Jon and theon's relationship

ToTheWolves

I'm pretty sure it was probably lightly touched on in the books, but I can't really exactly recall, but do any of you guys have any insight or thoughts on how jon and Theon's relationship probably was growing up? Or do you think they just didn't intetact that much?

I think Theon just gave Robb all of the attention and that, plus being a bastard, was enough for Jon to not care for him. That probably created a self-fulfilling prophecy in Jon's mind, and anything Theon did just irked him.

Theon does recount in DwD that he, Robb, Jon, and Jory would practice in the yard. They probably interacted on most days, but it was just more formal than Robb/Theon.

from what i remember there wasnt a lot of interaction with the two but they didnt seem to like each other. dont really remember anything sparking their dislike specifically. they were both in kind of the same situation so i got the impression they were more like rivals.

theon was older than jon but all they both wanted was to fit in with the starks. to me, it seemed like more of a rivalry for robbs attention. i could be completely wrong here but i got the impression that theon was actually closer with robb than jon was. the main difference though was robb still seemed to view jon as more of a brother yet he reminded theon a couple times that he wasnt a stark at all.

theon saw himself as a prince and jon as a bastard. jon saw himself as still half stark and theon as basically a prisoner of war from a struggling family. they each felt like they were above the other.

probably more than anything though, they just had two very different personalities. theon was always smiling and arrogant where jon was more quiet and kind of angry.

from what i remember there wasnt a lot of interaction with the two but they didnt seem to like each other. dont really remember anything sparking their dislike specifically. they were both in kind of the same situation so i got the impression they were more like rivals.

theon was older than jon but all they both wanted was to fit in with the starks. to me, it seemed like more of a rivalry for robbs attention. i could be completely wrong here but i got the impression that theon was actually closer with robb than jon was. the main difference though was robb still seemed to view jon as more of a brother yet he reminded theon a couple times that he wasnt a stark at all.

Yeah, from Robb's POV, the relationship with Theon was a lot less complicated/loaded with implications. He's the somewhat older sarcastic anti-establishment kid. If he beats you in a bout, no biggie, he's older and should win most of the time anyways. If you bitch about your parents or sisters, there's no chance it comes back on you, and in fact jokes probably answer. So, basically, Theon and being Theon's friend are 'cool'.

Whereas with Jon it's a minefield. Always worrying if you're going to upset Jon or your mother by getting along with the other, always being measured against one another without enough age gap to explain it, seeing your father's image looking back at you far more than any mirror, and the whole 'bastard/claim' un-conversation.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jon felt like the 5th wheel with Robb, whereas Theon felt the outsider when Ned was around, and everything in between was a mixture ( other than generally bad reviews all around from Cat)

Their relationship seemed rather cool and distant, and they were probably mostly indifferent to eachother, with Robb being their foremost connection. Aside from their issues regarding their precieved status in the Stark household: Jon disliked Theon being an ass, Theon disliked Jon being so close to Robb - but I do not think there were that much open animosity. They sparred with eachother and such but it was probably all business and no joviality.

"An albino," Theon Greyjoy said with wry amusement. "This one will die even faster than the others."

This is Bran's POV, not Jon's, so even Bran at six noticed the "wry amusement" with which Theon said those words.

At the welcome feast during Robert's visit when Jon is sitting on the bench while Theon is taking part in the procession.

Theon ignored him utterly, but there was nothing new in that.

When Jon hears of the destruction of Winterfell:

Jon had never liked Theon Greyjoy, but he had been their father's ward. ... They can't be dead. Theon would never do that.

Later, during the siege of Castle Black, Jon remembers Theon's skills at archery.

It seems they never liked each other, but to Jon Theon was still "part of the pack", irregular as he was (as, in fact, both of them were). It happens that you don't like someone but you are still aware of belonging to the same community, so you expect that you would join forces against outsiders, and that seems to be reflected in Jon's thoughts about Theon before and during the siege of Castle Black.

They both disliked one another because they were jealous of each other...but both really wanted the same thing: to be a Stark.

I think this sums up Theon's feelings about Jon the best:

"Theon shivered. Baratheon or Bolton, it made no matter to him. Stannis had made common cause with Jon Snow at the Wall, and Jon would take his head off in a heartbeat. Plucked from the clutches of one bastard to die at the hands of another, what a jape. Theon would have laughed aloud if he’d remembered how."

Archived