Acrophilia #3: Results

a free shadow

I will either post the next round in a couple (few) hours or will make an extension for a week.

I think a week is a bad scenario, and I am hoping some things will improve in time for not doing it.

There are two players who will not be playing, two I have not heard from, but I hope to get a response most from those who turned in last minute clues which are not something entirely ready to use.

Edit: I have decided to go with what I have. It is in part for the reason that I am not sure if an extension would bring much result, in part for the reason that I will not have a lot of time in the next few days for watching this board for (im)possible messages, and in part of the reason that an extension of more than a few days seems weary, and dull for the active players. Anyone who missed something this round, will still be welcome to come back and then a new game is starting very soon. I hope everybody will love understand it. The second result and the last round are coming :ninja:

SECOND RESULT

1. Wise grandmother to many children.
AnswerOld Nan

AuthorVisenya Stark

Author Points: 7 (other guesses were for Olenna Tyrell)
Guessing points: 0 (no guesses were submitted)
Theme: 0
Favorite clue points: 0
TOTAL: 7

2. Gonads furbelow this matriarch, always clever. Dumb partner.
AnswerOlena Tyrell
AuthorQ the Cat

Author Points: 6 (other guesses were for Cersei Lannister, Genna Lannister and Brienne of Tarth)
Guessing points: 24
Favorite clue points: 1
TOTAL: 31

3. Guardioned, flees to mysterious archipelago, completely disappearing. Poignant...
AnswerRickon Stark
AuthorFragile Bird

Author Points: 4 (other guesses were for Gerion Lannister, Arya Stark, Jon Connington, Arthur Dayne)
Guessing points: 33
TOTAL: 37

4. Gold furnished. Took misbegotten ancestral coin. Disappeared permanently.
AnswerTysha
AuthorEmmit

Author Points: 1 (other guesses were Gerion Lannister, Pate, Petyr Baelish, Varys, Merret Frey, Bloodraven)
Guessing points: 27
TOTAL: 28

5. Giant forebear? Tunelessly mumbles and carries damaged progeny.
AnswerHodor
AuthorDolorous Gabe

Author Points: 9 (all guesses were correct)
Guessing points: 30
TOTAL: 39

6. Girl fertile, teary (marriage awful carnage), denouement: pregnant.
AnswerRoslin Frey
AuthorCastellan

Author Points: 8 (other guess was for Daenerys Targaryen)
Guessing points: 36
TOTAL: 44

7. Guy fastidiously tapped maiden's ass. Couldn't detect pogrom.
Answer Edmure Tully
AuthorSer Not Appearing

Author Points: 5 (other guesses were for Yoren, Bronn, Jaime Lannister)
Guessing points: 18
TOTAL: 23

8. Guides female through mudflats around cloister domiciling penitents.
AnswerSepton Meribald
AuthorWoofless

Author Points: 6 (other guesses were for Sandor Clegane and Nimble Dick)
Favorite clue points: 3
TOTAL: 36

9. "Winter's," gentleman talked musingly, "coming."
AnswerEddard Stark
Authora shadow

Other guesses were for Roose Bolton, Benjen Stark, Mance Rayder, Varys.

10. Girl's function: translator. Moreover, actively councils dragons' parent.
AnswerMissandei
AuthorLeave it to your goat

Author Points: 10 (all the guesses were correct)
Favorite clue points: 0 (2 votes, disregarded for not turning in own vote)
TOTAL: 10

11. Winterfell genetics tuneful maintainer,cryptically.
AnswerBael the Bard
Authorredriver

Author Points: 5 (other guesses were for Mance Rayder, Lyanna Stark, Osha)
Guessing points: 24
Favorite clue points: 2
TOTAL: 31

12. Golden fingers to marry? Almost! Carried deceased(?) Prince.
AnswerElia Martell
AuthorReek Havoc

Author Points: 4 (other guesses were Cersei Lannister, Lyanna Stark, Jaime Lannister, Tywin Lannister, Kevan Lannister, Petyr Baelish)
Favorite clue points: 0 (1 vote, disregarded for not turning in own vote)

TOTAL: 4

13. Grumpy father, total martinet. Ample commander. Demoralized progeny.
AnswerRandyll Tarly
Authorlil' ghost

Author Points: 7 (other guesses were for Tywin Lannister)
Guessing points: 15
TOTAL: 22

14. Gave fencing tuition maiden always called dancing practice.
AnswerSyrio Forel
Authoryomi

Author Points: 9 (all guesses were correct)
Favorite clue points: 1

TOTAL: 37

THEME – The first letters of the first names spell out 'North remembers'. Nobody got it. Other ideas for the theme were 'Valar morghulis' and 'Winter is coming', though random generator chose 'North remembers'. When I asked if a clue for the theme would be welcome, I thought of 'Watching is not seeing, dead girl', hoping somebody will understand it is a comment on the mechanics for looking for the theme, but in the end decided against it, because a part of the players would have inevitably missed it and the theme is too helpful, when you notice it.

THE RANKING OF THE SECOND ROUND

1. Castellan 44

2. Dolorous Gabe 39

3-4. Fragile Bird 37

3-4. yomi 37

5. Woofless 36

6-7. redriver 31

6-7. Q the Cat 31

8. Emmit 28

9. Ser Not Appearing 23

10. lil' ghost 22

11. Leave it to your goat 10

12. Visenya Stark 7

13. Reek Havoc 4

14. northernwarg N/A

CURRENT STANDINGS

1. Castellan 49+44 = 93

2. Dolorous Gabe 51+39 = 90

3. yomi 47+37 = 84

4. Woofless 42+36 = 78

5. redriver 45+31 = 76

6-7. Q the Cat 38+31 = 69

6-7. Fragile Bird 32+37 = 69

8. Emmit 40+28 = 68

9. Ser Not Appearing 30+23 = 53

10. lil' ghost 26+22 = 48

11. Reek Havoc 38+4 = 42

12. Leave it to your goat 27+10 = 37

13. Visenya Stark 24+7 = 31

14. northernwarg 11

Castellan with another nearly-perfect guess list overtook Dolorous Gabe, who gave up the top spot for the first time in his career, although it is still only three points (or one correct guess) away. Yomi kept her rights to the third place, while Woofless with another most favorited clue moved into fourth, slightly bettering the score of redriver, who earned favorite clue votes as well, but this round struggled more with guessing.

The biggest leap of the second round belongs to Fragile Bird, whose guessing points were only bettered by the current leader, Castellan.

Also, this round there were three clues guessed correctly every time - DG's clue for Hodor, Leave it to your goat's clue for Missandei and yomi's clue for Syrio Forel.

Thank you for playing and the last round will be up soon. :ninja:

Ok, now that I know 12 was Elia for sure... that is a really, really good clue. Glad I went with it as my fav.

Disclaimer: I was lost on many of these. No idea why I struggled so much other than being too literal.

I was looking for an actual grandmother of many for number 1. I considered Nan briefly and then discarded the idea. That's unfortunate because I guessed Olenna on 1 even though I thought it was also the best answer for 2 on account of the clever reference. Wasn't sure if riding off a cliff while hawking made her partner dumb, so I just went with Genna on 2.

3, I was lost. Went with Arya. Fairly random guess.

4, I did consider Tysha but the ancestral coin threw me off. I think I went with Gerion in the hopes that there was something to his story about family gold in addition to the sword. Again, I was just... off.

5, easy.

6, got it in part because I had Edmure.

7, you guys missed out. Yes, I'm biased. :) That was one of my favorite self-clues to date. Not a foliage-hued foresight level clue, but it was good.

8, easy.

9, I liked this more when I thought it was Varys. :)

10, easy.

11, had no idea. Went Mance. Don't tend to think of ages-past characters.

12, I spent a long time trying to think of a Prince who died or was near death and was carried. Best idea was Quent but then the golden fingers part made no sense. Got stuck on Jaime for golden fingers and finally made the connection in carried = pregnancy and the maybe deceased was Aegon.

13, went with Tywin. Also fits Randyl and more encompasses all that Randyl is. Sad I maybe had too strong a main character bias.

14, easy.

The Last Round

1. Fantastic wife outliver. False, prickly, aged, belated.

2. First winged overlord fought pedestrian Andals, brutally.

3. "Farewell, wife!" *opens fully, pushes* "Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!" "Bwahahahaha!"

4. Donned notoriously broken rubies - known fallen.

5. Funeral was outdoors -- floating peacefully atop boat.

6. Feebleness' woeful outcome - famous precipitation avengement ballad.

7. Father, wealthy; odours faulty, privy accursedly boltless.

8. Faked wifely obligations. Fooled partner about brood.

9. Despite nomination, butchered rabid king, forswearing.

10. Dying nag. Beleagured refugee.Knowingly fled.

11. Dude nabbed. Brotherhood refereed. "Killed" Firebearer.

12. Failed weaning. Obsessions: flying people, and breast.

13. Following wife of fat Pentoshi. A bedwarmer.

14. Dead Northerner. Bald, rambunctious knight. Hefty.

Theme: _____________

I will admit that this theme, unlike the first two, is inherently evil :ninja: When I planned the rounds, I chose the themes that would be getting harder with each round. Even if you will notice a connection, you might need some research online to verify it.

I have made three clues instead of the players who have not submitted one. They will get no points for these clues, but will still be able to guess the other clues and keep playing, if they'd like to.

Last round I have forgotten there is a reason to tell which clues are mine -- this time they are awful 2nd, 5th and 7th, so if you will inexplicably be misguided into considering them for a favorite clue vote, don't :ninja:

The deadline for making your guesses is Saturday, November 29th, 4 AM Machu Picchu time. This round will take six and not seven days and I hope all will be well :ninja:

Might the victory be bloody great, whomever it belongs to.

You can once submit your preliminary guesses for the theme and no more than four clues of your choice. I will tell you, if the theme is correct, close to correct or wrong, and how many of your clue guesses are right, but not which ones.

There will be no deadline for the preliminaries as such, but I will be mostly unavailable to answer them :ninja:

Do not forget to name your favorite clue before the deadline, too :pirate: Or else you will not get any favorite clue points yourself :P

Can someone explain Edmure?I read extensively around the Red Wedding,figuring that was the pogrom.Can't recall him tapping Roslin's posterior,though.

But it's possible I missed it in all the excitement.

And Roose works for #9.He said it to Arya after his Harrenhall wolf hunt.

#2: I'm not sure what the "Gonads furbelow" part wants to tell me and I think "always clever. Dumb partner." fits Olenna and Genna equally well, but luckily I considered Olenna to be more of a matriach, so I got it right. Wasn't to sure about it, though.

#3: I got stuck with Gerion Lannister, although I was sceptic due to the "Guardioned". It fits Rickon much better, actually it's a quiet good clue for him, I just didn't get it.

#4: I guessed Varys. I know the "Gold furnished. " doesn't really fit him, IIRC his rooms are described as surprisingly simple, but the rest is a good description of his persona Rugen. It didn't seem to fit to anyone else, either, and honestly I don't see how it fits Tysha.

#7: I didn't consider the RW as a pogrom, so I didn't get this clue. It's a quiet good one, though, and I think the fastidiously fits well, Edmure seemed quiet picky.

#8: I'm supprised this didn't the full author points, too.

#11: I had it blank till last night, but when I suddenly understood it, I loved it. Still love it. It is so clever and beautiful :wub:

Bael the Bard, who according to some wildling legend that is basically unknown south of the wall kept the Stark blood going by impregnating a Stark daughter and hiding in the Winterfell crypts with her :wub:

#12: I considered many characters. Tywin, Jaime, Jon Connington, Illyrio, Cersei, Elia, Varys, to name some. It didn't completely fit any of them well in my opinion, but the best to Tywin so I gave him as my answer. In the hindsight I guess "Golden fingers to marry? Almost!" refers to Elia's mother proposing her as a match for Jaime, but really only in hindsight.

And I guess I didn't guess the theme because I'm too kind.

On the up side the clues for the third round seem mostly easier, so maybe I'll figure out which theme you'll steal this time <_<

I'd associate that with the insinuations of his conversation/excuse with Jaime, yeah.

She's pregnant. Those details got some painstaking attention.

I think I'm getting it now.Didn't think of reading ahead to Feast.Perhaps the trebuchet threat dominated the rest of the passage for me.

A fair and righteous clue.

#2: I'm not sure what the "Gonads furbelow" part wants to tell me and I think "always clever. Dumb partner." fits Olenna and Genna equally well, but luckily I considered Olenna to be more of a matriach, so I got it right. Wasn't to sure about it, though.

I can't help thinking of a skirt lined with testicles,which come to think of it,she probably has in her wardrobe.

Never even occurred to me to think so far outside the box for a theme. Very sneaky, shadow, and you say this one is evil? Crikey!

Woofless, Emmit and Reek Havoc stumped me, as did our host.

Well played Castellan. Impressive total in a tough round.

4. Gold furnished. Took misbegotten ancestral coin. Disappeared permanently.

Answer – Tysha

Author – Emmit

Gold furnished -- while most of Tysha's attackers paid her in silver, Tyrion paid her in gold.

Took misbegotten ancestral coin -- Misbegotten because if the way it was "earned", ancestral coin refers to old Lannister money.

Disappeared permanently -- Other than a popular fan theory, no one has seen her.

I am really sorry, folks... super hard clues hurt me more than they hurt you. I didn't think it wasn't that hard.

BUT if I have effed up this third clue, I am going to the Where's Waldo? fan site... and staying.

Archived