Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

Season 5 will certainly be a challenge. AFFC is not adaptable to screen as GRRM wrote it. ADWD is slightly better but still a huge letdown compared to ASOS. I haven't read most spoilers, but from what I know of it so far it seems like D&D are doing a great job of weaving everything together.

Personally, I am a huge fan of their work and don't understand the backlash. Most of the stuff they have added to the show has been an improvement over the books.

Since I love AFFC and ADWD (DWD is actually my second favorite book in the series) season 5 has a good chance to be my favorite season. "Fingers crossed."

Neither were my favorite, but I think D&D can vastly improve on them and make this season great. I'm really curious to see how they handle more freedom than they've had in the past 4 seasons.

1. Season 1 - Nothing can top that first season. The war coming to fruition. All these stories that start unfolding. Sean Bean was amazing as Eddark and Mark Addy was perfect as Robert Baratheon. The only thing I didn't like about Season 1 was that Charles Dance did not appear yet.

2. Season 4 - There were some big events that happened in this season. And one in particular was very satisfying to see.(*cough*Joffrey*cough*)

3. Season 3 - Season 3 was not a bad season. The Red Wedding was the best part. Those scenes were heartbreaking.

4. Season 2- Season 2 is not a bad season. Blackwater is the best part. Charles Dance being introduced as the head of the Lannisters was good. Charles Dance did Tywin better than any could.

Anybody plan on binge marathon before Season 5? I've only seen each As Season once, so I'm really looking forward to watching them again.

I literally just finished re-watching all the seasons today but I'll probably watch them again before S5 starts.

I do that for all my shows and GoT is no different

1. Season 1: Ranking this season first can often give way to simple "the show was ruined as the writers strayed from the book" complaints, and while I generally think the show is stronger when it follows the text as much as possible, I don't think the reasoning behind Season 1 being in first place can be that simple. One has to acknowledge that AGOT is, by far, the book most suited to a TV adaptation, and therefore the book where it's easiest for the writers to follow the text in the first place. It has (by far) the smallest cast, the fewest plot strands, the greatest degree of interconnectivity between the various plots, and the fewest settings. As the number of characters and plots balloons, and interconnectivity decreases, all the while the size of the books themselves go up, inherently more changes were going to have to be made going forward. Not that I agree with all the changes, or with many things they've done since that aren't budget-related, but it's not merely a case of the writers following the books less in subsequent years. The main knock against the first season is that it's noticeably cheaper-looking than subsequent years, when the show got way more money, but that can't be helped.

2. Season 4: I have some real problems with this season, but I think it's the most consistent season since the first one (Season 3 had a number of plots that I thought worked better than anything this year, like Jaime and Brienne's journey, but also a number of plots that were way worse than anything in this season).

3. Season 3: Like I said above, some great stuff (Jaime/Brienne, especially, comes to mind), some stuff that I really don't like (Sansa, Theon, Bran's go-nowhere story -- though on that last one, that's pretty much GRRM's fault).

4. Season 2: "Blackwater" is still the show's best episode, and, more generally, Tyrion's storyline this year is so good that it almost manages to carry the show (alongside Theon's plotline, up until the muddled ending). But against this you have Dany, Jon, the Robb/Talisa nonsense, the beginning of the ruination of Catelyn's character/plot, a Sansa arc that is good scene-to-scene but thanks to the changes adds up to nothing (but would still be better than what we got the following year), etc.

Anybody plan on binge marathon before Season 5? I've only seen each As Season once, so I'm really looking forward to watching them again.

HBO ran a marathon before season 4 began this year...I imagine they will do the same next year.

Anybody plan on binge marathon before Season 5? I've only seen each Season once, so I'm really looking forward to watching them again.

Not a "plan" per se, but definitely considering it.

Archived