[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

No one ever said Illyrio had made the statue when he was 16. It depicts him as a sixteen-year-old.

Actually Illyrio did.

Perhaps you chanced to glimpse the statue by my pool? Pytho Malanon carved that when I was six-and-ten.

In fact, this shows how Tyrion swallowed a glaring lie and did not even think about it.

To play devil's advocate: t only says that Illyrio was the model for it at 16, not that he had commissioned it then. It may have been something done for some other purpose , commissioned by someone else, that Illyrio later purchased when he had the wherewithal.

That would actually make a lot of sense. It would then by both a testament to youth and slender body as well as constant reminder that he could never have afforded such statue back then. I like that.

Unlike Lord Wyman, Illyrio is not that unhappy with the man he has become.

The idea that Illyrio was always aware of his (Blackfyre/Bittersteel/whatever) heritage is somewhat irritating anyway. He left the clue dangling there when he mentioned that he - presumably - still does not know why Varys teamed up with him, when in fact the reason why these two made a pact should be the core to understand what they are up to.

You really have to have something in common to make such a hideously convoluted, decade-spanning plan.

There were several loose ends on the Targaryen tree - mainly to do with children of the sons of Maekar who get passed over for Aegon V, as well as the twin daughters of Rhaena at the time of the Dance of Dragons. One of the latter was briefly Maegor's heir, it would have been satisfying to know what happened to them.

As I've said earlier, it is sort of hinted at either Rhaena or Aerea/Rhalla had some (more) children whose descendants were still alive at the Great Council.

There are nine lesser claimants discussed and dismissed before the big fish - Laenor and Viserys - enter the fold.

Nearly all children of Jaehaerys' would have been that by that point, with Gael being the last to die (Archmaester Vaegon being a possible exception - the fact that we learn virtually nothing about Alyssa Targaryen, the mother of Viserys and Daemon, also suggest that she was long dead by that point - that may corroborated by the fact that she is also not mentioned in TRP).

Saera could have been still be alive, but I'm not sure if the claim of the female proprietor of a brothel would have been even discussed.

An interesting thing would be if Corlys was a son of either Aerea or Rhalla (although that may not fit the time line considering the fact that Corlys was apparently born in 53 AC), or if Rhaena herself married Corlys' father. That could clearly explain why Rhaenys was later married to him instead of Viserys - to ensure that the elder line of Rhaena's would not become a problem.

There is also the possibility that either Aerea or Rhalla is an ancestor of Alyn Velaryon's unspecified 'cousin' Daeron Velaryon. The beauty of his daughter Daenaera seems to suggest that she had somewhat more Valyrian blood than a Velaryon from a cadet branch should actually have.

I'm inclined to believe that Dunk eventually married Egg's sister Daella, and that their daughter married into House Tarth, explaining that tidbit about the 'recent blood ties' between Houses Tarth and Targaryen, but that's purely speculation based on the fact that Daella is older than Egg.

No idea what happened to Rhae, though. Vaella the Simple most likely never married, but she may have lived a long and happy life until Summerhall. The fate of Prince Maegor remains a huge question mark, too. If he lived long enough and stayed in Westeros, Summerhall would have killed him, too.

If Maegor developed into some sort of weirdo, he may have become the famous Ape Prince Ser Axell was talking about. But it is still a stretch, he would have been not even thirty in 259 AC.

The only other Ape Prince candidate left is the mysterious Aegon Targaryen, the younger brother of Viserys I and Daemon, who is not mentioned in the text at all (nor in TRP). But this strongly suggests that he may have died as an infant or in childhood (perhaps killing his mother Alyssa at his birth?). But if he was the Ape Prince, then Gyldayn possibly would have detailed his fate only in passing, say, when he was born, as he most likely did never anything remarkable or interesting. Such a weirdo prince could have lived unmentioned throughout the second half of the reign of Jaehaerys I, and a good portion throughout that of Viserys I, despite the fact that he is never mentioned.

The criteria for this guy are pretty dead set. It must be a mildly mad prince, with a son who died, most likely in his youth, but possibly in childhood, who eventually dressed an ape in the clothes of that son.

[Assuming that Ser Axell did not pull this story out of his ass...]

Because she fell in love with him and Dunk saved everybody's ass during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion?

It would be a nice twist. Dunk is marrying the sister Egg eventually spurns. And things are already set for him to meet Betha for the first time in 'The Village Hero' - if the story takes place in Pennytree.

By the way: Any thoughts on the Rat, the Hawk, and the Pig? I get the feeling that those may turn out to be Dunk's old buddies from Flea Bottom... They were not mentioned in TMK just because they are fun (they aren't).

Eventually, yes. The book first mentions him as a KG knight in 236 AC, during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. Nobody ever said he joined the order in his youth. And we already know that Brienne is descended from him. At least it is heavily implied, and I don't see why the hell the Tarths should marry a bastard girl of a KG knight.

Dunk was clearly married at one point his life. After his wife died - and possibly only when Egg became king - he joined the KG.

Sure, it must not be Daella Targaryen, but it would be a very big coincidence if both either Daella or Rhae, and a child of Dunk's from another woman would marry into House Tarth - although not impossible by far.

Eventually, yes. The book first mentions him as a KG knight in 236 AC, during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. Nobody ever said he joined the order in his youth. And we already know that Brienne is descended from him. At least it is heavily implied, and I don't see why the hell the Tarths should marry a bastard girl of a KG knight.

Dunk was clearly married at one point his life.After his wife died - and possibly only when Egg became king - he joined the KG.

Sure, it must not be Daella Targaryen, but it would be a very big coincidence if both either Daella or Rhae, and a child of Dunk's from another woman would marry into House Tarth - although not impossible by far.

Or he simply had an affair with her.

I'm in the camp that dragons can't be skin change or at least not without consequences but it's going to be interesting to see if Dany's Blackwood heritage makes her bond to Drogon stronger then ever seen before.

That would be awesome. Also, it sort of cracked me up that Dany might have more First Men blood than the Stark children.

That's highly unlikely! Starks have been marring Northerners for centuries and most of them were First men descendants. Targs getting now and then a small portion of First Men's blood in their lineage is incomparable to Stark ancestry. More likely the mixture itself is more powerful, yes, look at Bloodraven.

By the way, this lineage does not include bastards at all? Except for Blackfyre. What about Aemon Targaryen and Alys Rivers' child? or other children of such couples?

Or he simply had an affair with her.

Then if they had a child it would be a bastard and it is hard to see how the Dunk/Rhae/Daella/Tarth would work.

And if there was no child it would be hard for a lowborn former hedge knight to survive sanction for desecrating a royal princess...especially if she was either betrothed or married.

That's highly unlikely! Starks have been marring Northerners for centuries and most of them were First men descendants. Targs getting now and then a small portion of First Men's blood in their lineage is incomparable to Stark ancestry. More likely the mixture itself is more powerful, yes, look at Bloodraven.

By the way, this lineage does not include bastards at all? Except for Blackfyre. What about Aemon Targaryen and Alys Rivers' child? or other children of such couples?

The current Stark children are half Tully and we don't know the family tree of the Blackwoods to claim that their ancestry is any less First Men than that of the Starks. Furthermore, Egg's father was married to a Dayne so she is inheriting First Men blood from both her great, greats.

There were several loose ends on the Targaryen tree - mainly to do with children of the sons of Maekar who get passed over for Aegon V,

This group if full of potential spoilers. Before tWoIaF came out, there were questions about:

Daeron the Drunken's lackwit daughter - we got a name, Vaella, no fate.

Aerion's son - we got a name, Maegor, no fate.

Egg's third son - we got a name, Daeron, and a fate, died childless in combat.

Daella (known to have issue) - no info, other than a possible Tarth marriage.

Rhae (known to have issue) - no info, other than a possible Tarth marriage.

Duncan and Jenny - no info on issue.

Theories abound on all of these, of course. I certainly didn't expect any of them to be debunked prior to tWoW. In fact, I thought the bottom end of the Targ family tree might be concealed in some way (inkblot, etc.) Instead, the loose ends are left hanging and that's fine with me.

I liked the Rhaegel descendants info, and was happily surprised to find out his previously unknown daughter Daenora was Aerion's wife (because that info tied up a loose end in a sensible way).

Archived