brienne immediately recognised him, due to her being infatuated with Renly. If people had wanted to see Ashara in Jon, they would have seen exactly that.

Hey, Cersei has three children with the obvious Lannister looks, yet no one questions their Baratheon parentage. And Robb, Sansa, Bran and Rickon show that Stark isn't always the dominant fenotype.

True, but Targ traits were far more distinctive and unusual (almost alien, IMHO)

Remember too that people often see and find what they are looking for. If Jon had been born looking pretty much like Rhaegar, many people still would assume he's son of Ashara Dayne, as the blonde hair and the purple eyes run in her family, because him being bastard of Ashara and Ned is more likely than Jon being the secret son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Just look at all the times Arya has seen Robert and how he's unable to realise Gendry is his son. It's because she doesn't have a clue that he could be a bastard. Yet, Brienne immediately recognised him, due to her being infatuated with Renly. If people had wanted to see Ashara in Jon, they would have seen exactly that.

Perhaps you're right.

BTW how convenient that Jon looked like typical Stark and that spared Ned all the fuss ;)

I am not sure that Ned was use Ashara's name like that if it had come to it. He was willing to soil his own name, but would probably hesitate to soil her name as a highborn lady (although he did it to Wylla but only with Robert who would have been harder to fool as they were supposedly fighting together around the time that Jon was conceived).

We know the Daynes have purple eyes, and someone pointed out Edric has blond hair, but is it golden blond like a Lannister or silver blond like a Targ? Unless there are silver-haired Daynes, just letting people think Ashara is the mother might not work

I think if Ned brought a Targ-looking baby home, people would have put it together. And I think Robert would have found out and assumed it was Rhaegar's son. The question then would be does Ned name the kid Robert and swear that Lyanna made him promise Robert would be in her son's life, thus playing on the new king's love of the baby's mother? Or does he take the chance that claiming Ashara is the mother will save little Rhae Rhae Jr? Third option of course being to spirit the baby (and probably Benjen) out of Westeros and face whatever punishment Robert names for the "treason" he would call it.

I strongly believe in L+R=J theory, but this just stroke me suddenly while I was re-posting in another thread: what would Ned do if babe Jon had typical Targ traits, like silvery hair plus purple eyes and there would be no way to pretend he was his own?

I thought about this a lot too. I keep trying to find a quote with a description of Rhaegar because I don't remember one. Was he a typical Targaryen with the purple eyes and silver hair?

I thought about this a lot too. I keep trying to find a quote with a description of Rhaegar because I don't remember one. Was he a typical Targaryen with the purple eyes and silver hair?

Prince Rhaegar was tall and handsome, having dark indigo eyes and the silver hair of the Targaryens, worn long. Many say that Rhaegar was beautiful.

Per the Wiki page...it gives reference to TWoW Chapter, Arianne.

Archived