Summer, Bran, or Bloodraven?

Poppa Chase

Who do you think saved Cat and Bran from the assassin? Was it summer acting under wolf protective instincts? Was it comatose Bran having a wolf dream? Or was it the messenger Bloodraven ripping the throat out of the man who would have ruined his plan?

I'm sure the text will never answer it but let's speculate.

The connection between direwolf & Stark. Each of the Stark children have a solid connection with their direwolf...there maybe some warging connection that strengthens this...but I don't think BR had much to do with it...or he has everything to do with it...or not...HODOR!!

My first thought when I read it (after having been spoiled by the show and wiki) was that Bloodraven sent the mother wolf and killed her on a stag. Then he protected them via the pups until their warg ability took over. Meaning that he killed that guy as summer and then forced bran to wake up to protect himself and come to him. Also the wolf was barking the entire time Bran was climbing before he was injured. I think that was Bloodraven trying to warn him.

But after reading all the books, I feel like Bran did it. Arya wargs into Nymeria for important events, rescuing cat, killing the bloody mummers that chased her. I think that bran did this in a coma, and like the events before the fall, he can't remember doing it. Plus at the time he wouldn't have known what it meant.

It's a good shout.
I'm happy that Summer did exactly what a protector is suppose to do and saved them on its own volition. It's almost the whole point in the Starks having Direwolves. Whether BR sent them, controls them or prompted the wolf to rescue them is kind of by-the-by really. In fact, it's very likely that the mother was sent to WF so the Stark kids had some kind of protection from the plotting and scheming of Southren 'players'. Personally, I'd prefer it if that was the extent of BRs involvement regarding the wolves. Otherwise, we'll end up with more plot holes than we can manage.

It's entirely possible that it was BL and he and Summer got there a tad bit late. We have seen the Wolves get hostile toward people, who they perceive to be threats to the Stark kids. Greywind certainly tried to warn Robb, when they showed up at the Twins. Both instances could have been BL or it may just be the wolves natural instincts and they are not you're typical Direwolves. Either way and in Bran's scene; had it not been for Cat also, he would be dead. So let's give her some credit too.

This was before Bran had his third eye opened by the crow so at this point he was not warging into anything.

If you're having a nightmare where you are a wolf and your mother is being attacked by a man, you rip the man's throat out. I don't remember Bloodraven opening Arya's third eye, but she killed some sell swords and saved her mother's corpse. While he was in a coma, he was probably in summer the entire time. Imo.

I think that the third eye serves the "flying" (green-sight?), not the warging part. For Starks warging is part of family traditions, is more like an instict, BR teaches Bran something else, more powerfull, darker. The opening of the third eye led Bran to see the world far and wide, to glimpse at the storm gathering before his mother, to spy the dragons stirring in the east, to stare at whatever it is far in the North.

Bran bounding with Summer in the past days and BR probably warging a stag to kill the direwolf morther obviously played a great role in Bran's survival, but these are not direct causes. Summer and Catelyn saved him.

Archived