vile woman eats cake to prove fat people are evil!

BigFatCoward

Man, when I was a kid, I was I e of those super picky eaters. As TP says, I could count the types of meals I would eat on two hands. What a fucking asshole. Now, I can count the foods I wont eat on one hand... And only one of those because its just gross, the rest is on principle...

Satan bless you picky bastards, more for me I say. Just don't come to my house for dinner, I make no exceptions for your sorry asses.

I remember the first time I tried snails, after the intial OMFG snails, I popped one in expecting to projectile hurl and they were fuckin delicious. Next stop insects, pretty much the only food aversion I have left.

Picky eaters are made, not born. Aside from certain foods that does trigger aversion in high tasters, the rest are just habits. Doesn't make it easy to change, of course. But many parents do manage to train their kids to eat well.

As someone with a very picky eater, this is not true. I've gone all the way up to and including force feeding her until she choked. She'd rather starve. And then wake up hungry 5 times during the night. It has got slightly better but if this is treated solely as a lacking in parents I have a daughter toucan hire. :) let me know how you get on with forcing her to eat proper food. :p

As someone with a very picky eater, this is not true. I've gone all the way up to and including force feeding her until she choked. She'd rather starve. And then wake up hungry 5 times during the night. It has got slightly better but if this is treated solely as a lacking in parents I have a daughter toucan hire. :) let me know how you get on with forcing her to eat proper food. :P

i don't think you force them, you just let them get to the point where their hunger kicks in, which it will eventually. i was a picky eater as a child because i knew i had more will power than my parents, not because i didn't want to eat what they wanted me to eat (except carrots, fuck carrots).

My oldest is picky (not majorly but enough to make dinner time annoying). Now he just picks out what he doesn't want, i wont add sauce unless tomato sauce to his food. Also anything cooked in gravyish sauces needs to be as least saucey as possible. I refuse to cook more than one meal unless hubby and i are having something spicy or special (expensive and they wont appreciate it)

My 3 yr old is quite picky too but thats just his age. He doesn't eat meals. But very healthy snaking all day long and I can't complain with that.

i don't think you force them, you just let them get to the point where their hunger kicks in, which it will eventually. i was a picky eater as a child because i knew i had more will power than my parents, not because i didn't want to eat what they wanted me to eat (except carrots, fuck carrots).

Yeah, ok, what do you think is wrong with this analysis? What do you think happens when you have a picky eater child that goes to bed hungry? Think about it.

Oh and trust me, I have tried this method. I still do, well knowing the cost.

Yeah, ok, what do you think is wrong with this analysis? What do you think happens when you have a picky eater child that goes to bed hungry? Think about it.

Indeed. If the kids don't sleep, no one sleeps, which is what makes me also reluctant to let them go to bed hungry.

This is true.

It is just as unhealthy to be on the underweight side of things. It's just that society seems to be geared towards presenting this unhealthy image of the size zero 'ideal woman' to our young people. And, by the way, they do make assumptions about smaller people's weight and lifestyle choices - I know, I was on the receiving end of it all through my teen years. I've lost track of the number of times I got asked whether or not I was eating properly or, my personal favourite, whether or not everything was ok at home.

Do they ever. My weight fluctuates a lot, from I guess a fairly average weight to quite skinny. When I put on weight, no one says a thing to me because they all realise that hey, commenting on my body would be rude. When I lose weight, everyone up to and including distant acquaintances feels entitled to comment on it. This is a consistent pattern and it pisses me off. Let's all just not be dicks and keep our opinions about each other's bodies to ourselves, yeah?

Indeed. If the kids don't sleep, no one sleeps, which is what makes me also reluctant to let them go to bed hungry.

Bingo.

Further, the amount of force you can apply to say, a four year old, to actually *make* them eat what they do not wish is limited. We've tried binning toys, putting her in time out, shouting at her, forcing her to not get anything else to eat but her cold, old dinner, introducing veg/fruits in other forms (lots of smoothies in the bin there), cooking her alternative meals, going to see the doctor, etc. Nothing works. And yes, I have tried actually force feeding her but that makes kids choke and is not really workable solution. Although I still tend to shove food in her mount during dinner time.

I'm sure there are lots of parents who are extremely lenient with their kids, but there are also people who've tried everything they could get their hands on, and the fierce anklebiters are still not cooperating. Choosing not to sleep may be something non-working parents could possibly do, but long term it is absolute murder.

My daughter eats broccoli, cucumber and apples with occasional carrots thrown in. That is as good as it gets. Anything else she refuses, and trust me I have tried. Perhaps it will be easier to put her to bed hungry when she is older, but right now it is a non-solution for everyone involved.

Some people are supertasters and everything tastes stronger to them. Most of them will only start enjoying fruit and veg when they have aged a bit and some of their taste buds have died off.

Other fussiness is often related to people associating foods with non-foods. So people don't like mushrooms and some other veg because they taste earthy (like dirt) and some people don't like certain fruits or herbs because they associate them with cleaning products or toiletries (coriander is usually disliked because people think it tastes like soap).

I wouldn't worry too much as people certainly survive on chips and ketchup because we get more nutrients from these unhealthy foods than we realise. In the UK people get most of their vitamin C from potatoes. Eskimos eat a 90% meat diet but they get all the nutrients they need (mostly because they eat a lot of offal, but hey, that is what most cheap sausages are made out of).

Bingo.

Further, the amount of force you can apply to say, a four year old, to actually *make* them eat what they do not wish is limited. We've tried binning toys, putting her in time out, shouting at her, forcing her to not get anything else to eat but her cold, old dinner, introducing veg/fruits in other forms (lots of smoothies in the bin there), cooking her alternative meals, going to see the doctor, etc. Nothing works. And yes, I have tried actually force feeding her but that makes kids choke and is not really workable solution. Although I still tend to shove food in her mount during dinner time.

I'm sure there are lots of parents who are extremely lenient with their kids, but there are also people who've tried everything they could get their hands on, and the fierce anklebiters are still not cooperating. Choosing not to sleep may be something non-working parents could possibly do, but long term it is absolute murder.

My daughter eats broccoli, cucumber and apples with occasional carrots thrown in. That is as good as it gets. Anything else she refuses, and trust me I have tried. Perhaps it will be easier to put her to bed hungry when she is older, but right now it is a non-solution for everyone involved.

Lyanna, i grew up with a brother who refused point blank to eat any vegetables, right up until he died, he would never eat any vegetable. It all became a big battle of wills!

When my kids came along I had a clinic sister who said, not to worry about balancing a child's meal, as long as the day's intake was balanced, or the week's, or maybe even the fortnight. with this guidance I just used to keep offering the refused foods, a day or three later, maybe done a different way, maybe done with the child's involvement, and if they said they still didn't like it, I'd just say, "Oh well, your tastebuds mustn't have matured yet, never mind, maybe next time. I used to have to pretend to be really offhand about it.

It seemed to me that, in my brother's case, he got to the stage where he couldn't try vegies, because that would mean he'd lost the battle of wills. I wanted to avoid drawing battlelines over the whole eating thing, so i tried the opposite approach.

Getting them involved in the preparation of the food was almost worth the mess it made. we grated carrot to make nests for our boiled eggs, we pretended we were dinosaurs eating trees with the broccoli.

When my older son was about nine, he came running in from the barbecue "Mum, my tastebuds have matured, I like onion now!!!"

When my older son was about nine, he came running in from the barbecue "Mum, my tastebuds have matured, I like onion now!!!"

I have my fingers crossed that day will come! Currently we are having no luck with eggs in any form but pancakes (neither boiled nor fried or scrambled) and carrots only if raw and not grated. Mentions of onion in food actually makes her cry (without even actually having been exposed to the onion itself!), as does mentioning chick peas.

Some people are supertasters and everything tastes stronger to them. Most of them will only start enjoying fruit and veg when they have aged a bit and some of their taste buds have died off.

I'm one of those. Some sources have suggested that 10-20% of people are like this. As a kid a lot of vegetables like cauliflower, turnip, boiled brussel sprouts, etc would make me gag. A long battle of wills ensued. My parents assumed I was being difficult and it's not as if we had a great variety of vegatable available in Ireland then. I ate peas, green beans, carrots, cabbage and others quite easily.

Those vegetables are not so intensely nauseating now but I still cannot eat the worst offenders in boiled form. I also don't enjoy coffee, wine, dark chocolate or many other bitter flavored "enjoyable" foods. Roasted vegetables are less offensive than boiled, which might be worth trying with some kids.

Lyanna, according to my pediatrician, if my girls were able to name one fruit and one vegetable they liked to eat, that was good enough that we didn't need to worry. You've got three vegetables and a fruit right there!

The one thing that helped for me was this insipid episode of the children's tv show, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, where they sang a little ditty, "You have to try new foods 'cause they might be goo-ood." That worked to get my kids trying things. Now we've evolved to where they'll eat a couple bites of whatever is on their plates.

As someone with a very picky eater, this is not true. I've gone all the way up to and including force feeding her until she choked. She'd rather starve. And then wake up hungry 5 times during the night. It has got slightly better but if this is treated solely as a lacking in parents I have a daughter toucan hire. :) let me know how you get on with forcing her to eat proper food. :p

You can have one of mine too. My other one eats everything.

after a couple of days they eat food and shut the fuck up is what i imagine happens!

after a couple of days they eat food and shut the fuck up is what i imagine happens!

Uh, no, you become so painfully thin the asshole friend of the family calls you "withered leg", which is what happened to me. My parents would laugh it off but privately mutter about what an asshole he was. He was in the army with my dad, a small, tight-knit group immigrated to Canada together, so they couldn't just dump him.

I would also throw temper tantrums, and hold my breath until I was blue in the face and faint. Only until I was 3 or 4, though.

You don't even need particularly picky kids for catering to them to become a chore.

I have three kids, if I allow each of them 2 legitimate food preferences each and that's six ingredients I have to either exclude entirely or for some (and I don't think that's unreasonable. I don't eat stuff I truly hate why should they? Also kids do not always have the vocab to express why something is bothering them. As an adult I can say that textural issues with certain foods make me instantly gag, as a kid I said 'eeww I'm not eating that').

Add to that the fact that one of my kids is on medication that limits his appetite (dinner is frequently the only meal of the day he will eat at ALL) and I have to pay attention to make sure he doesn't lose weight. Along with just how disheartening it is to spend an hour or more preparing something only to have all of them refuse to eat it and no you wasted the time and money it took to cook, it's pretty understandable why many parents end up giving up and just feeding them stuff they know they like and will eat.

Archived