Why is Tyrion everybody's favorite?

Onime

Meh Cerseis POV is more entertaining imo

I thought about that before I posted it... I guess I'm torn between the two, but at their very best I think it goes to Tyrion. At their very worse, it's a toss up but Cersei I guess is funnier at those times.

He is not my favorite or even close to it, However I don't mind him, he is funny and witty though

If you speak to many show only watchers then yes, he is probably the most popular due to him being heavily whitewashed. However over here people are kinda divided how they feel about him some like him as a character but not as a person, some despise him, its like that with most characters

"Against them (The Young Wolf and Lord Stannis) I have all the power of House Lannister. Against Jaime or my father, I have no more than a twisted back and a pair of stunted legs."

Tyrion, in Clash, trying to explain things to Shae

Those who are convinced that Tyrion could make Sansa's life perfect with just a snap of his fingers and that it is only spite and meanness which keep him from doing so would do well to re-read the lines above as many times as necessary until the truth of them sinks in.

And where were they planning to go once they got up with Dany?

Do you think they'd have been content to hang around Mereen?

This way they arrive in Westeros *without* any dragons or Dothraki or Unsullied, et cetera.

If I were Tommen I'd prefer them that way to the alternative.

So Tommen needed a invasion force heading to him while others scratched at him from all over? Aegon would have been stuck East cutting his way through Dany's enemies.

Those who are convinced that Tyrion could make Sansa's life perfect with just a snap of his fingers and that it is only spite and meanness which keep him from doing so would do well to re-read the lines above as many times as necessary until the truth of them sinks in.

I am convinced he broke his word and had Sansa marry him to get her brother's land, he could have said no, but he did not.

I am convinced he broke his word and had Sansa marry him to get her brother's land, he could have said no, but he did not.

What part of "by the time Jaime got back to KL, Tywin was there, and running things, and intended to force Sansa to marry someone named Lannister and there was nothing Tyrion could do to prevent that" is escaping your notice?

Remember when King Joffrey says "I'm your father today...and I can marry you to whoever I like. To anyone. You'll marry the pig boy if I say and bed down with him in the sty."?

They needed neither her permission nor her co-operation.

Name one character in the books who successfully defied Tywin.

Shall I hum a few bars of "The Rains of Castamere" while you think it over?

What part of "by the time Jaime got back to KL, Tywin was there, and running things, and intended to force Sansa to marry someone named Lannister and there was nothing Tyrion could do to prevent that" is escaping your notice?

Remember when King Joffrey says "I'm your father today...and I can marry you to whoever I like. To anyone. You'll marry the pig boy if I say and bed down with him in the sty."?

They needed neither her permission nor her co-operation.

Name one character in the books who successfully defied Tywin.

Shall I hum a few bars of "The Rains of Castamere" while you think it over?

What part of he married her instead of bringing up at all he promised Cat escape you?

How is Sansa being forced to marry have anything to do with Tyrion ability to say no?

Jaime.

Why do you bring in the Castameres? He is no kinslayer.

What part of he married her instead of bringing up at all he promised Cat escape you?

How is Sansa being forced to marry have anything to do with Tyrion ability to say no?

Jaime.

Why do you bring in the Castameres? He is no kinslayer.

He sent word via Cleos that he would return her daughters if she returned Jaime.

She never did. She sent him out, but she didn't get him there safely. So Cat broke her side of the deal by not sending a large enough force to get Jaime safely to KL. So that means he is not obligated to do anything about Cat's daughters.

By the time Jaime finally gets there, Tyrion has been wounded in battle and awakens to find himself ousted from the handship by Tywin.

Any power he had previously to return Cat's daughters evaporated when Tywin rode into town.

By the way, since Sansa is going to be forced, by Tywin, and, by extension, by the king, to marry a Lannister, and Tyrion is going to be forced to marry someone for political gain, why is Sansa any worse off married to Tyrion than to any other Lannister?

What makes any of the other Lannisters better persons than Tyrion?

And if Sansa didn't want him, why didn't she choose Lancel when given the opportunity?

He sent word via Cleos that he would return her daughters if she returned Jaime.

She never did. She sent him out, but she didn't get him there safely. So Cat broke her side of the deal by not sending a large enough force to get Jaime safely to KL. So that means he is not obligated to do anything about Cat's daughters.

By the time Jaime finally gets there, Tyrion has been wounded in battle and awakens to find himself ousted from the handship by Tywin.

Any power he had previously to return Cat's daughters evaporated when Tywin rode into town.

By the way, since Sansa is going to be forced, by Tywin, and, by extension, by the king, to marry a Lannister, and Tyrion is going to be forced to marry someone for political gain, why is Sansa any worse off married to Tyrion than to any other Lannister?

What makes any of the other Lannisters better persons than Tyrion?

And if Sansa didn't want him, why didn't she choose Lancel when given the opportunity?

And before he even got his brother he married her daughter.

She sent him with a guard, she kept her word.

And somehow his magic ability to speak and remind the council of his oath.

Tyrion wasn't forced, he wasn't.

Because promised to return her and he instead married her.

Welcome to the forums Onime!

First off he's a huge symbol for self-acceptance and positive self-esteem. In the way that he accepts his faults (his dwarfism, his ugliness etc.) and tries to turn them into advantages for himself. He is (well, was mostly) an internally powerful character. Plus his blunt, dead honesty, which is what made me like him in the first place. He's almost like the George Carlin of Westeros. Also his wit and intelligence. He really does prove that the mind indeed is the deadliest of all weapons. Arguably, he's the most entertaining POV in all of the books (followed by or perhaps tied with Cersei)

Now for all the bad things he has done, some are justifiable (such as threatening to whip Tommen, making some singer stew, killing Tywin etc.), but most aren't. Most of the awful things he did are in DWD, which you could potentially put the blame on the PTSD, but even I won't deny that he did become a huge asshole. I suppose you can say this was the darkest part of Tyrion's arc (here's to hoping we get the old him in WoW). But honestly, all of those flaws make much more of an interesting character. I wouldn't say I really like him at the moment as a person, but certainly as a character.

Positive self-esteem and self-acceptance? I disagree pretty strongly. I think that Tyrion is motivated perhaps primarily by the sense that everyone hates him because he's a dwarf.

Much like Cersei this is mostly a convenient way to avoid the reality that a lot of people hate him for who he really is.

That said I think this is one of the more interesting aspects of his character that GRRM explores, and he is clearly not the fool Cersei is.

He's one of my favorite characters because he got dealt a horrible hand. I mix up the book and shows sometimes but in at least one Tywin said he almost admires his perseverance to not die. I know he does some bad things but they aren't as bad as Tywin, LF, or Ramsey so I almost seem to overlook them.

The man has lived quite a horrible life and has had a lot of traumatic moments. Yet he still does have a good and kind side. It makes me want to root for him.

Positive self-esteem and self-acceptance? I disagree pretty strongly. I think that Tyrion is motivated perhaps primarily by the sense that everyone hates him because he's a dwarf.

Much like Cersei this is mostly a convenient way to avoid the reality that a lot of people hate him for who he really is.

That said I think this is one of the more interesting aspects of his character that GRRM explores, and he is clearly not the fool Cersei is.

I don't understand how him being motivated because everyone else hates him is bad. I mean, for there to be self-acceptance or understanding of your flaws, there has to be prejudice or criticism by others. It's not like from the beginning of the series he started by grabbing a crossbow and mindlessly killing everyone who looked down on him (no pun intended). If nobody hated Tyrion for his dwarfism, he wouldn't need to have those qualities. Could you elaborate on your statement?

"Lord Stark asked for his sisters and his father's sword as well," Ser Cleos reminded him.

..."Ice," said Tyrion. "He'll have that when he makes his peace with us, not before."

"As you say. And his sisters?"

Tyrion glanced toward Sansa, and felt a stab of pity as he said, "Until such time as he frees my brother, Jaime, unharmed*, they shall remain here as hostages. How well they are treated depends on him."

*(emphasis mine)

That was what Tyrion offered Robb, not Catelyn, as part of an overall package of peace terms that began with these words...

"Here are our terms," said Tyrion. "Robb Stark must lay down his sword, swear fealty, and return to Winterfell. He must free my brother unharmed,* and place his host under Jaime's command, to march against the rebels Renly and Stannis Baratheon...."

*(there's that word again)

There was never any promise to Catelyn, the swap of Jaime for the girls was part of a larger package that was never brought to fruition, and Cat sent Jaime with insufficient protection, which resulted in the loss of his hand, which negates the "unharmed" part, in addition to Robb's troops not being handed over to Jaime's command.

So, no, Tyrion did not make a promise to Catelyn, nor did he break it.

Archived