Dornishmen on the wall.

Mr. James

So I was rereading a part of book 4 recently and during the Princess in the Tower chapter Arianne very seriously considered the prospect of some of her cohorts being executed or sent to an island prison called Ghaston Grey in the sea of Dorne. Of course Arianne and her father both realize that House Martell can't afford to upset the other noble houses of Dorne so both of those options are off the table. What really struck me is that is never occurs to either her or Doran to punish people by sending them to the wall. We know of Dornishmen who have been temporarily or permanently sent across the Narrow Sea in exile, and apparently there is Ghaston Grey, but do we know of any Dornishmen who are currently brother's of the Nightswatch?

I mean at the wall we have met representatives from pretty much every kingdom in Westeros, and even the Crownlands but unless I'm mistaken we have never encountered a black brother from Dorne. Do the Dornish just not send people up there, or are they just not mentioned?

P.S I don't know if we have seen a man of the NW from the Westerlands but both Tyrion and Jamie have been under threat from it so I assume people from the west are sent there.

Thoughts?

Lord Commander Qorgyle was a Dornishmen.

Okay and I also just learned that there was a minor character named Dornish Dilly who died during the battle of Castle Black. So apparently there are Dornishmen at the wall, perhaps there just are not many.

Okay and I also just learned that there was a minor character named Dornish Dilly who died during the battle of Castle Black. So apparently there are Dornishmen at the wall, perhaps there just are not many.

The logistics would be impossible. We are talking of thousands and thousands of kilometers. It's not rare there are so few Dornishmen, even more given the fact that they are not really as Westerosi as the rest.

P.S I don't know if we have seen a man of the NW from the Westerlands but both Tyrion and Jamie have been under threat from it so I assume people from the west are sent there.

Thoughts?

There are two characters named Hill IIRC. That's a Westerland bastard name. I think one of them could even be a Lannister bastard (he has the looks), Sweet Donnel Hill IIRC.

The reason there may not be many Dornishmen at the wall may just come down to logistics. It's very far and would be costly to ship men there. Also Dorne joined the rest of the Seven Kingdoms relatively recently so the tradition wouldn't be as strong there as it would be in the North or Riverlands.

The reason there may not be many Dornishmen at the wall may just come down to logistics. It's very far and would be costly to ship men there. Also Dorne joined the rest of the Seven Kingdoms relatively recently so the tradition wouldn't be as strong there as it would be in the North or Riverlands.

Would it really be that much more expensive to ship someone from Dorne then for example the overland route from the Southern Reach or the Arbor? I mean Samwell made the trip up there and then traveled on the Cinnamon Wind along the southern coast of Dorne and back to Oldtown in book 4.

Sam's first trip would have been paid for by his father who is a wealthy lord. His second trip was financed by the watch. Both times he was someone of importance. If I'm a petty Lord who arrests a rapist in the middle of Dorne there's not a lot of motivation to send him to the watch.

Guys like Yoren travel around recruiting and emptying dungeons so unless someone like him comes by most criminals in Dorne will just stay there. It also doesn't make a lot of sense for someone like Yoren to go to Dorne either when he can just travel up and down the Kingsroad.

Currently known I can think of, Dornish thst is.

We do have Sweet Donnell as previous mentioned representing the westermen.

Most of the black brothers these days are lowborn scum so just by their names we wouldn't know where they are from.

The Flea might be dornish, Owen the Oaf, who knows.

Sam's first trip would have been paid for by his father who is a wealthy lord. His second trip was financed by the watch. Both times he was someone of importance. If I'm a petty Lord who arrests a rapist in the middle of Dorne there's not a lot of motivation to send him to the watch.

Guys like Yoren travel around recruiting and emptying dungeons so unless someone like him comes by most criminals in Dorne will just stay there. It also doesn't make a lot of sense for someone like Yoren to go to Dorne either when he can just travel up and down the Kingsroad.

On top of all the previously mentioned reasons Dorne is also the least populace of the seven kingdoms if I remember correctly. Ceterus parabus there would be fewer Dornish there. Combine that with the logistical challenges and it seems likely that only a few Dornish ever end up there.

I think Dornishmen on the Wall are really limited to the sons of nobles (who have the cash to get there), regular Dornish criminals who are sent to the Wall to accompany the son of a noble and the occasional odd duck who gets send their because he was a pirate or a sailor who committed his crimes much closer to the Wall.

Yup I was going to say Lord Commander Qorgyle, whose actually a pretty recent Lord Commander, the third to last one they had. But in all honesty, I find it more strange to think how Ironborn end up on the Wall; for example Cotter Pyke. It's like meeting an Ironborn Noble on the Small Council lol, it just doesn't happen much. But it's not impossible either.

Dornishmen on the Wall seem to be a rarity due to cultural differences - I doubt any Dornish lord even thinks of the Night's Watch.

So far, only two are really confirmed: Lord Commander Qorgyle and Dornish Dilly. The former we know little about other than he was a member of House Qorgyle and was dilligent in sending out patrols across the Wall; the latter we only is Dornish by his name and he died during the Battle of Castle Black in ASOS.

Archived