Why didn't Ned bring back the bones of the fallen at the ToJ?

Salafi Stannis

Transporting nine bodies isn't an easy task and as far as we know it was only Ned, Howland and maybe some servants or a wet nurse there.

We also don't know the exact nature of the situation. He may have not wanted anyone poking around and asking questions.

Do other people in Westeros know the general facts about what happened at the ToJ? We never hear anyone talk about Dayne's death despite him being super famous.

The fact that they didn't bring back the bodies is something to worry about since they could just give the bones to the Silient Sisters and they will take the Bones home. This leads to believe that not everyone died there and maybe Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning survied the battle. They only say Nedd defeated him not killed him.

This is what I believe happened, at the moment Jon was born house Dayne's sword Dawn which was forged from a fallen star, gave off a blinding light and caught fire since it was near to the reborn Azor Ahai. The three of them stopped fighting and looked at the sword as the cry of a baby is heard, Arthur explains what it means as far as his prince told him Nedd doesn't believe it totally. They buried the bodies, since it would stand out if all the other bodies are sent home aside from Arthur's. Since going with Jon who would be considered the King by Arthur would put him at a high risk Arthur goes into hiding maybe with the help of his sister and house and wait for the war for the Dawn to come. Maybe he even trained Darkstar and that would explain why he tried to kill the pretender to the throne.

It is a crazy idea and I admit I kind of want to see Arthur Dayne alive.

Ned's an honourable man... I don't believe he would have decided not to bring his bones back... Maybe they never actually saw Lord Dustin struck down? I'm a little hazy on the facts... Also, when did Brandon and Rickard's bones arrive back in Winterfell?

But that's the thing though. There are multiple interpretations of what "honor" can mean here. Some people think it's dishonorable for Ned to not send the bones back, but on the flip side, others might say that it is honorable to lay men to rest where they had fought and died honorably in battle. The idea that there is only one objectively honorable outcome is just not correct.

I think there was honor in burying the men as equals where they had fought. I can see where it doesn't make much sense to others, but that's how I look at it. It's not as if battlefield cemeteries are a weird thing even in our world; this is essentially what that is on a smaller scale.

I also think that, practically, Ned had an interest in maintaining custody of Lyanna's body specifically, apart from sentimental reasons. If he buried it in Dorne, all it would take is one suspicious/skeptical party to take custody of it, examine it, and maybe be able to figure out what had killed her.

I agree with this theory. I also think Ned was a bit preoccupied with keeping promises and telling Cat he "fathered a bastard" so taking back the bodies wasn't even a priority for him.

Archived