Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

I bet you Dillane scowls at them when he sees them a-tweeting. He doesn't go for such things.

:cool4:

^Ahem.

IT ISN'T FANFICTION WHEN GRRM'S GIVEN IT THE STAMP OF APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang:

I mean, just by definition. It's authorised, like it or not. As you were.

Haha, might as well go kick rocks.

I see people here still have hopes for Manderly and the Northern storyline.

The way I see it, it isn't happening.

They would not have a 'secret' Manderly casting. There is literally no reason why Manderly would be more of a 'secret' than Doran Martell. Likewise, GreatJon Umber isn't coming back either. Filming's nearly over now.

And 'Winterfell worker' is not fake Arya. It's just impossible that they would cast such an unknown actress in so pivotal a role. It's probably just a whore role or something minor.

The conclusion is obvious: They are writing fanfiction. Involving Theon, the Boltons, Myranda, and possibly Stannis and Yara.

We have already accepted that Dorne in the show will be a fanfiction involving Jaime, "Trystane"-Myrcella wuv and Sand Snake T & A.

Why would you expect Winterfell storyline to be following the books?

I don't think fArya is that big of a role, tbh. All we really need is someone to act traumatized while in the presence of Ramsay. I don't think she'll have many lines.

It is futile, you're right, Primus. But by R'hollor it fucking frustrates me.

One idea that I hate to see still floating around is that the Sand Snakes will all be naked all the time. Only Tyene will be partially naked and only once. If folks want to pre-emptively hate that storyline, FINE, but do it based on legit info not surmises and conjecture that are demonstrably goddamn false!

I don't think fArya is that big of a role, tbh. All we really need is someone to act traumatized while in the presence of Ramsay. I don't think she'll have many lines.

Exactly.

Not a big role, and she is possibly called "Winterfell Worker" because they aren't going to say "fake Arya" on casting sheets. There might not be a fArya, but with how close the actress is in appearance to Maisie I would not rule out her being there.

Manderly is a bit harder, but again, with showchanges it might not be such a big role - so might still be included. There will be no White Harbour, so Manderly, if included will only be at Winterfell. There, he would only need a scene to provoke Freys, and hopefully some sort of scene that makes the North Remembers speech possible in altered form. So maximum 2 episodes.

They have that new stand alone streaming service coming next year, but there's really no info on it.

If they take it into account for the numbers, I'd expect a huge jump in the number of people from last season.

+1-2 million views average per season thus far... so I'm going to venture to guess double that. Increase.

Benioff: But we can also veer around and have scenes where, for instance, just have scenes of characters who never interact in the books that we love, so, the scene between Bronn and the Hound meeting each other in a bar late at night. We were always kind of curious, weren't we? What happens if those two guys ran into each other at a bar?

Host: It's fanfiction.

Benioff: It's fanfiction, yeah it's exactly what it is.

Weiss: That's what we are.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=9101761

I'm not going to skip through that whole interview to hear their tone of voice when they said that but even if that aside from D and D wasn't in jest, the context of the remark is very different from how the term "fanfiction" is used by purists to put down invented show scenes. GrrM doesn't allow fanfiction, he has a low opinion of it and yet he's on the record as loving a lot of show-only scenes (like the Bronn/Hound scene that D and D refer to in that piece of audio). If GrrM is able to make that distinction, we should endeavor to as well.

When they're being modest maybe D and D would refer to themselves as only being fans but they're a lot more than that; they're the people that GrrM gave the rights to. He was courted by many writers and studios/networks but he chose them and HBO. I'm pretty sure he'd be the first to concede that that was a good choice on his part.

Btw GrrM's also mentioned specifically liking the Robert/Cersei sitdown and the Brienne/Hound duel. If Word of God means anything, consult it here...

Haha yeah I'd say it's a tie between Stannis/Jon and Sansa's arcs. I really like where that was going. It's crazy too because up until last Season, I'd say Sansa was one of my least favorite.

What about you guys and gals?

• Stannis stuff
  • Melisandre stuff (preferably not related to Jon stuff but that's a vain hope! Hopefully we'll at least get more info on what Mel is trying to do)
  • Cersei stuff (including Qyburn stuff!)
  • Theon stuff
  • Roose @ Winterfell! (Domestic Roose?!?!)
  • Yara stuff
  • Wherever Davos goes????
  • Petyr and Sansa (hur hur)
  • Jorah the Explorer

Unsure of Dorne rn but I think Alexander Siddig is wonderful so I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the role. And it will be great to see Ellaria Sand back

Right now looking at it from a book POV I'm /not/ really feeling plots relating to Jon (at least when Stannis is not involved), Dany, Arya and Brienne. And that probably seems like a lot considering they are such major characters. But they well be changed up (well at least one of them will anyway) and I could end up liking them.

Phew, think that's it!

I'm not going to skip through that whole interview to hear their tone of voice when they said that but even if that aside from D and D wasn't in jest, the context of the remark is very different from how the term "fanfiction" is used by purists to put down invented show scenes. GrrM doesn't allow fanfiction, he has a low opinion of it and yet he's on the record as loving a lot of show-only scenes (like the Bronn/Hound scene that D and D refer to in that piece of audio). If GrrM is able to make that distinction, we should endeavor to as well.

When they're being modest maybe D and D would refer to themselves as only being fans but they're a lot more than that; they're the people that GrrM gave the rights to. He was courted by many writers and studios/networks but he chose them and HBO. I'm pretty sure he'd be the first to concede that that was a good choice on his part.

Btw GrrM's also mentioned specifically liking the Robert/Cersei sitdown and the Brienne/Hound duel. If Word of God means anything, consult it here...

I'm sure there are scenes he doesn't like. In one of his interviews a while back he said that they were consulting him from time to time and sometimes he'd object to something they might listen but other times they just make the changes anyway.

I've noticed the "show is the show and book is the book" line peddled a lot more in the last year, probably realising that he has no hope in hell of finishing the books before the show. It must be strange to think someone else will get to finsh your story (or at least the main points of it) before you do, but he did sell the rights, he must have realised it was a possibility even if he didn't realise the show would get so close to him so soon. [insert gif of Scrooge McDuck swimming in his money]

I've seen it said regularly on forums and the like that soooo many other people could do a better job of adapting the books. I take all those claims with a bucket of salt.

Off topic, but stannisismyking, you should have a link to your tumblr as your signature. I can never find links to it but when I do, the drawings are great.

Well my tumblr is mostly fandom vitriol and personal trash, so I don't want to put it out there on every single post I make here. But if anyone is interested enough they'll find the link in my profile. I have a separate drawing blog but I reblog everything to my own anyway. Thanks for the kind words. I haven't drawn for a few weeks but last night I was drawing some Stannis-Justin-Asha shenanigans and I'll post it at the weekend. Justin Massey will have to live on in Manga Studio for now :bawl:

<The North is this guys

<Man, I loved that scene in 408 where Roose boasted matter-of-factly about it being his. 2015 will be the year of the Roose.

The Boltons need their own theme. The Starks, the Lannisters, Dany, Stannis and Littlefinger all have great themes, but where's the Bolton's theme? Get on it Ramin Djawadi.

Archived