What kind of architecture do you consider gaudy/vulgar ?

Gneisenau

For example, some colleagues considered the Florida Versailles to be gaudy and vulgar, but I quite like baroque architecture (at least on the exterior), and assuming the Florida Versailles ends up looking like the one in the Parisian suberbs, I don't think it is gaudy or vulgar. Do you think Versailles is gaudy ? What kind of building/architecture; style do you consider vulgar ?

I can't stand the upper middle class cookie cutter giant colonial soulless houses where the houses are built with the maximum insane amount of space.for the dollar even though the actual house is poorly built out of cheap materials that will be Crap in yen years even though you paid a quarter to a half million for an ugly piece of junk house was one of 3 floor plans approved of by the HOA and no basketball hoops are allowed and all the chimneys are fake zero clearance vinyl sided chases with fake stone work and sprayed-on hydroseeded lawns.

Also raised ranches and stuccoed Mediterranean shit in the NorthEast US.

Tough to top this

Admittedly it's not so much the architecture....

Wow! Is that a big leather cover glued to the exterior. This even beats Ghetto Fab. I'm surprised the neighbor's haven't sued them.

I've also seen Spanish tile roofs in NYC; ridiculous.

In terms of furniture I don't like the medieval-style chairs, tables, and couches that are big and bulky. So tacky.

I really hate out-of-scale mansions with out-of-context architecture. Like this. This is the Fountain family house in Halifax. Between the pink and the weirdly arrayed columns, I've never been sure whether it belongs in Palm Beach or whether they're going for something like Dalvay-by-the-Sea in PEI.

It's all gaudy and vulgar. If I had it my way people would live in watery caves as god intended.

The rock and pool,

is nice and cool,

so juicy sweet.

Our only wish,

to catch a fish,

so juicy sweet!

I think anything bigger than you really need (like, if you're a couple but have a 100 room palace) is just vulgar. I dislike spending excessive amounts on unnecessary things. But that's just me :dunno: I'm a fairly moderate spender myself. I'll spend on the necessities but will treat myself from time to time.

Ugh. It's perpendicular repetitiveness is practically wallpaper treatment. Angel choir of Lincoln it ain't.

Well of course it isn't!

it was built in the 1800's and for a large 'office' building I am happy that they chose gothic as the architectural style.

Archived