What if Catelyn had said Hi and Goodbye to Tyrion at the crossroads inn

Poppa Chase

Instead of arresting him and heading into the vale She just goes back to winterfell while tyrion goes his own way. From there what changes?

I don't think that's possible without changing her entire personality so that she doesn't care about her children, which would probably result in her not going south in the first place.

I assume the OP means that she said "goodbye" whilst plunging a dagger in Tyrion's black heart. Then went back to Winterfell.

Would Lord Tywin have attacked the Riverlands then? I think not. Because now it's Catelyn Stark who has killed a Lannister, and she's back in the North, instead of it being the two Tully girls who are keeping his son imprisoned.

As far as the plot goes, very little. Ned still discovers the twincest, gets betrayed and arrested, the North rebels, the Tullys join them, Renly and Stannis act the same way, etc.

I assume the OP means that she said "goodbye" whilst plunging a dagger in Tyrion's black heart. Then went back to Winterfell.

Would Lord Tywin have attacked the Riverlands then? I think not. Because now it's Catelyn Stark who has killed a Lannister, and she's back in the North, instead of it being the two Tully girls who are keeping his son imprisoned.

Perhaps Tyrion is in King's Landing when it happens, and can moderate Joffrey and Cersei's dumb moves.

However, if Tyrion is not captured, Tywin would not have cause to call his banners and attack the Riverlands.

As well, Jaime is still in King's Landing and Ned is not attacked and debilatated by injury. Perhaps Robert does not go hunting after that.

Actually, truth be told, if Robert and Ned have their agument about Dany, and Ned resigns, without Cat having seized Tyrion, there's a strong chance Ned just goes home to Winterfell.

Littlefinger would take him to visit Barra, and then he leaves the brothel, and then ... nothing.

A second "however": If Cat does not seize Tyrion, then Yoren does not race to the capital to tell Ned, and does not interrupt as Arya's telling him about Varys and Illyrio plotting, and the message about the wolf and lion going to war sinks in a bit better. If Arya's warning is taken seriously, then maybe Ned does stay, and find out the incest secret, but is more cautious - perhaps contacting / warning Stannis, or Renly, or Barristan. Perhaps saving Robert's life, at least until after the real stakes in his investigation were better known?

Hell with it - the whole plot would be different from that point on.

The charges against Tyrion would still go about only Tyrion would not be able to be held in court as he is somewhere in the riverlands. Ned still finds out the twincest and tells Robert before leaving. Cersei's head is on a spike and Jaime kingslays part II. Stannis is heir, everyone revolts when Stannis immediately doles out punishment for every crime and slight for the last 20 years. Tywin becomes King of the West fighting in the riverlands against the North and crown, Highgarden still sides with Renly while the Vale and Dorne bury their heads in the sand. Balon still revolts against the whole world for no reason and no chance.

The war would still break out. It was being orchestrated long before this instance. Cersei would still kill Robert via Lancel and wine. Ned would still find out about the incest and confront Cersei. Littlefinger would still be conspiring against both sides, and Ned would still die.

The charges against Tyrion would still go about only Tyrion would not be able to be held in court as he is somewhere in the riverlands. Ned still finds out the twincest and tells Robert before leaving. Cersei's head is on a spike and Jaime kingslays part II. Stannis is heir, everyone revolts when Stannis immediately doles out punishment for every crime and slight for the last 20 years. Tywin becomes King of the West fighting in the riverlands against the North and crown, Highgarden still sides with Renly while the Vale and Dorne bury their heads in the sand. Balon still revolts against the whole world for no reason and no chance.

Not sure where you're getting that from.

Tyrion is almost as clever as he thinks he is, but not quite.

Otherwise he'd have pretended not to notice Cat there, in that place where you wouldn't think to find her, until he had a much better idea what was going on.

That means she's not under pressure to give him an answer as to why she was there instead of at Winterfell with Bran, which gives her a moment more to think "I want him to face the king's justice, he's on his way back to KL where the king is, so I'll just avoid him and let him go on his way and rush up to Riverrun and send a raven to Ned so that Ned can have him arrested and brought before Robert as soon as he gets back to KL."

At which point Littlefinger is hosed. As we learn later, Robert is familiar with the dagger in question, and knows who won it from whom betting on whom.

But Tyrion does speak to her, and she can't come up with a good lie, so she comes up with a posse instead.

There's probably still a war but with a different trigger and that can change much based on what it is.

Ned not being incapacitated by Jaime for at a critical moment could change a lot. Does he successfully go back to Winterfell? If Ned is back in Winterfell, it's a completely different story.

i dont think much would be. LF would need a new plan to initiate the stark vs lannister war but hed think of something. likely just use ned and his code of honor to his advantage. even if cat doesnt capture tyrion, ned is still going to keep investigating what happened to jon arryn.

ned likely still tells cersei of his plans, that still leads to cersei finding a way to kill robert to hide the secret and ned still goes on trial for treason when he still wants stannis on the iron throne.

the only real differences would be the riverlands not getting burned, ned getting beheaded without a broken leg and robert possibly dying in a different manner.

or who knows? maybe everything is completely different lol.

i dont think much would be. LF would need a new plan to initiate the stark vs lannister war but hed think of something. likely just use ned and his code of honor to his advantage. even if cat doesnt capture tyrion, ned is still going to keep investigating what happened to jon arryn.

Actually, he was leaving King's Landing after resigning as a hand when he was intercepted and injured in a scuffle with Jaime's men. Jaime was furious because of the capture of his brother by Catelyn. Catelyn not capturing Tyrion means Jaime doesn't intercept Ned, which means there is serious chance Ned leaves King's Landing with Arya and Sansa.

LF can't allow Tyrion to reach King's Landing. So I guess Littlefinger has Tyrion murdered on the road and, somehow, implicates the Starks/whispers in Cersei's ear. Robert won't be buying it, though, so maybe LF tries to arrange the pieces so Cersei murders Robert anyway while Ned is still at KL and has reasons and maybe flimsy evidence to accuse her, while still outnumbered at least 2 to 1

Ta-Da! There you have your war

Well, first, we wouldn't have posters saying "the war is her fault!!!!!". They would be blaming... mmm.... Let's see... who else with a vagina they could blame?... hmmmm.... LF is a man... no idea... :/ :dunno:

Poor, poor Sansa. :mellow:

Archived