Video Game Culture VII: it's really about Ethics in Game Journalism

Ser Scot A Ellison

Nestor's post at the end of last thread:

Sarkeesian: Certain videogames perpetuate misogynistic stereotypes about women.

#Gamergate: I'm going to rape you to death and drink the blood out of your cunt*

*because of ethics in gaming journalism

Mainstream Media: Looks like the "gamer" subculture has a problem with misogyny

Concern Troll: Whose to say whether anyone ever had a point about anything? Everyone is equally wrong and we should probably talk about something else.

Don't forget the True Scotsman: "The rape-threateners are not representative of the #arglebargle movement, but the anti-#arglebarglers people who argue against the rape-threateners are all filthy horrible people who doxx and harass innocents and no one condemns them."

Gamer Gaters are still whining everywhere about the Polygon review of Bayonetta 2 unfairly dragging its Metacritic score down. That's downright hilarious. When will they get that even if we assume the Polygon rating was 2 full points lower due the sexist elements, it still lowers the Metacritic score by about 0.5 (out of 100). Maybe 0.75 if Polygon's reviews are weighted way higher than most.

They're not quotes. They're paraphrases. Except, actually, for the threat that Sarkeesian received, which is such a close paraphrase that it's almost a quote.

So I'm guessing you took the liberty of casting me as the "concern troll" in your fictional play?

What's the actual quote that you are paraphrasing Sarkeesians words from?

I figured as much since you quoted my post, but your script for me was nothing even close to paraphrasing my words.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paraphrase

I'm confused.

When you say "The sad thing is if Anita ever had a legit point in her rants, it's lost and long gone" are you not declaring yourself an agnostic as to whether Sarkeesian actually raised any meritorious issues or points with her videos? Are you not simply throwing up your hands and saying "whose to say whether she actually had a point or not?"

And when you say "The whole thing is a circus of douchebags, myself included" are you not saying that both the "pro" and "anti" "gamgergate" positions have engaged in roughly equivalent douchebaggery? Or, as one might paraphrase, that both sides are equally wrong?

Because from where I'm sitting, it seems like a startling accurate paraphrase of your position.

That's been my biggest concern from the start is the threats, that's terrible. I know what it's like to get threats.

A cross was burned in my yard as a child.

However, I don't think that makes her automatically be right about something because she got threats.

I'm confused.

When you say "The sad thing is if Anita ever had a legit point in her rants, it's lost and long gone" are you not declaring yourself an agnostic as to whether Sarkeesian actually raised any meritorious issues or points with her videos? Are you not simply throwing up your hands and saying "whose to say whether she actually had a point or not?"

And when you say "The whole thing is a circus of douchebags, myself included" are you not saying that both the "pro" and "anti" "gamgergate" positions have engaged in roughly equivalent douchebaggery? Or, as one might paraphrase, that both sides are equally wrong?

Because from where I'm sitting, it seems like a startling accurate paraphrase of your position.

Then you should probably stop paraphrasing people since you are so bad at it.

Just stick to direct quotes.

And while you are at it, probably don't call them trolls either.

That's been my biggest concern from the start is the threats, that's terrible. I know what it's like to get threats.

However, I don't think that makes her automatically be right about something because she got threats.

That's true. In this case, though...

A lot of us do think she's right in her critiques though. A lot of game developers agree with her too. I know a lot of them.

You disagree with Sarkeesian, that's fine. But why are you here trying to put her making critiques about misogyny in games on the same level as people threatening awful sexualized violence against her?

Then you should probably stop paraphrasing people since you are so bad at it.

Just stick to direct quotes.

And while you are at it, probably don't call them trolls either.

Oh, I thought Nestor's paraphrase was reasonably representative too. Maybe you could work on your communication skills if that's not the message you were trying to convey. But I get it -- you're the real victim here, right?

A lot of us do think she's right in her critiques though. A lot of game developers agree with her too. I know a lot of them.

You disagree with Sarkeesian, that's fine. But why are you here trying to put her making critiques about misogyny in games on the same level as people threatening awful sexualized violence against her?

I'm not doing that.

In the interview, there was a total of about 10 seconds dedicated to the threats.

The rest was not about threats.

How can you say that eyenon15 disagrees with Sarkeesian? All he's ever said is that "if" she had a "legit point" in her "rants" that those points are lost to an endless circle of douchebaggery.

Certainly, you cannot infer that his refusal to take a position implies that he disagrees with her.

Nor can you infer that his referring to Sarkeesian's videos as "rants" implies that he disagrees with her.

You see, words only denote things in eyenon's world. They never connote things.

Oh, I thought Nestor's paraphrase was reasonably representative too. Maybe you could work on your communication skills if that's not the message you were trying to convey. But I get it -- you're the real victim here, right?

You thought wrong too.

I mean if we are allowed to call each other names and criticize each others "skills" on here we can go down that road but I thought that kind of thing was frowned upon.

I am sure eyenon was simply making a profound point about the futility of modern life, and none of us douchebags in this circus are smart enough to divine it through the imperfect medium of the English language. If we could merely cut through the interference of language to touch the perfect understanding he possesses, we would ascend to Gaming Nirvana and no longer worry about ranting attention-seekers and the misunderstood gamers who sink to Sarkeesian's level.

You thought wrong too.
I mean if we are allowed to call each other names and criticize each others "skills" on here we can go down that road but I thought that kind of thing was frowned upon.

Whatevs. We're all just a circus of douchebags and no one can understand anyone else anyway, right, bro?

Funnily enough I understood "whatever point" Sarkeesian has been making pretty quickly and easily, so maybe she's a little further along in this "using language to communicate thoughts" thing than you are.

Archived