US Politics: midterm elections are nigh: do you know where your voting rights are?

DanteGabriel

Wait... how is Chicago fucked up? As a former 9-year resident, it's one of the nicest cities in the US. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not without it's problems and disenfranchised, but I don't know if any city in the world that can make that claim...

Also, most cities in the US are liberally governed, yet I don't see evidence for their catastrophic failures...

From princethatdunningkrugerpromised in the previous thread:

The Daily Tarheel link you posted is a dead link. So, probably need better proof than that.

The Newsmax article -- you need to do better than Newsmax. It's a garbage website. But here, I'll do you a favor, and click through to the Charlotte Observer link that was contained within your shithole Newsmax article.

I think that the Charlotte Observer's description of the possible voting fraud is pretty non-conclusive, possibly related to clerical errors, and in any case represents a pretty small number of cases. But yes, double-voting is bad, and we should try and stop the Republicans who keep doing it:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_21956171/silver-city-man-detained-after-attempting-test-voting

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Candidate-voted-twice-in-same-elections-records-3937458.php

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/nov/03/arrest-documents-detail-how-woman-allegedly-tried-/

Meanwhile, how do voter ID laws keep people from voting twice? If they're registered in two locations, but under their name... then they'd have an ID with that name, right?

I posted this before. Entitlements, unfunded pensions that the the city can't afford, huge debt due to spend sprees on the tax payer dime. Absolutely, gay rights has nothing to do with it. Financial policy. But that shouldn't have to be explained, it is known. But since they can't defend it, they act like those are thriving cities! Corruption was in both and is in Chicago's case very much a factor. But so is the party in powers policy.

OK. So in your mind pension plan problems (which is a state issue) put Chicago on par with Detroit? Have you ever even been to either of those cities?

Like I said, Chicago's not without it's problems, but it's also an amazingly clean city, with lots of job opportunities, huge growth, and a pretty darn good public transit system.

And you act like both it and Detroit are in the same league? Seriously, what kind of crack are you smoking?

OK. So in your mind pension plan problems (which is a state issue) put Chicago on par with Detroit? Have you ever even been to either of those cities?

Like I said, Chicago's not without it's problems, but it's also an amazingly clean city, with lots of job opportunities, huge growth, and a pretty darn good public transit system.

And you act like both it and Detroit are in the same league? Seriously, what kind of crack are you smoking?

Detroit started the same way

More? These are the first examples you have linked and as suspected it is abundantly clear you have not a damn clue as to what you are talking about.

1. Your first link is broken.

2. The much derided "zombie voter" claims have been debunked repeatedly. Including already in this thread. What were you telling someone earlier? "Just read the thread".?

The Facts

The State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) conducted an extensive probe, which was completed May 11, 2012. But the final report was just made public this month after a 13-month review by Wilson’s office. In fact, the report was only released after Corey Hutchins of the Columbia (S.C.) Free Times submitted an open records request under the Freedom of Information Act. He received the report the day before the 4th of July holiday — perfect timing for news designed to be buried.

It turns out the claims of 953 votes by dead people actually involved not one election but 74 elections over a seven-year period.

So SLED’s investigation centered on 207 votes that allegedly were made by dead people in the Nov. 2, 2010 election — when a total of 1,365,480 votes were cast — after officials concluded that that batch constituted a “representative sampling” of the alleged voting irregularities. (Note that the number of alleged dead votes was less than 2/10,000th of all of the votes cast in that election.)

The report confirms what the State Election Commission had found after preliminarily examining some of the allegations: The so-called votes by dead people were the result of clerical errors or mistaken identities.

For instance, sometimes a son had the same name as a deceased father, and poll workers mixed up a dead father with a living son. (This happened 92 times in the initial probe, and then further investigation found seven more examples.)

In 56 cases, there was “bad data matching,” in which the DMV records had the Social Security of a dead person associated with a living voter. The living voter — with a different name and birth date — properly cast a ballot. Thirty-two votes attributed to dead people were simply the result of too-sensitive scanners.

In one case, someone cast an absentee ballot before dying; their vote still counts under the law. In two other cases, people requested an absentee ballot, but died before returning it, so no harm was done. In other cases, the wrong voter was marked as having cast a vote, and then the marks were not completely erased. There were several other types of clerical errors, too numerous to mention. In the end, just five votes remained unresolved after extensive investigation.

Let me know when Chicago has it's next race riots and implosion. Especially since it just had it's lowest murder rate in years. I was born in the D (the real city), and live both there and in Chicago for at least ten years. I sort of doubt you've been within 20 miles of either.

So has your position shifted from "liberal policies have fucked Detroit and Chicago" to "liberal policies have fucked Detroit, and Chicago is a great place with some problems, which used to be how you could describe Detroit at one point" ? Because those are two very different positions.

If anything "fucked" Detroit, it's the dramatic decline in high paying, secure working-class manufacturing jobs in America - the same as any "rust belt" city in the country. The reason for that decline isn't "liberal policies" but the ability of capital to relocate manufacturing abroad and pay foreign workers pennies on the dollar. If any policies have hastened this process, it's the American commitment to "free trade" - which was one of the cornerstones of the alliance between centrist Clintonian Democrats and the Republican party.

More? These are the first examples you have linked and as suspected it is abundantly clear you have not a damn clue as to what you are talking about.

1. Your first link is broken.

2. The much derided "zombie voter" claims have been debunked repeatedly. Including already in this thread. What were you telling someone earlier? "Just read the thread".?

https://www.rnla.org/votefraud.asp here another

Care to respond to the very thorough debunking of your previous bullshit claim first? Or have you already forgotten you were wrong about something? Because asking us to take seriously something from the Republican National Lawyers Association is a big whopper from someone who has shown no ability to process contradicting information.

Care to respond to the very thorough debunking of your previous bullshit claim first? Or have you already forgotten you were wrong about something? Because asking us to take seriously something from the Republican National Lawyers Association is a big whopper from someone who has shown no ability to process contradicting information.

How about you address the first case in the link provided? You won't because you can't. And if anyone has been debunked it's suttree, who insists voter fraud doesn't exist. So wrong but just can face it

Lol. You are a total joke. In tptwp's world notice of an investigation "launching", allegations of and referrals from voter boards to request information posted on a RPNLA website equates to proven voter fraud. Hey prince, how did that SC investigation with the zombie voters turn out. The facts remain there has never, ever been a proven case of widespread voter fraud in the US. It's astonishing but somehow you keep raising the bar.

How about you address the first case in the link provided? You won't because you can't. And if anyone has been debunked it's suttree, who insists voter fraud doesn't exist. So wrong but just can face it

You mean the dead link from the Daily Tarheel? Or the one that Suttree posted a second debunking of, in post 8 of this thread?

I am starting to think you are a very dedicated performance artist, or a false-flagger trying to make ignorant credulous Limbaughites look worse than they already do.

You mean the dead link from the Daily Tarheel? Or the one that Suttree posted a second debunking of, in post 8 of this thread?

I am starting to think you are a very dedicated performance artist, or a false-flagger trying to make ignorant credulous Limbaughites look worse than they already do.

This one

Lol. You are a total joke. In tptwp's world notice of an investigation "launching", allegations of and referrals from voter boards to request information posted on a RPNLA website equates to proven voter fraud. Hey prince, how did that SC investigation with the zombie voters turn out. The facts remain there has never, ever been a proven case of widespread voter fraud in the US. It's astonishing but somehow you keep raising the bar.

Now, now. You said I couldn't prove it exists. Well... I did. Not you say wide spread! Who's raising the bar?

This one

So one Democratic state official is being tried for voter fraud. Looks like she was caught falsifying her address, so as far as I can tell the system is working. What is your point? And how would voter ID laws have stopped someone who filed to vote in multiple precincts?

Now, care to address your twice-debunked bullshit post about the "zombie voter" conspiracy that didn't exist? Or are you just pretending that anything that proves your posts wrong never existed?

@tptwp

You really need to go back and read what has been posted.

Look, here is alittle help in order for you to get up to speed.

1. The simple version.

2. Since you clearly didn't read it, here is the academic research on the topic.

Because there is more than enough evidence to make TM's statement go well beyond "opinion".

A good one to focus on in the links above is the authoritative study debunking the myth from the Brennan Center at NYU law school.

The most common example of the harm wrought by imprecise and inflated claims of “voter fraud” is the call for in-person photo identification requirements. Such photo ID laws are effective only in preventing individuals from impersonating other voters at the polls — an occurrence more rare than getting struck by lightning.

Now, now. You said I couldn't prove it exists.

You didn't even read your own link did you?

& one last time from Ini

Voter ID is literally a solution proven not to work to a problem proven not to exist.

Archived