Complications with Stannis legalising Jon

ManderlysPies

It's more complicated than that. It's not like as soon as they find out Jon is Rhaegar's son he's immediately made King. There are still Targaryen heirs (Dany and Viserys, and also probably Aegon), but they weren't given anything just because who they are.

The Targaryens have a claim, which is why many people support them, but a claim is not enough: they need to recover the throne via conquest. Jon doesn't have any of that, nor is even sure that he will want to fight to get the throne or someone could use him to get power. Stannis definitely wouldn't, as he's fighting for the throne with a Baratheon claim, after his brother.

No. First, Jon would need to prove it, and good luck with that. Second, Stannis chose his brother over Aerys, "blood over honour". He didn't go running off to Essos to put Viserys or Dany on the throne, nor would he do the same for Jon. Third, he had a vision of his crown killing him, which, unless GRRM added it purely to show us how Stannis would move forward with that knowledge, suggests Stannis' kingship will be the death of him. Fourth, that would be so lame.

No. First off, if it is true (which it isn't), then Jon would most likely not want the throne. Also, Stannis believes it belongs to him and him alone. The Targaryen dynasty has ended, so a Targaryen has no claim. Finally, as JonCon's Red Beard pointed out, Jon doesn't have the means to even claim the throne by right or conquest.

I feel that people lack philosific edges to their theories. I mean, the Targs were overthrown and I do not see them coming back as a morally correct ending... stannis defeated the targs and will not give up his familys work just for good measure. IMO.

No. First, Jon would need to prove it, and good luck with that. Second, Stannis chose his brother over Aerys, "blood over honour". He didn't go running off to Essos to put Viserys or Dany on the throne, nor would he do the same for Jon. Third, he had a vision of his crown killing him, which, unless GRRM added it purely to show us how Stannis would move forward with that knowledge, suggests Stannis' kingship will be the death of him. Fourth, that would be so lame.

1. Good point, persuading Westeros on Howland Reeds word alone would be difficult, never mind the lack of respect for Crannogmen.

2. Stannis was presumably sworn to Robert so when Robert raised his banners, he didn't have a choice. By the end of the war, all Targs were dead or disappeared, so Robert did have the best claim.

3. Personally, I don't think Stannis would support Jons claim (not that Jon would even press a claim), I just wonder how Stannis would react to other Targs. I actually forgot about that vision.

4. Yeah it would be lame. Having Stannis bend the knee would be awful. As much as I like him, I'd rather see him die than serve.

No. First off, if it is true (which it isn't), then Jon would most likely not want the throne. Also, Stannis believes it belongs to him and him alone. The Targaryen dynasty has ended, so a Targaryen has no claim. Finally, as JonCon's Red Beard pointed out, Jon doesn't have the means to even claim the throne by right or conquest.

i don't want it to be true, as I've had it with Targs. However, it is probably true, as I can't think of an alternative. I agree that the last thing Jon is likely to do in the midst of a zombie/WW apocalypse is to add yet another King to the mix and further splinter the realm, so I doubt that he'll tell Stannis. Jon's strongest claim in the North is that, as far as anyone knows, he's Ned's last surviving adult son. Being Rhaegar's bastard wouldn't help him there, so, again, there's no reason to make his parentage public.

Long time lurker here, finally joining in :)

Anyway, presuming R+L=J is true and comes out, would Stannis still claim to be King or would his sense of duty make him serve Jon? Given that it was Targ ties that put Robert on the throne, would Stannis acknowledge Jon as the rightful king?

No. At this point, no way, no how, don't ever think about it, will Stannis acknowledge a non-Stannis as a rightful monarch over him. He's too much in love with the concept of himself as a man of duty, which duty, by sheer coincidence, urges him to seek the throne. Not going to happen.

Long time lurker here, finally joining in :)

Anyway, presuming R+L=J is true and comes out, would Stannis still claim to be King or would his sense of duty make him serve Jon? Given that it was Targ ties that put Robert on the throne, would Stannis acknowledge Jon as the rightful king?

I doubt Stannis would acknowledge Jon. The Targs were overthrown thus House Baratheon became the leading house. If Tommen and Myrcella are not of Robert, that would give Stannis the heir to the throne. Why would he acknowledge a Targ? Even if R+L=J were true, it still does not give Jon the kingship as Daenarys and Aegon are still ahead of him. As in the case of Maester Aemon, it could be that Jon remains with the Night's Watch and gives up his claim to the Iron Throne. Jon would have to experience some sort of dream for him to claim Targ.

Archived