U.S. High School Shooting near Seattle, Washington

TerraPrime

Such a stupid stupid tragedy. Shooter was apparently mad that a girl he liked wouldn't date him. He was a member of the football team (though recently suspended) and had just been voted Homecoming prince.

Sounds like he was just a little shithead who didn't know how to deal with the basic feelings most teenager have.

Could have. He could have, maybe. Not allowing guns into the homes of mentally ill people also could have prevented Sandy Hook. Could have. Maybe.

I think the parents from Sandy Hook would take a could have about now. The guns in mentally ill hands issue will never be solved. You can make it harder for them to legally own a gun or rifle, but there are other ways to get guns obviously.

I think the parents from Sandy Hook would take a could have about now. The guns in mentally ill hands issue will never be solved. You can make it harder for them to legally own a gun or rifle, but there are other ways to get guns obviously.

Good thing we don't let emotional victims make policy then. The parents in this situation are the least qualified to make decisions.

Do you not see the fallacy? "The parents would take a could have about now. But only mine, not yours."

As someone pointed out earlier, the idiot kid here just stood up and shot the kids closest to him point blank in the heads. Assuming a cop was also in the cafeteria at that moment, what could he have done to stop this?

Good thing we don't let emotional victims make policy then. The parents in this situation are the least qualified to make decisions.

Didn't even remotely suggest the victims of Sandy Hook be allowed to make any policy changes. I SAID I'm sure the parents would have welcomed some chance of their children being saved. Because, you know, the poster I was replying to said it might have saved them. Maybe. Good job on reading. I think it's also good that people who can't read aren't allowed to make policy choices either.

Didn't even remotely suggest the victims of Sandy Hook be allowed to make any policy changes. I SAID I'm sure the parents would have welcomed some chance of their children being saved. Because, you know, the poster I was replying to said it might have saved them. Maybe. Good job on reading. I think it's also good that people who can't read aren't allowed to make policy choices either.

Then there was no point bringing it up than was there?

How does this happen.

An angry, confused, and dissociative young man got the idea that the only way he could ever leave a mark in society is to commit atrocities because he couldn't believe that other people would want to pay attention to him otherwise, would be my guess. But we will see what the investigation reveals.

I am never, ever again going to say in a thread that we haven't had a shooter in a long time. :(

An angry, confused, and dissociative young man got the idea that the only way he could ever leave a mark in society is to commit atrocities because he couldn't believe that other people would want to pay attention to him otherwise, would be my guess.

There's a lot of that going around. :( :( My thoughts are with the families.

An angry, confused, and dissociative young man got the idea that the only way he could ever leave a mark in society is to commit atrocities because he couldn't believe that other people would want to pay attention to him otherwise, would be my guess. But we will see what the investigation reveals.

Obviously one has to wait for the full investigation, but given what's come out about the shooter so far I doubt if he did this because he "thought it was the only way he could ever leave a mark on society." If the reports describing him as being generally well-liked and pleasant are true, that plus the fact that two of the other boys he shot were his own cousins and that he was specifically mad about a girl who refused to date him seem to put him more in the category of "extended domestic violence" rather than being a Columbine-like situation.

High School relationships are taken way too seriously, and encouraged far too much. I get that parents don't want their kids sleeping around and being promiscuous, but this level of emotional commitment can be too much for teenagers IMO

This also shows that the parents are not necessarily to blame. I hid all sorts of shit from my parents in HS - I could have planned a massacre and they would not have had a clue. Short of finding their kids's diary and discovering their intentions, there's only so much a parent can do. Even when there were prior incidents with the law, like in this case, the odds that your kid is gonna go postal are so low that very few would take it seriously. And even if they broach the subject i.e. "are you planning on doing anything serious?" the kid will just say "no, that's ridiculous."

The security-fetishism is understandable, Jslay, but it's also short-sighted and wouldn't change much. The problem isn't bad enough that cops and metal detectors should be posted in the hallways of every school, or to justify any new gun laws.

Yea sure. Or you could just install detectors. But perhaps your partial to cavity searches due to your experience with such.

Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I was being sarcastic-- I think implementing stuff like searches.or metal detectors is mostly symbolic. It only 'works' till the next guy comes along with a gun and goes in through the kitchen or a window,.etc.

If you want to make schools 100% safe, design them like prisons, because thats what it would take. So I'm not sure finding a middle ground there helps much.

Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I was being sarcastic-- I think implementing stuff like searches.or metal detectors is mostly symbolic. It only 'works' till the next guy comes along with a gun and goes in through the kitchen or a window,.etc.

If you want to make schools 100% safe, design them like prisons, because thats what it would take. So I'm not sure finding a middle ground there helps much.

Or just shoot up the security checkpoint.

Or just shoot up the security checkpoint.

I don't buy this last argument. The security checkpoint is surely going to be a somewhat harder target, being better prepared for such incidents, than the cafateria or a classroom. Especially if you have armed guards at the checkpoint.

In a classroom the guy can go on a rampage killing 20 or more people. At a security checkpoint he will likely not get nearly that far.

So it is not about eliminating risk altogether. It is about mitigating it as much as possible, making it more difficult for potential rampagers to achieve their goals.

Any reports yet on what type of gun he used and where he sourced it from? First reports suggested 6 shots fired only, which might suggest a 6 shot revolver. Unless he was only focussed on the small group of victims known to him.

A Beretta handgun, from his dad.

They also found his Twitter account, just so all the internet pseudo psychologists can analyse his character (warning, if you go back far enough there's a really gross picture)

I don't buy this last argument. The security checkpoint is surely going to be a somewhat harder target, being better prepared for such incidents, than the cafateria or a classroom. Especially if you have armed guards at the checkpoint.

In a classroom the guy can go on a rampage killing 20 or more people. At a security checkpoint he will likely not get nearly that far.

So it is not about eliminating risk altogether. It is about mitigating it as much as possible, making it more difficult for potential rampagers to achieve their goals.

Now that you mention it, they should have to go through the full-body scanner and take their shoes off in case they have bombs! Now that I think about it, pencils are dangerous too, gotta go. The internet could give dangerous thoughts to the students, their access must be limited... But we can't ensure they won't be influenced outside of school, so as soon as they go through this gauntlet of security, they should not be allowed to leave, for their own security of course.

Don't forget to install the cops at every school, you know, the cops that are in the news every other month for indiscriminately murdering citizens.

Now that you mention it, they should have to go through the full-body scanner and take their shoes off in case they have bombs! Now that I think about it, pencils are dangerous too, gotta go. The internet could give dangerous thoughts to the students, their access must be limited... But we can't ensure they won't be influenced outside of school, so as soon as they go through this gauntlet of security, they should not be allowed to leave, for their own security of course.

Don't forget to install the cops at every school, you know, the cops that are in the news every other month for indiscriminately murdering citizens.

Perhaps I could interest you in co-sponsoring my "If-you-vote-against-this-you-want-kids-to-die" Act, which would put the TSA in every K-12 school in America?

more info is out. the kid had been dating the same girl since 7th grade. he's a junior. four years at that age seems like forever. they broke up recently and his cousin had something to do with it.

his cousin was at the table he focused on and I'm not sure on this point but I think the ex girlfriend was too.

Archived