Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

I always had the feeling that Sam would leave to Braavos, in order to get Gilly and Aemon out of there. Even though we didnt see/hear of Sam in Croatia doesnt mean he wont be in Braavos, they could still be filming Braavos scenes in Belfast, so we really dont know. I could see them cutting Oldtown if all Sam does down there is learn to be a Maestar with nothing else happening (however got the feeling something going on there), so could learn in Braavos as Oldtown has not been mentioned in the show. However Sam being there during 'For The Watch' would be interesting

Well seems ... seems... a lot of Arya's Braavos interior scenes have been shot in Belfast , can't say I have seen a street-capture of Maisie or Tom , this month in Belfast, but they had to be there.

Strict radio silence on many cast members in November.

So me thinks Sam , maybe, does not make it to Oldtown season 5, I wonder if ever?

Sam goes there book-wise, it sets some things in motion, but then what? Sam stays there 'off-book' all of Winds?

Maybe he comes back to the Wall in Dreams?

It's up to GRRM can he bring together what now seems an uncountable number of threads in two books?

That's got to present a problem for D&D with just three seasons to go.

Sam goes there book-wise, it sets some things in motion, but then what? Sam stays there 'off-book' all of Winds?

Maybe he comes back to the Wall in Dreams?

To be honest I've long thought that Sam's training as a Maester - if that's indeed what happens - presents even more of a problem time-wise than Arya's or Bran's training. At least with the Stark kids you've got the "because magic" option; with Sam, assuming he does indeed do maester training (which of course isn't necessarily what's happening), the guy's going to be finishing off a six to seven year program in a couple of months.

I think it's unrealistic to expect that he will complete the entire curriculum. He'll probably just do the Intro to Magic, Dragons 101, Valyrian for Beginners and maybe also Prophets and Prophecies.

I also think that a lot here depends on how important Euron/Euron's attack on the Reach will be. As many people noted, Sam's presence in Oldtown has a secondary function, in that he's our eyes there. Obviously, Euron can't really attack Braavos, that would mess a lot of things. So, if the attack is important, Sam will go to Oldtown and Oldtown will be in the Reach. And conversely, if Sam goes to Oldtown, chances are, Euron will be in.

To be honest I've long thought that Sam's training as a Maester - if that's indeed what happens - presents even more of a problem time-wise than Arya's or Bran's training. At least with the Stark kids you've got the "because magic" option; with Sam, assuming he does indeed do maester training (which of course isn't necessarily what's happening), the guy's going to be finishing off a six to seven year program in a couple of months.

Yeah even with a compressed program is he there one year, two years, three years, the Wall may not even be there then, much less Castle Black!

Anyway nobody will be in need of a Maester by then!

I always had the feeling that Sam would leave to Braavos, in order to get Gilly and Aemon out of there. Even though we didnt see/hear of Sam in Croatia doesnt mean he wont be in Braavos, they could still be filming Braavos scenes in Belfast, so we really dont know. I could see them cutting Oldtown if all Sam does down there is learn to be a Maestar with nothing else happening (however got the feeling something going on there), so could learn in Braavos as Oldtown has not been mentioned in the show. However Sam being there during 'For The Watch' would be interesting

Sam going to Braavos is too good of a thing to simply pass. The problem with Arya's storyline in Braavos is she doesn't have a lot of people the audience knows to interact with. This requires introducing new characters and taking up more screen time; it's an issue. It's good to have new characters, creating an atmosphere of mystery - but isolating Arya away from the rest of everything else makes her arch seem unnecessary. There are three, four characters in the whole season she might meet that she remembers from Westeros:

1. There is the Kindly Man, well-rumored to be Jaqen-faced. We'll see how it plays out with Jaqen being Jaqen, as the audience knows him, or being a different character with Jaqen's face.

2. A bit of Mace Tyrell and Meryn Trant. The only way they would really interact closely and often with Arya is if D&D rehashed a Tywin-Arya type of situation by making Arya a subordinate servant to Mace. I doubt they'll do this. And the KL troop probably won't be in Braavos for too long.

3. Waif? - totally new.

Keep in mind even by bookreader standards, Arya's storyline is seen as this pocket where she's out of it, in training, and disjointed from the main plotlines. Sam going to Braavos is one thing that helps keep her story tied into those of others. It also helps her interact with someone else who helps her remember her identity and is more of a friend than a colleague at school. It's also very cool to hear her think about Jon. If Jon and Arya's relationship is going to mean something in the future, having Sam interact with Arya in Braavos and hearing about Jon is a really good time to build it, especially if something happens between them in Season 6. In a nutshell, Arya's story needs Sam more than Jon's needs Sam.

As far as Hardhome is concerned... it could be done by the recently introduced Cotter Pyke just fine. The whole scene would be more about the White Walkers anyway than it would be about Sam/Cotter/Someone. It would be totally fine having Cotter be the new equivalent of Will/Gared/Waymar.

Sam going to Braavos is too good of a thing to simply pass. The problem with Arya's storyline in Braavos is she doesn't have a lot of people the audience knows to interact with. This requires introducing new characters and taking up more screen time; it's an issue. It's good to have new characters, creating an atmosphere of mystery - but isolating Arya away from the rest of everything else makes her arch seem unnecessary. There are three, four characters in the whole season she might meet that she remembers from Westeros:

1. There is the Kindly Man, well-rumored to be Jaqen-faced. We'll see how it plays out with Jaqen being Jaqen, as the audience knows him, or being a different character with Jaqen's face.

2. A bit of Mace Tyrell and Meryn Trant. The only way they would really interact closely and often with Arya is if D&D rehashed a Tywin-Arya type of situation by making Arya a subordinate servant to Mace. I doubt they'll do this. And the KL troop probably won't be in Braavos for too long.

3. Waif? - totally new.

Keep in mind even by bookreader standards, Arya's storyline is seen as this pocket where she's out of it, in training, and disjointed from the main plotlines. Sam going to Braavos is one thing that helps keep her story tied into those of others. It also helps her interact with someone else who helps her remember her identity and is more of a friend than a colleague at school. It's also very cool to hear her think about Jon. If Jon and Arya's relationship is going to mean something in the future, having Sam interact with Arya in Braavos and hearing about Jon is a really good time to build it, especially if something happens between them in Season 6. In a nutshell, Arya's story needs Sam more than Jon's needs Sam.

The Arya/Sam meeting in the book really doesn't amount to much (even things like seeing her think about Jon would obviously not happen in the show, either).

While it's true the show could build it up into something more, I don't think that's necessary. Arya's first few episodes will be arriving Braavos, meeting the Kindly Man/Jaqen, then then the Waif, seeming getting her insurance salesman mission, etc. Then you've got "Mercy" in the final episodes to tie the plot back in with the rest of the series, and possibly an ending suggestion of what's going to happen next.

As far as Hardhome is concerned... it could be done by the recently introduced Cotter Pyke just fine. The whole scene would be more about the White Walkers anyway than it would be about Sam/Cotter/Someone. It would be totally fine having Cotter be the new equivalent of Will/Gared/Waymar.

Last I heard there's no news concerning Cotter Pyke. The only new Watchers we know will be in S5 so far are Denys Mallister and Bowen Marsh.

I think some people assumed that Derek Lord would be playing Cotter Pyke. I've checked his CV many time though between when we first learned he'd be in s5 and now and it's still not been updated beyond saying "casting in Game of Thrones season 5". All we really know is that he'll be a "military officer" of some sort, so he could be quite a few different characters really.

EDIT: Here we are, folks. 200 again. Seneti, could you do the honours?

Certainly :)

---

Alright folks, 200 pages = time for a new thread. I'm going to put it up now and if it's as fast as last time, it shouldn't take more than two minutes.

Thank you all for contributing to his thread. I'll see you all in v.7 :)

new pic from a night forest shoot they're doing this week:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/1669662_10154915332700010_8412159183351620179_o.jpg?oh=25a2001f43e030668548e7af260d3b3a&oe=547E0A90&__gda__=1417522971_3c4267cb68038c91f4d3087f71224061

to the right of the blue light is a hanging brown object that looks suspiciously like a noose.... #hopeforstoneheart

So the best part of ADWD/AFFC gets cut, wonderful.

Let's hope for season 6! The Northern part is so long and dispatched I'm not worried, I think Griff will come season 6 too. I'm more scared about Randyll Tarly and the Ironborn and the Riverlands. I would love some Manderly intro too!

Let's hope for season 6! The Northern part is so long and dispatched I'm not worried, I think Griff will come season 6 too. I'm more scared about Randyll Tarly and the Ironborn and the Riverlands. I would love some Manderly intro too!

The thread is over on version 7 now

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/121208-season-5-casting-news-and-speculation-v-7-show-spoilers-book-spoilers-past-op/

Archived