Why do people watch this?

NickGOT456

I confess to watching some Ancient Aliens recently, and it's fantastic. Just so bizarre and off the wall. I'd guess thats why people watch sharknado and stuff, so wierdly bad it's funny.

I unabashedly love Ancient Aliens.

Not a fan of the Sharknado stuff, though. The first and second were Twitter phenomena so that's where they really get their juice - folks livetweeting and cracking wise on the campy nonsense.

It's not like Sharknado was the first of these that SyFy has done: they've always done these terrible B-movies. Even when they weren't a laughingstock (read: when BS:G aired) they still had this stuff going on. There's definitely room on the channel for both, as I've got extremely high hopes for The Expanse.

It would be cool if HBO or AMC (or whatever high quality network) picked up a solid sci-fi show. Something in the vein of Mass Effect or Firefly.

It'll come. Like I say, there's lots of SF on the slate in the next few years, and if it's even slightly successful, those two will be looking at getting something out too.

SyFy are, as well as the Ascension thing I linked to and The Expanse, producing a six-hour miniseries of Childhood's End (with Charles Dance!), so they've clearly decided the move away from the genre isn't working and started to take it seriously again. And SpikeTV are doing Red Mars, which is a good gamble for a channel trying to earn a better rep - big enough to draw in viewers on its name, not so big that it'll alienate too many people if they mess it up. And there's this

thing that BitTorrent, of all people, are making (hella ambitious project- the pilot will be free but used to crowdfund the rest of the series if 250,000 people like it enough to kick in ten dollars).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=121521

http://www.tvguide.com/news/sharknado-2-ratings-1085130.aspx

Seriously why do people watch this crap? Don't these people realize they're killing sci fi? What SyFy needs is a high quality space opera not a crappy B movie! Are American TV viewers brain dead?

How can SyFy kill something that's already dead?

Not to mention these b-type movies make them money to fund more polished products. So I don't see an issue.

But yeah..stoopid Amuricans.

Watch shows from you own fucking country then, retard, or stfu.

Watch shows from you own fucking country then, retard, or stfu.

The ability to understand sarcasm is strong with this one. Good luck on your short stay on the board. I look forward to your alt.

Oh and by the way America is "my own fucking country" but I tend to watch whatever I enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Archived