Does Samwell Tarly ever get on anybody elses nerves?

Haven19

He redeemed himself when he became Sam the Slayer and banged Gilly. If he hadn't banged Gilly, he would have lost me.

LOL! Oh Gosh, that definitely is true. He gets Brownie points there for sure. But still though, LionOfTheWest & Sarah.Jenice summed up my biggest problem with Sam perfectly. The whining cowardice has gotten very old already, Sam has seen and gone through SO much, and he still thinks like that. I love him though, I really do.

Sam is ten years older than Sansa? Is he not the same age as Jon?Second, Sam is definitely the more intelligent of the two. He's not only bookish or book smart, he's more than that. He can connect the dots. When Mormont makes Jon a steward, Sam can hypothesize as to the reasons for that decision. When he plays the crows against each other in order to get Jon elected as lord commander, that shows a shrewdness of mind and an ability to play the game. No one taught him to do that.Sansa on the other hand, has an inability to think. For some reason, despite living in Westeros and in the harsh North, she believes that fairy tales happen in real life. She sees people behaving in dishonorable ways and continues to think they are honorable. She betrays her father and sister to further her own position. That betrayal played a role in her getting stuck at KL.In the first book, Sam lands at the end of the world (The watch) with the rest of the rapists and murderers after his father dumps him there for not conforming to society's ideals. Sansa meanwhile lands in KL as the beautiful, spoiled daughter of the hand of the king, conforming to what she thinks is the right way of society. Sam, at the end of the book, is part of the group that dissuades Jon from deserting. Sansa on the other hand stupidly and selfishly betrays her family and gets taken prisoner. I don't see similarities.There's not much of Sam in the second book except for him trying to help Gilly. But most of Sam's story is him trying to use his wits to help the folks around him. He plays an active role in shaping events and moving the story in a particular story. He stopped Jon from desertion. He made Jon LC of the Watch. And he is finally at Old Town where he may have a more important role to play.In 5 books Sansa has yet to do anything of her own accord or due to her own thinking except for the one instance of when she went behind Ned's back and tattled to Cersei.So, again, I think that they are very different characters, with different motivations, situations and upbringings. The only similarity between them maybe that they are underdogs with Sansa being a woman in Westeros and Sam being a fat, nonathletic person. But in which case we could find similarities between them and a whole lot of other underdogs: Jon the bastard who was at the watch on account of his low birth, Arya the girl who could never fit in anywhere, Tyrion who was hated by his father for being a dwarf etc.

Well-said, mate. As for Sam being annoying, fat pink mast anyone?

Really? I don't remember reading that he had lost weight. Can you remember the chapter? I know he worked hard when he was on the swan boat, but I didn't notice that he had lost weight.

My man problem with Sam is that, when Jon Snow sees him, he describes him as being the fattest boy he's ever seen. It seems like everyone we see someone fat, they are the "fattest person I've ever seen." (e.g. Cat with the Manderley boys). Where are the medium fat people?

Remember when his sword belt kept slipping off?

Wasn't 'cause he'd gotten fatter.

No, in fact, they are very similar.

First, Sam is almost ten years older than Sansa and he's bookish. Sansa, otoh, has been well educated in what is expected of a Lady, but that doesn't mean she won't eventually learn better things.

And two, Sam's situations is what it is because he couldn't fulfil his role as a suitable heir. Instead of defying his father or proved him wrong, he had to accept what he told him to do, going to the Wall or die. That's not different from Sansa's own situation, as she was threatened to get married against her will and she had no other option.

Maximum age difference under 4 years. He gets sent to the wall right after his 15th name day, meanwhile we know Jon's 15th name day has just gone past because Benjen was supposed to have been back in time for it and is now overdue. And Jon was only 2 or 3 years older than Sansa.

• 5 weeks later...

How can he be annoying. It may be that the big twist is that the Craven on the series is AAR. At oldtown he will figure out the secret of the dragonglass candles. He'll figure out that Dragonsteel is an alloy of Valyrian steel and dragonglass and reforge lightbringer using Heartsbane the Tarly family Valyrian sword.

For sure, especially when his life at Horn Hill was described.

I mean sure his dad was an asshole, but come on Sam!

Don't just waltz around singing poetry and eating lemon cakes all day!

I would have more respect for him if he you know, tried to do sword fighting or archery on his own initiative, if only because his father cared about such things so much.

The description of him almost sounds like a charicature of a relationship between a fat, wimpy kid, and his aggressive, hyper masculine father who demands he be a football/baseball player.

Randyll actually reminds me of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer's father Donner, on Crack

Archived