[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

23 is the correct year. I guess technically Maegor was 11, not 13, when the betrothal was suggested, but we wanted to get the age across for when he did in fact marry in 25, so we'll put this down to some loose language from Yandel rather than an error.

23 is the correct year. I guess technically Maegor was 11, not 13, when the betrothal was suggested, but we wanted to get the age across for when he did in fact marry in 25, so we'll put this down to some loose language from Yandel rather than an error.

Thank you Ran.

Would you say then that, at least in history works as this book, when an age is stated for a character in a certain year, that's the age said character will turn that year? In other words, that Yandel didn't look at the timing of the nameday in the year, for characters?

So, to take Maegor as an example, Maegor would always be referenced to being 13 years old in 25 AC, no matter whether the event in question took place before or after Maegor's nameday in that year?

I do not think that Yandel looked to count up exact days and months between nameday and an event. Our own histories are riddled with questions about whether something happened in this year or in the year prior/following because of similar issues with medieval historians.

I think it's fair to say that Maegor would always have been called 13 years old in 25 AC if the maester knows he was born in 12 AC, except in those cases where his sources are clear that he was not-quite-13.

I wrote this on APOIAF after listening to Episode 158

"I had a query about the Blackwoods….the worldbook says that Black Aly is Benjicot’s sister but you guys said she was his aunt. I cross-checked with the MUSH and that appears to be the case there so has that now been revised? Same with Missy’s relationship to them (Benjicot’s daughter in the MUSH, his granddaugter stated in the episode)."

Rhaenys,

George, too, is unclear on this point.

KCenturion,

First is an error. Second is that we don't actually know which is correct, as George doesn't say, and for the purposes of our game we've made an assumption (and forgot what that assumption was on the podcast).

Thanks Ran!

Interesting that it is still a bit unclear, it makes me wonder.. :)

It seems to me, at least, that the SSM stating that Aegon was 12 to 14 months old during the Sack of KL no longer seems to be the case, right?

Rhaenys was born in 280 AC, the same year as Elia and Rhaegar got married, and thus, she should have been born in the final months of the year. If Rhaenys was truly three years old when she died (as is stated in the app), the Sack itself took place in one of the final months of the year as well, which basically would make Aegon a few months older than was previously (semi-canonically) stated.

Or is Rhaenys' age upon her death in the app a case of "she was born in 280 AC and died in 283 AC, so we say she was three years old when she died", as discussed above as Yandel did in his work?

In my first edition book, there is the sentence,

In 136 AC, Aemon followed. He was as robust as Aegon as an infant, and as beautiful to look upon, but his brothers faults were not in him. He proved the greatest jouster and swordsman of his agea knight worthy to bear Dark Sister.

But I found someone here post following sentence,

In 136 AC, Aemon followed. He was as robust as Aegon as an infant, and as beautiful to look upon, but his brothers faults were not in him. He proved the greatest jouster and swordsman of his agea knight worthy to bear Dark Sister which Prince Daemon, King Jaehaerys I, King Maegor I, and Queen Visenya had each borne before him.

Is it an updated Kindle edition?

Ran,

no inconsistency, but could you explain what 'proximity' means in the section on the Great Council of 101? Primogeniture in Laenor's advantage, but what exactly means 'proximity' in regards to the criteria that favor Viserys' claim? Does this refer to the fact that Viserys is 'closer related' to Jaehaerys due to the fact that Baelon and Alyssa are his parents (whereas Laenor and Rhaenys are only related to Jaehaerys through Prince Aemon), or does it refer to the fact that Viserys' father Baelon was the Hand and the chosen successor prior to his death (and was thus 'closer to the throne' than Rhaenys/Laenor ever were)?

Archived