Are the Sensational threads genuine or just trolling?

Malik Ambar

In a 'hypothetical' situation

Suppose I come across a thread that strongly feels to me like being a troll. Should I report it before it spirals out of control, give the poster the benefit of doubt and move on or just ignore it and let someone else bother?

Case in point http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119388-king/?view=getnewpost

Or http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119389-ramsys-kindness/?view=getnewpost

I find it to be about 50/50. Some of the craziest idea threads are legitimate attempts at discussion of the possibilities. I don't report anything unless I think it's in violation of the rules, and I don't recall reading a rule about no joke threads, though it could be I've just forgotten.

Some people hold controversial views about certain characters which is fine. Although there seems to quite a few outlandish threads being started on here in the last few days.

Not to discourage new posters from making threads, but when I see someone with a really lows post count, under 100, creating threads with really outlandish positions I can't help but think it is trolling. Seems like there's been a bit more of it lately but it's hard to say.

In a 'hypothetical' situation

Suppose I come across a thread that strongly feels to me like being a troll.

Hypothetically? It probably is. If it looks like troll, if it sounds like troll, and if it lives under a bridge collecting toll from travelers under the threat of grievous bodily harm... it might be an ent. But it's unlikely. Non-troll threads usually don't even evoke such doubts. Report it, what's the worst that could happen?

I'd almost respect a real troll more than I would someone seriously suggesting something so stupid that it shouldn't even be mentioned out loud, like how Bran and Sansa are the most evil characters in the entire story, or how Ramsey, the Bloody Mummers, or Victarion are just misunderstood, or how much the story would be improved if Jon Snow and Dany were removed from the last two books entirely. A troll is just doing it for laughs. Someone thinking up something ridiculous and putting it across as something GRRM should take seriously is just plain sad and possibly even deserving of a visit to a psychiatrist.

What's the worst that could happen? How about someone who was not trolling gets banned for trolling?

That's exactly the kind of injustice Dany would be fighting against in Meereen if they had internet there.

I'm sorry, I loled. Was this intentionally hyperbolic? Because if not...

Archived