Constantine Season 1 [Spoilers]

Sci-2

Decent pilot, but it didn't quite have a cohesive feeling despite the focus on a single demon.

Kinda glad the girl is getting replaced - she wasn't very good in the acting department. Also, the electricity demon seemed to be conveniently dispatched at the end - didn't know a hacker (or was that professor a technomagus?) could just turn off the entire city's power grid.

Not quite creepy enough. It felt like the show was trying to be a PG version of an R-rate horror movie. Better to go for atmosphere rather than gore.

Constantine was good, as was Map (I think that's who the black guy is supposed to be.) And the fact John damned Astra in this story makes it way better than the Keanu version as it's willing to confront John's darker aspects - like when he lets the kid die to convince the girl to become an occult investigator.

I'm planning on giving it a few episodes.

Though the pilot wasn't as tight as it could have been. I know that gauging a show by it's pilot isn't the best way to judge a show. There was certainly enough to keep me there through the episode.

But I felt like this wasn't leading with their best foot forward.

The dialog felt rushed. Like there was a hurry to get things said. So there were a few moments that what was being said didn't land right.

Still the potential is there. The episode was enjoyable. And I'm looking forward to how they proceed from here.

I never really got in to the Hellblazer comic but I did enjoy the Keanu Reeves film Constantine and think it was pretty underrated. This series has potential, but the pilot was definitely wobbly. I attribute to lack luster editing and direction. I'll definitely stick with it for a few more episodes before writing it off.

Meh. I like the story, and some of special effects were great. Am not wild about the two leads. Constantine's hard boiled schtick is on my nerves. And I totally agree with Sci. They would have been better served working on menacing atmosphere.

I'll keep watching for the time being and hope it gets better.

I never read the comics, so the only thing I knew about this character is what I learned from Keanu. But I wasn't too impressed by the pilot.

So is this going to be like Person of Interest? but instead of numbers, they have blood spots on a map. So they go to the spots, figure out what is happening and deal with the demon of the week by waving their hands and spouting Latin or whatever language he was speaking.

Me too. The only thing I didn't really care for was the girl, and knowing that they dumped her after five or six episodes means I'm not too worried about that either.

I didn't mind her. I do like pretty dark haired women, and breakfast foods. She wasn't /that/ bad of an actress.

I never read the comics, so the only thing I knew about this character is what I learned from Keanu. But I wasn't too impressed by the pilot.

So is this going to be like Person of Interest? but instead of numbers, they have blood spots on a map. So they go to the spots, figure out what is happening and deal with the demon of the week by waving their hands and spouting Latin or whatever language he was speaking.

No.

I didn't mind her. I do like pretty dark haired women, and breakfast foods. She wasn't /that/ bad of an actress.

I didn't think she did a bad job acting either, I just didn't care for the character. I don't need another lost babe in the woods character who's learning about this dangerous world along with the audience. (I think this actress is much more attractive than the replacement, but whatever is good for the long term prospects of the show is my preference)

eta: it made me want to read the next Felix Caster book like now - luckily I have books four and five left to read.

Liv was fine in True Blood and Dracula, but I agree that her character was bleh.

At least as far into the episode as I got. I fell asleep about half way through ...

Old man is getting old.

ETA: Whoops. Mistook her for the gal from NBC's Dracula and Arrow for a sec.

Yeah, I agree with the broad consensus, I didn't have any problem with Liv's actress, but I can see why they decided the character wasn't working. The new face is obviously a pretty common trope to introduce viewers/readers into a complex world, but Constantine isn't really the sort of franchise that needs that naive waif.

Overall, it was good, but it did crack through things too fast, threw too much in at one time (I know some of it will have come from the late decision to drop Liv, but introducing her to the idea of trapped souls and a bunch of other stuff seemed entirely pointless when it didn't seem to have any actual connection to why the demon wanted to kill her), and just generally felt a bit lacking in cohesion.

Also, although differentiating itself from Supernatural is going to be hard given how heavily inspired that was by Hellblazer, they could have at least done something visually different with the demons. I know creepy contacts are cheap, but it just called unnecessary attention to the similarities, and, well, the pilot of Supernatural was better.

Matt Ryan is going to be the ace in the hole, though, he was excellent and the writing of him was spot on.

Constantine was good, as was Map (I think that's who the black guy is supposed to be.)

The angel? No chance, surely?

Anyone see the second episode yet? Much better than the first, helped greatly by the presence of Zed. I don't know enough of her comic version to know how accurate she is, and certainly it's a bit daft that although he's still British, all his allies have suddenly become American, but the chemistry between them is great, and the writers were right; it's much better having him playing off against someone who can meet him on his terms.

I wasn't too fond of

the 'it must be the Romany because all gypsy magic is eeeevil resolution though.

Archived