Why Don't More People Wear Wigs?

Weeping Sore

Most people take the long, arduous process of growing out their hair to change the look of their tresses, perhaps dying or bleaching to make a change. Then you've got all that crazy washing and conditioning to do. Why not just collect wigs? Your hair can look totally different every day (or night) of the week. What's holding everybody back? Let's be wig-positive! Who's with me?

As a wig manufacturer, I approve of this message.

Also it's not a wig so much as actual human hair.

And not so much manufacturing as harvesting.

Yay wigs!

Are you the one who's been standing over me as I lie in bed at night poised with scissors and a burlap sack?

Not unless your bed is in my basement. And it isn't, I don't allow them beds down there, it ruins the hair.

How are you systematizing your inventory of hair? Each strand hanging from individual clothespins, or just a huge, swirling nest for you to burrow in for warmth?

Two reasons. First, I don't want to change my hair style/length/color on a day to day basis. Second, I prefer that everything people see, is actually me.

But if you dye your hair, is that "actually" your own hair? They're seeing brown, its really red or whatever - what they see is not hardcore you. As to your first objection, you could buy a wig for every day! Endless variety of style, length and color, more than enough to suit your needs. Buy wig today!

Two reasons. First, I don't want to change my hair style/length/color on a day to day basis. Second, I prefer that everything people see, is actually me.

It seems like there was something of a wig craze for women from the late 50s to early 70s. I'm not sure why we should see it as fundamentally different than any other type of apparel or ornament. That is, if you're not a full-on naturist (i.e., nudist) I don't why it's objectionable. Other than, you know, you like your real hair.

ETA: Though I can see a difference between a wig that is obviously artificial and one that could plausibly be the wearer's real head of hair, as the latter could be read as some kind of deception.

Just as you might compliment someone on a well-selected shirt or skirt, you could compliment them on a well-chosen, fashionable wig. Why should the protein strings anchored in the scalp's living follicles be so privileged in our esteem?

Wigs are not just for gals, either. Now the guys can experience the excitement of the wig! Wigs for everybody! Do you have parents? Of course you do! Get them some wigs, that'll make them happy even though you're a bit of a disappointment to them. I mean, they know about wigs: if you don't get them wigs, they'll be even more disappointed. What, do you just not love your parents?

Wigs are not just for gals, either. Now the guys can experience the excitement of the wig! Wigs for everybody! Do you have parents? Of course you do! Get them some wigs, that'll make them happy even though you're a bit of a disappointment to them. I mean, they know about wigs: if you don't get them wigs, they'll be even more disappointed. What, do you just not love your parents?

Aren't you forgetting the link to your kickstarter?

Aren't you forgetting the link to your kickstarter?

Sorry, I was distracted. There was a ... knock at the door? so I had to go and... pay them money, or whatever. That happens, right? Ha ha, I am totally a normal wig maker and my inventory is growing daily!

Agreed wigs are quite uncomfortable, and if you have long, thick hair arranging it under a wig so there are no bumps can be time consuming, different textures require different techniques. I think a wash n go is less time consuming and less effort.

Archived