Does Samwell Tarly ever get on anybody elses nerves?

Haven19

I actually like Sam so whether or not you like him too doesn't matter, I just want to know if he ever gets on your nerves. His cowardice is a bit extreme. Like (AFFC Ch. 5 Spoiler) his command to go to Oldtown, Sam just starts babbling looking for something to be afraid of, he just makes fears up in his head lol, since when does he care what his father wants? He doesn't even serve him anymore (if ever he did). He just looks for things to be afraid of. And when Black Jack Bulwer & Kedge Whiteye made a bet hat they'd have to carry Sam out from under his bed crying, I understood clearly why his brothers have no respect for him, it's not because they're bullies, it's because He doesn't even try, he's too lazy & scared to work hard to get better at things or face ridiculous fears. And I know he killed an Other, but in real life I would've found that unrealistic.. Though Sam said it best, he didn't kill the other, the dragonglass did. (Btw can anyone here actually picture Small Paul carrying this meatball on his back through the snow for hours as Sam cries hysterically, only for Sam to slay the other after it killing Small Paul? Realistically, Sam would've pooped his pants & passed out to eventually die.

Hes not as annoying as sansa, but there are times when I want to yell at him "nut up or shut up". but for the most part I like his character. Hes got such a good heart I forgive the moments when I want to shake him.

Ditto. I'm glad he's been put in a position where he strengths can be brought to the fore rather then his weaknesses, so I don't have to deal with his self torture/underwear soiling fear constantly.

We've been talking about a similar concept on the Arianne reread thread. (plug!) I don't really have time to get into it fully but basically: GRRM is very good at giving each separate POV a distinct voice but the "problem" (it's not a problem really, just a thing that exists) is that everything is so influenced by the characters own self-concept and that we, the readers, tend to believe them.

Sam sees himself as a weak, useless, coward. He's been told that so many times by his horrible, violent, abusive, rape apologist father that he completely believes it himself. He's in all these crazy situations fighting monsters and what not and the second he feels a twinge of PERFECTLY REASONABLE mortal terror he tells himself: "I'm such a craven, I'm useless" usually while doing something that is neither.

He never once loses his compassion for others, he does what he has to when he needs to, from stabbing the Other, to leading Gilly thorough the wilderness (seriously, that was an amazing achievement), to standing up to the high officers to get Jon elected, to keeping it together on the way to Oldtown, his actions say he's compassionate, has a strong sense of morals, is persistent, and always willing to do the right thing.

I think Sam has been getting over his fears too, he seems to know his own strength a bit more now. Take for instance when he fought off Small Paul, the same dude that carried him, that dude was big. Then was Dareon got out of line Sam just attacked him and didn't even really think about it, probably because he knew deep down he was much bigger and stronger than him. Then we hear about him loosing a good amount of weight from rowing every day and eating only fish.

I thought to myself how I'd have handled Samwell if I was his father or 1 of the people he hired to toughen him up and I realized I'd of had him do things like that, walk/jog to a river, help hoist big things out of boats, swim, then to end the day chop some wood to get him use to an axe, once he's comfortable with the axe and in better shape you go from there.

Its pretty hard to not gain confidence in yourself when you get into better shape.

Then we hear about him loosing a good amount of weight from rowing every day and eating only fish.

Really? I don't remember reading that he had lost weight. Can you remember the chapter? I know he worked hard when he was on the swan boat, but I didn't notice that he had lost weight.

My man problem with Sam is that, when Jon Snow sees him, he describes him as being the fattest boy he's ever seen. It seems like everyone we see someone fat, they are the "fattest person I've ever seen." (e.g. Cat with the Manderley boys). Where are the medium fat people?

I can't remember a specific chapter no but it would be 1 of his last chapters in Feast, I believe its when he is getting off the Cinnamon Wind, so I think that's his last chapter. He's still big, but definitely comments on having lost weight. Actually I believe the exchange is with the captains daughter because she jokes that Gilly can stay as long as she wants since she does not take up as much space and does not eat as much and Sam responds "I'm not as big as I was" and she agrees.

Archived