If Jon were offered the Iron Throne...

Salafi Stannis

I know a lot of people say he wouldn't take the IT out of honour and his vows, but it could be the only way to stop the Others, with the full resources of the Realm and the Crown focused on defeating the them. But then again, even if he is King, what's to say anybody believes him? People might see him as a green young boy who's gone mad. And even in the face of overwhelming evidence, which Jon doesn't have, people may still close their eyes because they won't want to believe it. The only ironclad evidence he can provide is seeing Others, and it's not like he can invite the entire Small Council and every lord who matters to a nice stroll out into the Lands of Always Winter so they can see some first hand. And schemers at court could see him as a green boy who they can bend to their will and ignore his warnings etc.

"Thanks for the offer that would allow me to have all the resources we need in order to defeat the Others and their army of wights and save the world, but I have to decline as I have made vows. And my brothers here agree with me"

"Yeah, definitely. He swore a vow and if he tries to leave us for a chance to actually do and have something that would benefit the Watch and its main mission, we will kill him. Like, who the hell he thinks he is? The answer to our prayers?!"

:dunno:

I believe he would take it if he had to, but i think he secretly wants power more than he will admit. power to do good but power none the less

Almost everyone wants power to do good. Hitler, Stalin, Dubya, whoever. Almost no one plays the bad guy in their own movie.

I believe he would take it if he had to, but i think he secretly wants power more than he will admit. power to do good but power none the less

Oh, I think it's clear he wants power. He wants Winterfell. But he didn't like what taking Winterfell entailed. The betrayal of his vows, the betrayal of his gods. I don't think what a character wants is nearly as important as what they pursue. And so far, Jon hasn't pursued power, except when it would benefit the Night's Watch in his eyes.

I don't think Jon will see becoming King as a prize, but after he is instrumental in winning the War for the Dawn, and the other potential candidates are all dead, a GC just might absolve Jon of any vows he might have to NW (assuming NW even exists at that point--which is not clear it will), and Jon would take the title out of duty to the realm. While the fact that Jon is Rhaegar's son might be relevant to why Jon is considered to be a potentially acceptable candidate--it will not be the principal reason he is chosen as king--his actions in the war will be (and the death of anyone else potentially acceptable). Alternatively, there won't be a kingdom in the end. But if there is--Jon is the only plausible candidate to become king--and his vows will not be an issue given the power of a GC to void any vows.

You know what gets the realm united? Impending mass destruction. You get organised in the face of that!

Unfortunately often untrue.

See the Mongols vs. anyone. Or the Romans. Or the Nazis. Divide and conquer is the rule; people can look to their own agendas in the face of almost anything.

Sometimes it unites, often after-the-fact...but at least as often people continue being people.

I sadly think Sandberg's observation is more accurate:

"Isn't that an iceberg on the horizon, Captain?"

"Yes, Madam."

"What if we get in a collision with it?"

"The iceberg, Madam, will move right along as though nothing had happened."

-Carl Sandburg, The People, Yes

You don't need Jon snow.

Dany could do that.

I'd rather see Davos as king over all, if there has to be a king, than either Jon or Dany. My first choice would be to have the person who accepts the position destroy the throne and find a better way of arranging things.

"Thanks for the offer that would allow me to have all the resources we need in order to defeat the Others and their army of wights and save the world, but I have to decline as I have made vows. And my brothers here agree with me"

"Yeah, definitely. He swore a vow and if he tries to leave us for a chance to actually do and have something that would benefit the Watch and its main mission, we will kill him. Like, who the hell he thinks he is? The answer to our prayers?!"

:dunno:

You know what gets the realm united? Impending mass destruction. You get organised in the face of that!

I know a lot of people say he wouldn't take the IT out of honour and his vows, but it could be the only way to stop the Others, with the full resources of the Realm and the Crown focused on defeating the them. But then again, even if he is King, what's to say anybody believes him? People might see him as a green young boy who's gone mad. And even in the face of overwhelming evidence, which Jon doesn't have, people may still close their eyes because they won't want to believe it. The only ironclad evidence he can provide is seeing Others, and it's not like he can invite the entire Small Council and every lord who matters to a nice stroll out into the Lands of Always Winter so they can see some first hand. And schemers at court could see him as a green boy who they can bend to their will and ignore his warnings etc.

How is Jon Snow getting to the throne past Aegon/Dany/Stannis/Tommen/Myrcella, uniting the Seven Kingdoms, and defeating the Others, all in the course of two books?

Sounds more reasonable than Dany landing in Westeros, forging allies with people she never met(and her father likely threatened), waging a second dance of dragons war with Aegon, and fighting the others over 1 book(we know via GRRM late WoW is the earliest she arrives).

Don't even get me started on the impracticalities of bringing 100k cavalry across the narrow sea, like many Dany fans believe. To keep is short, not even the mongols could pull that off on a much smaller scale.

As for Stannis/Tommen/Myrcella are living on borrowed time via prophecies and magic drain from too many shadow babies.

Archived