Would Robert really have killed Jon?

Ser Wilfred

If the 'truth' about Jon's parentage came out while Robert was alive, do you think he really would have killed him?
I really don't think he would have done it, or even been able to order someone else to do it. He says he hated Targaryens with a passion, but if he found the son of the woman he loved, even if the dad is a Targ, I think Robert would have let him live out his days in Winterfell/at the Wall, with Ned closely watching him.

I don't think he would have killed him. That said, I don't think he would have been nice to Jon about it either: he would have made sure Jon and Ned knew he wasn't going to have anything to do with the IT, would have kept him as far from KL as possible under supervision to make sure he didn't get any ideas, and possibly even find a way to stop him from rising to LC - any position of power could be a threat (assuming Robert doesn't die). But he wouldn't have killed Jon, I think.

That said, I can't see him being happy with Rhaegar-spawn running around doing as he pleases. Perhaps he would have let him survive for the love he bore Lyanna, and Ned, as long as Jon was raised very much as a Stark and not as a Targaryen.

If he justifies their affair as "kidnapping" then surely he would justify jon as a product of rape and therefore not blame the child.

Not only that, but it would be the child of the woman he loved, and the nephew of his best friend/ "brother"

I don't think he would hurt the child

that being said, as someone posted earlier, ned knew him best and still kept it a secret, although there could be more to the reasoning that we don't know yet.

I think "I see no babes, only Dragonspawn" tells you all you need to know.

Besides, Robert would never have accepted that Lyanna went willingly with Rhaegar, so he would see Jon as the product of Rape, and thus not really "Lyannas son", but rather A reminder of the evil Rhaegar did.

I think Ned made the right call on this one.

I think he would have tried to justify it to himself that because Jon was a product of rape and a Targ, it's what he should do. Plus his rage would probably get the better of him. He wasn't disgusted when Aegon and Rhaneys were presented to them, and they were only children. Keeping them as hostages wasn't a good enough fate for them. I mean he really hated Rhagaer, and the fact that Rhagaer got to have Lyanna when he never did or could, and made a kid with her. He'd hate that.

I think Ned definitely made the right call, Robert being a bit unpredictable in a rage. He definitely would have snapped at Ned.

Robert seems 'glad' that the Mountain took care of Rhaegar's kids, but thats an easy enough sentiment once the dirty deed is done. If Robert had been the one at Kings Landing instead of Tywin...?

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. Lyanna might have feared he would and made Ned promise to keep Jon's identity hidden no matter what Ned thought likely, and Ned's faith in Robert was shaken by Robert's approval of the murder of Rhaenys and Aegon.

And even if Robert would mean little Jon no harm, someone else might attack him to prove he's anti-Targaryen, or some Targaryen-supporter might try to bring him on the throne and start a war and endanger Jon.

But let's say for example the likelyhood that noone is trying to kill Rhaegar's bastard is 95%. Then there still would be a 5% that someone would try to kill Jon. Now, 5% isn't much, but I don't think Ned would want to risk even that when it is his nephew's life at stake.

He would have killed Jon and there is absolutely nothing in favor of saying that he would have been merciful. Robert is just a moral coward who is not above killing children, as long as he maintains the image of himself as a hero. Someone else would have to do it, but the fact remains: Robert would have killed him.

Robert could not have done it. Jon looked like a Stark and therefore looked like Lyanna and he loved Ned as his brother. Had Jon looked like Aegon (faegon I think), he would have no problem with it. Jon taking the black would be acceptable to Robert. If Tywin Lannister and or Cersei found out about Jon's parentage, they were/are the bigger threat to Jon's safety.

He would have killed Jon and there is absolutely nothing in favor of saying that he would have been merciful. Robert is just a moral coward who is not above killing children, as long as he maintains the image of himself as a hero. Someone else would have to do it, but the fact remains: Robert would have killed him.

Are you implying that he killed Rheagar's kids? Tywin did that. As far as Dany' and Drogo's baby is concerned, he knew that Dany was married to Drogo for an army that was to come and kill him as they considered Robert a userper. that was albeit very, very pre-emptive, somewhat practical from a certain point of view, besides, everyone knows what the Dothraki do to women and children of the vanquished.

Robert could not have done it. Jon looked like a Stark and therefore looked like Lyanna and he loved Ned as his brother. Had Jon looked like Aegon (faegon I think), he would have no problem with it. Jon taking the black would be acceptable to Robert. If Tywin Lannister and or Cersei found out about Jon's parentage, they were/are the bigger threat to Jon's safety.

I don't know if Tywin and Cersei would have killed Jon so many years later, as long as Jon would keep silence. They didn't try to kill Dany or Viserys. I don't think they still considered them as a threat.

Agree with this.

Archived